GS9000 battery and other issues

I also noticed the LED blinking instead of staying on. That might explain why the battery died & my camera shut down while it was plugged in and I was driving yesterday and it forgot the time/date again.
But I'm stuck with it now, are there any known resolutions?

This is kind of a dealbreaker because a camera needs to be reliable, if something happens its purpose is to record it, not have something happen and then find out later that the camera didn't even bother recording at that time.

cantremember said:
I also noticed the LED blinking instead of staying on. That might explain why the battery died & my camera shut down while it was plugged in and I was driving yesterday and it forgot the time/date again.
But I'm stuck with it now, are there any known resolutions?

This is kind of a dealbreaker because a camera needs to be reliable, if something happens its purpose is to record it, not have something happen and then find out later that the camera didn't even bother recording at that time.

I have already been through the resolution process with FoxOffer and the end result was that I returned my GS9000 for a full refund. There are no known fixes for this issue. They were very good about it and relatively hassle free.

I have opened a ticket in DX with a complaint with photo about this issues. Firstly they have asked me to took this DVR to local shop to find if they can repair it. After this, they say that I can send this item back to them or as a choice they can give a discount for other item. I'm very disappointed with such service, I've waited a month for this DVR, now it's nearly unusable, and I don't know what to do. If I will send it back, then I have to wait for another 2 months until I can receive new one. maybe someone have experience in such situations, is there easier way to solve this problem?:) Russian owners of GS9000 have already hardly soldered wires from DVR to suction mount, so they have eliminated issues with contacts(but now they cannot disassemble DVR from suction mount). overheating issue is still remaining.

Removing the cam from the mount is kind of a hassle anyway, so soldering it to it doesn't really change much IMO.
Yes, having to send it back, pay more custom & postage and waiting for it to arrive and a new one to show up, too much hassle so I'll just live with the one I have now. It's a shame really because featurewise (GPS and picture quality) it's a fine dashcam, just the reliability, grr.

for now I have little bit modified my mounting cradle(not my picture, got from taker.im):
post-295194-0-66500000-1369346301.jpg

so as you see, there is little dots with contact area, I have placed there pressed aluminium foil into contacts GND and DC5V(most electrical loaded), so contact now is more tighter. at least, dashcam now turns on and works for an hours. but unfortunately, it still sometimes freezes and resets the time and date. so I am thinking about soldering ordinary pin contacts, that are used widely, like this:
sku_145616_1.jpg

there are 5 pins, dimensions are very close to original GS9000 contacts, so I have to try this. it's still detachable and I hope will have a stable contact.

Unfortunately only way I made it reliable was to turn of GPS and crash sensor, never freezes, resets or time changes anymore, I don't really need both features anyways, picture quality is more what I was after and wide angle lens.

ShPioN said:
I have opened a ticket in DX with a complaint with photo about this issues.
Finally, DX agreed to return me compensation of $28.9(original cost was $108.9).

Is there new firmware for the GS9000? That might at least solve the freezing problem as I can't be bothered to send it back and get something else.

cantremember said:
Is there new firmware for the GS9000? That might at least solve the freezing problem as I can't be bothered to send it back and get something else.
freezing I think comes from bad contact between dashcam and suction mount. if red LED on your GS9000 blinks, then your dashcam will freeze time to time, because there is no enough power for it to work...I have tested my GS9000 after little modification yesterday, no freezes, even if it is very hot outside(35* C).

Hello.
Reference information.

http://youtu.be/JyxUhzEHEOY

There are two red and blue LED, it is normal is lit even during a recording.
The brightness of the red LED is but little low in the voltage drop during recording,
Brightness is higher LCD goes to OFF.
Charge will continue red LED is lit after turning OFF.
If we continue the recording remain red LED is not lit,
It is a mechanism to shut down automatically when the battery inside is gone.
:!:

Last edited by a moderator:
so, is there any other resolution to the battery issue, other than returning which is a PITA and using aluminum foil which I am going to try. I can't believe that they have such loose tolerances that the unit doesn't charge

bobn27613 said:
so, is there any other resolution to the battery issue, other than returning which is a PITA and using aluminum foil which I am going to try. I can't believe that they have such loose tolerances that the unit doesn't charge
this method helped me.

Improving the connection between the mount and camera solved many problems for me. However one I still cannot solve: If the GPS is enabled, the camera firmware often freezes. It still displays video on screen, but the timestamp OSD's etc are frozen and no button does anything. Only solution is to wait for the battery to drain, and then I can restart it again (but then ofcourse the timestamp is wrong again).

Is there any firmware solution? I have the latest one from foxoffer. OR change the timestamp into a simple timer which just counts from the time the recording started, makes more sense than a date showing the year 2105 and I wouldn't need to reset the date every week.

so will the spring from a BIC type lighter do the trick?

Back