GT450W WDR F1.6 Shadow-Tec by TioTech dash cam

JazzTalk said:
jokiin said:
that cube is a great size, no doubt if it went full HD it would have grown in size, remote cams can get down smaller than that though which is probably the way for the most discrete solutions

cube form factor is great. hope i can buy one in taiwan.

why?

JazzTalk said:
jokiin said:
that cube is a great size, no doubt if it went full HD it would have grown in size, remote cams can get down smaller than that though which is probably the way for the most discrete solutions

Try to get one from fox offer if you can wait....

My GT450W arrived yesterday. I ordered it from FoxOffer with free postage and it took 10 days to get to me in Australia, which is pretty good. I paid $113 USD.

The camera seems to be working well and produces high quality video in daylight. On the highest quality setting, it uses about 113MB of data a minute. The quality of the video definitely walks all over my contour roam. I did a couple of test videos last night on the default settings. A downfall I found was that the video suffers from a bit of motion blur when it comes to finer details like number plates etc in poor lighting. I'd assume the shutter speed automatically slows down at night to let more light in and hence the slight motion blur effect. In saying that, it's one of the better cameras I've seen in regards to low light detection/performance. I'm yet to play around with the settings to see if the performance can be tweaked.

The camera uses a micro usb port instead of a common mini usb port, which is possibly the reason why FoxOffer / Shadow-Tec doesn't have cable supplies already. They supplied me a very cheap microSD card reader instead.

I'm still not exactly sure what the specifications of the product are. The box it came in isn't label GT450W and in the specs on the side it say "F/1.4" "Lens Angle: 1.5 / 2.0 / 2.5 / 2.7 / 3.0 / 4.0" leading me to believe that the box is just a generic box Shadow-Tec use to put any WDR camera in.

If anyone's interested, after a couple of test runs I might upload a few videos.

Quintas said:
JazzTalk said:
jokiin said:

Try to get one from fox offer if you can wait....

no. i had very bad experience of buying stuff from this kind of website, especially from overseas seller.
waiting for long time, bad service...nightmare. i rather pay more to local dealer to get better service.
i think i will just ask shadow's taiwan dealer if they have this model in taiwan

JazzTalk said:
no. i had very bad experience of buying stuff from this kind of website, especially from overseas seller.
waiting for long time, bad service...nightmare. i rather pay more to local dealer to get better service.
i think i will just ask shadow's taiwan dealer if they have this model in taiwan

Normally, can use sf-express to ship to Taiwan, it should arrive in 2 days.
Of course, if can get almost same price, it is best buy from local.

d65288 said:
My GT450W arrived yesterday. I ordered it from FoxOffer with free postage and it took 10 days to get to me in Australia, which is pretty good. I paid $113 USD.

The camera seems to be working well and produces high quality video in daylight. On the highest quality setting, it uses about 113MB of data a minute. The quality of the video definitely walks all over my contour roam. I did a couple of test videos last night on the default settings. A downfall I found was that the video suffers from a bit of motion blur when it comes to finer details like number plates etc in poor lighting. I'd assume the shutter speed automatically slows down at night to let more light in and hence the slight motion blur effect. In saying that, it's one of the better cameras I've seen in regards to low light detection/performance. I'm yet to play around with the settings to see if the performance can be tweaked.

The camera uses a micro usb port instead of a common mini usb port, which is possibly the reason why FoxOffer / Shadow-Tec doesn't have cable supplies already. They supplied me a very cheap microSD card reader instead.

I'm still not exactly sure what the specifications of the product are. The box it came in isn't label GT450W and in the specs on the side it say "F/1.4" "Lens Angle: 1.5 / 2.0 / 2.5 / 2.7 / 3.0 / 4.0" leading me to believe that the box is just a generic box Shadow-Tec use to put any WDR camera in.

If anyone's interested, after a couple of test runs I might upload a few videos.

Please upload some DAY and NIGHT sample... but not to YouTube (if possible), as they don't represent the originals.

PiCASSiMO said:
d65288 said:

Please upload some DAY and NIGHT sample... but not to YouTube (if possible), as they don't represent the originals.

I've detected a number of major issues with the GT450W after a few days testing. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this unit.

1. After about an hour of use, the center of the camera becomes unfocused. I've uploaded a short clip to youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0kNmYPIrM). Unfortunately the raw files are about 350mb per 3 minutes of video and I don't have a website to upload the raw files to. If you watch the video, the very right side of the video appears to be the only part focused. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. I'll try to upload some more videos from when the unit is cold and hot, night and day, when I have the time.

2. A full battery charge gives about 1 minute worth of use before it dies. Faulty? It does seem to keep the time/date though.

