GS900 (VF960S)

WhiteEightBall said:
An open source cam, unbeknownst to me on how such a thing operates, I think would be amazing.

most cams run an embedded Linux O/S (or a derivative of) so technically it's probably possible for anyone that knows enough about it and has access to the source code to make mods to the firmware and roll their own so to speak, it's not like there aren't people out there that build cams that know what they're doing but sometimes the community is better at thinking outside the square when it comes to adding features or overcoming problems, a fresh set of eyes often leads to some good development, it quite often raises the status of the product as well

I know some suppliers freak out when people start modding firmware, personally I'm all for it and would have no issue with it happening with any camera I do, I'd look at it as a bonus if anything

Mirar said:
Any chance you can give me all your settings, and I'll try to duplicate the exact same ones?

Ok here goes:

video:
quality: super fine
resolution: 1080P30
motion detect: off
video duration: 3 min
loop video: on
crash sensitivity: 8G
parking mode: off
upside down: off

setup:
LCD off: 3 min
auto power off: 3 min
time setup: I've set this to UTC time to match the GPS log time
volume : 04
reset system settings: ....
format: ....
language: english
stamp: date/time
beep sound: on
firmware version: FW VER:20130509

AAA:
flicher: 50 HZ
contrast: standard
sharpness: standard
ae iso: auto
white balance: auto
ae bias: 0
ae meter mode: center

reenari said:
'Ok here goes:

Fascinating. These settings make the camera work totally ok.
Even the accelerometer value is fixed. GPS works. No breaks between files.

Camera is a bit dark still, but maybe that can be fixed with the AE settings.

Thank you!

I previously did "just" a factory default, and then it didn't record anything at all...! (But the menu got Russian.)
So anything but those settings and the camera might bug in quite unexpected ways.

Now everything that's missing is RegistratorViewer. :)

Mirar said:
reenari said:
'Ok here goes:

Fascinating. These settings make the camera work totally ok.

nah, there are still plenty of bugs.
  1. Try to figure out how the SOS button works, for me it is always protecting the wrong file. I need to test this more thoroughly still.
  2. The snapshot button on top does not do anything, you can take snapshot using one of the arrow keys. (the other mutes the mic)
  3. Press SOS and switch of the power, and camera turns itself immediately off. very bad in case of an accident.
  4. No GPS speed and bearing values in the .txt files

Mirar said:
Now everything that's missing is RegistratorViewer. :)

I'm still waiting that foxoffer would relase new FW version that fixes the problems. I was planning to
write a small script that would convert the .txt to something that RegistratorViewer would understand, but
that is after I have tested how the crash detection works. If it is like the SOS button then it is not worth the effort to spent.

reenari said:
nah, there are still plenty of bugs.

Yes, well, I did say "ok" and not "perfect"... :)

Put it this way: Compared to not registering much at all, or nothing, it's improved enough I don't remove it from the car and toss it.

Speed and bearing you can calculate from the longlat. I have an algorithm if you're interested. It'll be slightly more rough since the GPS usually has a speed and bearing worked out with kalman filters, that keeps steady even if it's adjusting the position in an orthogonal direction.

I'm a little bit more annoyed over the fact it doesn't seem to write the .txt file at all if the GPS isn't receiving.

The crash detection is also worrying - if it's like the SOS button and shuts down on power loss, it's a little annoying.
Turning off crash detection also turns off the accelerometer, so you'll get 0,0,0 in the logs.

Also annoying is that it stops recording on power loss. I can't seem to figure out how to get it to record say 30 seconds extra. Is that possible somehow?

Big problems with the GS 900 software. As soon as it starts reading the GPS (txt) file the program crash. It starts playing but after 30 seconds I get a fault message and the program has to be closed down.
The map shows a place in Taiwan all the time, and I get no speed, accelerometer or compass readings.
After more than one and a half month FoxOffer has not come up with any solutions. I have installed the new firmware and player tool but nothing helps.
It's strange but the camera sometimes record in a format PICTXXXX.mov and sometimes as MOVEXXXX.mov????
I have sent them logfiles and recordings when the program crash but no answer. They say that it works on their computer.
It is obvious something wrong with the GPS-file.
Has anybody come up with a solution??
I should have returned the camera immediately but they promised to solve the problem.

Swedenwiz said:
Big problems with the GS 900 software. As soon as it starts reading the GPS (txt) file the program crash. It starts playing but after 30 seconds I get a fault message and the program has to be closed down.

Want to put some files online to test with? It seemed to work for me with the latest firmware.
Also try with the settings above. Everything else bugged a lot for me...

mariomart said:
jokiin said:
don't buy a submarine just yet, the mid ocean GPS issue is an easy firmware fix, I'd suggest sending them one of the txt files so they can see why it's out

I sent them one line out of the txt file. I'm a pretty patient person, but what with the issues I had with the GS9000 and now the issues with the GS900 I'm sure most of you could understand how frustrating it all is. All I simply want is a DVR that I can plug in and it tells me what I need to know accurately without exception. Is it really that hard?

