GS900 (VF960S)

jokiin said:
if you just turn it on (card in) but without recording does it pickup signal quicker also?

I'll have to check in the morning. Is this a behaviour that you've come across before jokiin?

mariomart said:
jokiin said:
if you just turn it on (card in) but without recording does it pickup signal quicker also?

I'll have to check in the morning. Is this a behaviour that you've come across before jokiin?

sort of, let me know how it goes if you just power on but don't record, you need to make sure the situation is the same to compare, eg, hasn't been used for same period, overnight or whatever, startup in same location, undercover or out on the open etc

jokiin said:
sort of, let me know how it goes if you just power on but don't record, you need to make sure the situation is the same to compare, eg, hasn't been used for same period, overnight or whatever, startup in same location, undercover or out on the open etc

Okay, the results of this mornings testing.

Conditions: Clear sky, car parked outside, camera mounted on windscreen in normal position, running on internal battery only, NO recording, unit had not been on for over 12 hours.

Test 1: No SD card. GPS signal gained after 40 seconds.
Test 2: With 32Gb Sandisk Ultra Class 10 card. No GPS signal received after 6 minutes, so I gave up.
Test 3: Repeated test 1 with no SD card. GPS signal gained after 40 seconds.
Test 4: Repeated test 2 with 32Gb card. No GPS signal received after 6 minutes, so I gave up.
Test 5: With 8Gb Verbatim Class 4 SD card. GPS signal gained after 35 seconds.

This testing seems to indicate the unit has a problem with certain SD cards, resulting in no GPS signal. I'm going to go buy a different brand SD card, possibly Class 6.

Jokiin, what causes this and what is your recommendation?

Cheers :) Mario

Okay, just did another test.

Test 6: Formatted 32Gb SanDisk SD card on PC and then in unit. GPS signal in 35 seconds.

It has to be something to do with the reading of the SD card when it's full.

mariomart said:
Okay, just did another test.

Test 6: Formatted 32Gb SanDisk SD card on PC and then in unit. GPS signal in 35 seconds.

It has to be something to do with the reading of the SD card when it's full.

how long had it been since the GSP last had signal when you tried this?

jokiin said:

I performed the last test after about 1 hour after Test 5. I've been driving around today and the signal is being picked up within 60 seconds, even after parking underground for several hours.
There is definitely a link between GPS signal and the state of the SD card.

mariomart said:
jokiin said:

I performed the last test after about 1 hour after Test 5. I've been driving around today and the signal is being picked up within 60 seconds, even after parking underground for several hours.
There is definitely a link between GPS signal and the state of the SD card.

among other things the results will vary depending on the state of the GPS, cold start, warm start or hot start, there's some reading material here about what is happening in the background http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_signals

there may be some connection to what's going on with your memory card, there shouldn't be, would be a firmware addressable bug if there is, whether you can get that sorted or not is a very big question, support is very lacking from a lot of factories as they simply don't know how to fix things, some just don't care, I'm not sure where yours is from and where they sit support wise

Last edited by a moderator:
Since re-formatting the 32Gb SD card the GS900 has been behaving. Cold start in the morning takes about 40 seconds.

New firmware for GS900/G900 (VF960S/VF960) has been released in the FoxOffer blog HERE

This firmware fixes the issue of low sound volume in the video files. It has also fixed the GPS accuracy issues. It also now appears to acquire satellites a lot faster, at least with my unit. There was a weird glitch with my unit after the second reboot, where it reverted back to Chinese menus, however after re entering the settings they appear to have now saved correctly. If this affects you go to the settings page, the Language setting is on the second page, third down from the top, just scroll through until English appears.

The Player Tool is still f**ked, and no other player works with the format generated by the DVR, so the ability to show a track is still being eagerly awaited.

Not sure what sort of instructions were offered but I always recommend resetting defaults after doing an update, not all cameras have sensible defaults so I can understand why people might be hesitant to do this with some models but it is good practice

jokiin said:
Not sure what sort of instructions were offered but I always recommend resetting defaults after doing an update, not all cameras have sensible defaults so I can understand why people might be hesitant to do this with some models but it is good practice

Yeah, I did a reset to defaults after the Chinese menu intervened. Good practice.

Cheers :)

Will this work on the G900 to improve the sound recordings. I down loaded it opened the file and it has the two versions one with GPS and without. So went ahead installed it and tested now the sound is 100% better.Will do a further check when driving tomorrow. Just happy that i waited before i opened the mic hole up.
Thanks Rob

robertthegreat said:
Will this work on the G900 to improve the sound recordings. I down loaded it opened the file and it has the two versions one with GPS and without. So went ahead installed it and tested now the sound is 100% better.Will do a further check when driving tomorrow. Just happy that i waited before i opened the mic hole up.
Thanks Rob
I have noticed that now i have a satellite symbol on the screen,i wonder if they got the different models mixed up. do you think its worth trying the update one with GPS to see if it goes away. or will it cause firmware damage ???

Re: Registrator Viewer

mariomart said:
Gifts from the Gods ;)
I have to do some publicity and promotion.
Or nobody will know :)
Sorry, If it look like a spam.

Vadikus said:
mariomart said:
Gifts from the Gods ;)Thank you.
I have to do some publicity and promotion.
Or nobody will know :)
Sorry, If it look like a spam.

doesn't look like spam, but don't worry about people not knowing, your program gets mentioned here all the time, I've mentioned it plenty of times as have others, it's really the best playback option there is for dash cameras

you should add a link to your website in your signature, then all your previous posts will have this also ;)

Vadikus said:
Registrator Viewer supports your dashcam now!
That pushed it into my cart, awaiting shipment now....
Thanks Vadikus!

New firmware for all versions of the GS900 (VF960S) have been released HERE .

According to that page the new firmware provides "Fixed low volume problem, can show speed data on video for GPS version, automatic synchronization time with Satellite".

Sounds like they are really trying to support this model and are taking notice of customer advice (I sent a "few" emails to them about putting the speed on the video :D ).

I haven't tested it for bugs yet, but I'll be going for a drive in a few minutes and I'll check it later.

Back