GS1000 GPS Problem

just like a washing machine breaks down a day or two after the warranty expires - Aliexpress released money to the seller, and - no more GPS reception. At least not after 5-10 minutes, haven't tried longer trips yet. Before it was picking up sattelite signal in a matter of seconds, one minute maximum. The camera is on the same position all the time. I guess reset-button is a No.1 choice now.

P.S.: now, after 2-3 days of GPS-"darkness", just decided to work again, without my interfering. Now the GPS-icon goes green in a matter of seconds. I hope it stays like that for ever :)
P.S.2: today morning, clear blue sky, again no green GPS icon. But I did make a change with the power supply - not using the original any more; now using 12V-to-double USB output, 1A and 2A current. I noticed it doesn't work well with 500mA output current adapter, but the original is declarated 1A, so I thought 1A-replacement should be ok. Will do a test today.
P.S.3: pushed a reset-button, twice, no GPS. Using the original power supply: no GPS. Out of ideas.
Other users complained about GPS from the day one they got the camera. Mine was working fine for the first 3-4 weeks, now it just stopped.
I asked the seller about it; they said "send it back". Ok, will do...

Hi

Does your car have a heated windshield?
Heated windscreen has thin wires that make
malfunction of the GPS or navigation.

Filip

it's Renault Twingo 2003, no heated windshield. It was working well on the same position for 3-4 weeks, now it's gone. I see the green GPS icon for a few seconds occasionaly, but it's mostly yellow (no reception).
FAQ says:
- Dash Cam is installed near metal parts. Try moving it to another location on the windshield. May also occur if using metal brackets, fasteners, etc. - there was no problem on this position for several weeks, but I'll try to use it outside the car to rule out this problem;
- Firmware. Try a different version of firmware. - I guess the warranty is no longer valid if you mess with firmware;
- The GPS receiver is in close proximity to a metal clip inside the dash cam. The metal clip interferes with the GPS reception - I guess that's inside the dashcam, so it's a problem in a construction of a dashcam. But again - it was working perfectly for 3-4 weeks.

P.S.4: I accidentally forgot to insert the SD-card, and the GPS-icon went green in less than 2 minutes !
Turned the camera off, waited for 1-2 minutes, turned it back on - a GPS-icon went green in a few seconds !

Ok, so I replaced the Kingston 32GB c10 SD-card with Sandisk 32GB c10, and drove arround for 10-15 minutes: no GPS reception.
The next day: SD-card out; GPS goes green in less than two minutes. Camera off, wait 1-2 minutes, camera back on: GPS goes green in a few seconds.
What the h* is going on ??

Put your card back in, power on the camera from its own battery, don't connect any power lead, how long to get GPS then?

jokiin said:
Put your card back in, power on the camera from its own battery, don't connect any power lead, how long to get GPS then?
3-4 minutes. Not on a steady position; I was walking arround with it.
Then the camera was off for about 20 minutes (brunch time).
After that, camera back on: GPS went green in 2 seconds.
Then camera off, mounted it back to the car holder on a dashboard, car-power-supply connected: GPS icon went green with no delay (regard power-on-delay is set to 10 seconds when on car charger).

I did the same test yesterday, but the GPS icon didn't go green; I guess I didn't wait for 3-4 minutes.
Can you make some conclusion out of that ? I already tried different 12V/5V USB car charger with a different cable, and there was no GPS reception, so I guess it's not about faulty car charger.

I'm just on the way to a meeting at the moment, will post some relevant info about the GPS later tonight when I'm back in front of my PC

I think I already saw some general stuff about GPS on this forum; wasn't it something about how the system needs 25 minutes to download some stuff from the satellite ?

The problem with my camera is, that it worked well for 3-4 weeks, now it doesn't work any more.
So I have to describe the error as preciselly as possible, otherwise the seller will check it, found out it works (at that moment), and send it back with the same problem.

And I also have to travel to the capital city to the customs office to send the camera from there, otherwise they will charge customs again for the repaired/replaced camera. So it's in my best interest to send the camera back to the seller for repairment only once.

I did some more testing, and it looks like this:
- drove to work: car charger
- 8 hours later driving back home: internal battery
- to work: battery
- back home: car charger
- and so on: in most cases, GPS icon never goes green, it stays yellow.

Next test:
- today with SD-card
- tomorrow no SD-card
- next day with SD-card
- and so on: in most cases, GPS icon goes green without SD-card, and stays yellow with SD-card.

So, it must be something about the SD-card, the SD-card socket, or software (different behaviour of the camera with or without the SD-card: recording-not recording, power on delay-power off delay, etc).

I ruled out the SD-card by replacing Kingston 32GB c10 with Sandisk 32GB c10, and it had no effect. I don't know about the other two causes. I guess I'll really have to ship the cam back to China :evil:

Hello! I've made my story with this problem a topic so that it's easier to find:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1683

Hope this solution helps! Because no GPS signal is very frustrating!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, I read it, but since my camera was working well in the first 3 weeks I bought it, I guess it's not a design flaw in my case, so I sent it back to the seller with a detailed description of the problem.

Back