I tried a fair few before I found one that was really good.
The one I have Is the stancom pro car cam. They sell out of the West in Australia.

It does everything I want in a camera. It has a 2.7" back screen, I set it to turn on when I put my car key ion to start to car and set it to record
30 seconds after I turn the car off. Have mine set to record in 5 min blocks. The player software plays the first file then continues with the files recorded below it.
The viewer program which tracks location, speed and average speed with date and time is also recorded.

Have mine set to 1080p recording. It does a better recording than my sony hd camera which records at 1080p. Problem with my sony is at night it doesn't record to well
after the sun has gone down but with the stancom cam it records very well. The night mode button and its even better. It sees what my eyes can't see when playing it back.

With the cam I use I see side streets over in the distance and even picked up a ****roach moving across the road. It really does pick up everything and does it very well and detailed.

Techmoan on youtube has many cams they've looked at. That guy gave the vs900 a good review. A couple things techmoan didn't like was the mount which took up to much screen space and the audio wasn't to well heard which isn't a concern with him but maybe with others. I think you need good audio to show if you the driver had your indicators on or not in case you are accused of not indicating when turning.

Each to their own.

Matt789 said:
I tried a fair few before I found one that was really good.
The one I have Is the stancom pro car cam. They sell out of the West in Australia.

Each to their own.

Glad you found a cam that is doing well. My GS9000 was like that, but let down by the mounting system. It looks like the stancom uses the same mounting system as the GS9000, which could be troublesome further down the track. I had lots of issues with the electrical mount not connecting properly and losing power/gps. Hopefully yours will hold out.

Anyone try the version without GPS (G900/VF960)?

I have just got one these GS900 after seeing the review on http://www.techmoan.com well made camera i am using it a truck so size not a problem.He siad the mic was bad but its really bad picks up only like your whispering the radio not even hearble . The files are very clear even night ones . And you cannot keep tbe screen on when using only stays on for 3mins 1min or 30 seconds when you start OK for postioning. Just wish the mic was better. The hole for the mic is very small so if it were demeled larger maybe better .

Last edited by a moderator:
robertthegreat said:
I have just got one these GS900 after seeing the review on http://www.techmoan.com well made camera i am using it a truck so size not a problem.He siad the mic was bad but its really bad picks up only like your whispering the radio not even hearble . The files are very clear even night ones . And you cannot keep tbe screen on when using only stays on for 3mins 1min or 30 seconds when you start OK for postioning. Just wish the mic was better. The hole for the mic is very small so if it were demeled larger maybe better .

I drilled my GS900 mic hole out a little. Definitely picks up more now. I'm very happy with my unit, just waiting for new firmware and software to fix the GPS issues and once that happens should be a highly recommended unit.

Swedenwiz wrote:Big problems with the GS 900 software. As soon as it starts reading the GPS (txt) file the program crash. It starts playing but after 30 seconds I get a fault message and the program has to be closed down.

Want to put some files online to test with? It seemed to work for me with the latest firmware.
Also try with the settings above. Everything else bugged a lot for me...

Yes I have tried the suggested setting. Nothing helps. I have also tried the software on Three different computers (XP & Win7).
Not a word from Foxoffer in a month in spite that they promissed to come back with a solution.
Here is a link to how the software behave.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGoz35NX1o0

Ihave the gs900 without the gps i only want better recording /louder sound from the mic. The truck i drive is tracked anyway so no point me having gps. But would like to hear the indicators/turn signals sound.to prove i was using them in the event of a problem.

i have the gs9000 in a car, and indicator noise can clearer be heard, even with slight music on.

I see on foxoffer there is a firmware update for the GS900 in the blog section its new

robertthegreat said:
I see on foxoffer there is a firmware update for the GS900 in the blog section its new

Sorry Rob, but that firmware and software has been available for nearly 6 weeks. We are still waiting on the new firmware which should address the issues with GPS accuracy and hopefully a few other little niceties. The player software is still completely useless.

Cheers :) Mario

An interesting observation I made today. last night I took my micro SD card out to watch some footage, but I forgot to put it back in. This morning I went for a drive, sans SD card, and I noticed that my GPS picked up a signal within about 15 seconds, but normally with my SD card installed it takes around 3 minutes to get a signal. I reinstalled the card and it again takes around 3 minutes for a signal. What gives? I'm using a Genuine Sandisk Class 10 card.

mariomart said:
An interesting observation I made today. last night I took my micro SD card out to watch some footage, but I forgot to put it back in. This morning I went for a drive, sans SD card, and I noticed that my GPS picked up a signal within about 15 seconds, but normally with my SD card installed it takes around 3 minutes to get a signal. I reinstalled the card and it again takes around 3 minutes for a signal. What gives? I'm using a Genuine Sandisk Class 10 card.

if you just turn it on (card in) but without recording does it pickup signal quicker also?

Back