3. The USB connection doesn't seem to work at all. I tested it with a USB7 cable (originally I thought it used a micro USB cable), the only cable I could find that matches the port size, and neither of my two computers detected the camera. Further to this, the camera doesn't detect the connection either, and doesn't accept charge / power from the USB port. I've tested the cable and it works fine on my pentax camera. Maybe I'm using the incorrect cable? The instructions nor Tio-tech/Shadow-Tec/FoxOffer don't give any indication of what the appropriate USB cable is to use. This is frustrating as I have to remove the microSD card every time I want to download the files, putting the delicate microSD card in risk of damage. The microSD card reader provided in the box is very low quality and I stopped using it after it corrupted my video files.

I also noted that when the camera is cold, it is still very slightly out of focus in the center but nowhere near as much when it is warm. The software on the camera wouldn't let me turn off WDR either.

I assume these problems would class the camera as defective. Hopefully FoxOffer honors its return policy and gives me a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
d65288 said:
PiCASSiMO said:
d65288 said:

I've detected a number of major issues with the GT450W after a few days testing. I wouldn't recommend purchasing this unit.

1. After about an hour of use, the center of the camera becomes unfocused. I've uploaded a short clip to youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0kNmYPIrM). Unfortunately the raw files are about 350mb per 3 minutes of video and I don't have a website to upload the raw files to. If you watch the video, the very right side of the video appears to be the only part focused. Leave a comment and let me know what you think. I'll try to upload some more videos from when the unit is cold and hot, night and day, when I have the time.

2. A full battery charge gives about 1 minute worth of use before it dies. Faulty? It does seem to keep the time/date though.

3. The USB connection doesn't seem to work at all. I tested it with a USB7 cable (originally I thought it used a micro USB cable), the only cable I could find that matches the port size, and neither of my two computers detected the camera. Further to this, the camera doesn't detect the connection either, and doesn't accept charge / power from the USB port. I've tested the cable and it works fine on my pentax camera. Maybe I'm using the incorrect cable? The instructions nor Tio-tech/Shadow-Tec/FoxOffer don't give any indication of what the appropriate USB cable is to use. This is frustrating as I have to remove the microSD card every time I want to download the files, putting the delicate microSD card in risk of damage. The microSD card reader provided in the box is very low quality and I stopped using it after it corrupted my video files.

I also noted that when the camera is cold, it is still very slightly out of focus in the center but nowhere near as much when it is warm. The software on the camera wouldn't let me turn off WDR either.

I assume these problems would class the camera as defective. Hopefully FoxOffer honors its return policy and gives me a refund.

Looked at the video... appears that both left and right side are in focus, except for the middle (and most important) part of the lens. The left is in focus when you see the RADIOLOGY sign clearly, just like the right side and the 3284-3030 phone number at the Skin Cancer Center. The rest is blurry, something that I've experienced with my 808 DR32 which I purchased from FoxOffer. Very disappointed as only the far sides were relatively in focus, but everything else was a mess. I'll share my videos shortly.

I got RMA number to return my DR32 but had problems with sending it back via US Post Office (China doesn't allow for any "camera" device to be shipped into their country: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm):

Country Conditions for Mailing — China

Prohibitions (130)

Arms, ammunition, weapons.
Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators.

I then proceed in creating my own prepaid mailing label via USPS online and managed to get it to scan and ship. Almost 7-weeks later I haven't got any response back from Foxoffer until I e-mailed them again asking the status of my RMA. They asked me to wait a few more days, which I agreed but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think the bottom line is that these Dash Cam units are more of a scam than anything else. I've seen beautiful footage of my DR32 from the early days, including Techmoan who convinced me it was the right unit to buy, but ultimately I got a dud. The other DR32 units people post appear to be similar, if not a little better than my defective unit. I say scam, as I think they place quality lenses on the pre-production units that are given to distributors, but when the go in mass production, they save money and release crap. The GT450W videos from Foxoffer were very promising, but you validated that it's just going to be a one way trip (meaning you'll have a hard time returning your defect Dash Cam at YOUR cost). Yes, I had to dishout $16 USD to get my DR32 to be send from USA to China.

Please let me know how FoxOffer treats your situation, and perhaps you might just get a refund without having to go through what I'm still going through almost 2-months later.

I just received my GT450W and wanted to add my 2 cents. The camera was ordered on 7/24/13 and arrived 8/7/31.

***UPDATE*** I have retracted my initial review of picture quality due to an improvement in low light noise level when the camera is mounted in a different vehicle than I used in my initial review. I will post a follow up review with video samples.

The correct USB cable was included with my camera and it works as expected. I use a Mac running OS/X 10.8.4 and the camera powers up when connected via USB and the computer recognizes the memory card in the camera. The camera also shows up in Windows XP as a removable drive. I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB memory card and it appears to work properly in the camera. I can't turn off the WDR in the menus - there is only an option for ON. Pressing the MENU button while the camera is recording locks the current recording file. Motion detection and G-sensing are functional as well. HDMI out works properly with the included cable however the location of the connector in relation to the camera controls causes the HDMI cable to block the controls needed to move through and play back the recorded files. The current firmware on my camera is version: GT450W 1307170EN10 E03.

The small size and form factor is nice. The mount works well and seems solid. The camera can be powered through a USB connection as well as a coaxial power connection. I prefer coaxial power cable over the USB connection. Its a very solid connection and I think it will hold up better over time than a USB cable connection.

I assume these problems would class the camera as defective. Hopefully FoxOffer honors its return policy and gives me a refund.[/quote]

Looked at the video... appears that both left and right side are in focus, except for the middle (and most important) part of the lens. The left is in focus when you see the RADIOLOGY sign clearly, just like the right side and the 3284-3030 phone number at the Skin Cancer Center. The rest is blurry, something that I've experienced with my 808 DR32 which I purchased from FoxOffer. Very disappointed as only the far sides were relatively in focus, but everything else was a mess. I'll share my videos shortly.

I got RMA number to return my DR32 but had problems with sending it back via US Post Office (China doesn't allow for any "camera" device to be shipped into their country: http://pe.usps.com/text/imm/ce_009.htm):

Country Conditions for Mailing — China

Prohibitions (130)

Arms, ammunition, weapons.
Wrist-watches, cameras, television sets, radio sets, tape records, bicycles, sewing machines, and ventilators.

I then proceed in creating my own prepaid mailing label via USPS online and managed to get it to scan and ship. Almost 7-weeks later I haven't got any response back from Foxoffer until I e-mailed them again asking the status of my RMA. They asked me to wait a few more days, which I agreed but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I think the bottom line is that these Dash Cam units are more of a scam than anything else. I've seen beautiful footage of my DR32 from the early days, including Techmoan who convinced me it was the right unit to buy, but ultimately I got a dud. The other DR32 units people post appear to be similar, if not a little better than my defective unit. I say scam, as I think they place quality lenses on the pre-production units that are given to distributors, but when the go in mass production, they save money and release crap. The GT450W videos from Foxoffer were very promising, but you validated that it's just going to be a one way trip (meaning you'll have a hard time returning your defect Dash Cam at YOUR cost). Yes, I had to dishout $16 USD to get my DR32 to be send from USA to China.

Please let me know how FoxOffer treats your situation, and perhaps you might just get a refund without having to go through what I'm still going through almost 2-months later.[/quote]

i had similar situation when the first time i purchased my first mp3 player from oversea online reseller; waste time and money.. i thru the unit into trash can after i waited for long time but no reponse from the online reseller.
i learned that to purchase stuff from online reseller, especially from oversea, is risky. they don;t do service as well as what they claim on website "Our support team will reply you very soon....."

sterfry said:
I just received my GT450W and wanted to add my 2 cents. The camera was ordered on 7/24/13 and arrived 8/7/31.

The performance of the camera I received is not comparable to the videos on the Foxoffer website. The day time performance is not as sharp. Low light performance is substantially worse than the Foxoffer video. There is a lot of noise in the picture - enough to make the video borderline unusable. The noise looks like the lens is covered in dust. The noise is visible with no little to no ambient light and "sparkles" so I'm fairly certain it's not a dirty lens.

The correct USB cable was included with my camera and it works as expected. I use a Mac running OS/X 10.8.4 and the camera powers up when connected via USB and the computer recognizes the memory card in the camera. I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB memory card and it appears to work properly in the camera. I can't turn off the WDR in the menus - there is only an option for ON. The current firmware on my camera is version: GT450W 1307170EN10 E03.

The small size and form factor is nice. The mount works well and seems solid. I like the coaxial power cable instead of USB. Its a very solid connection and I think it will hold up better over time than a USB cable connection.

Overall I will have to agree with d65288 and suggest purchasing a different unit. The noise in the low light video is the deal breaker for me.

Could you please upload and share RAW video files from sunny day, cloudy day, late evening and night recording.
Also, may I ask what other dash cameras models experience you had in the past?

sterfry said:

The performance of the camera I received is not comparable to the videos on the Foxoffer website. The day time performance is not as sharp. Low light performance is substantially worse than the Foxoffer video. There is a lot of noise in the picture - enough to make the video borderline unusable. The noise looks like the lens is covered in dust. The noise is visible with no little to no ambient light and "sparkles" so I'm fairly certain it's not a dirty lens.

The correct USB cable was included with my camera and it works as expected. I use a Mac running OS/X 10.8.4 and the camera powers up when connected via USB and the computer recognizes the memory card in the camera. I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB memory card and it appears to work properly in the camera. I can't turn off the WDR in the menus - there is only an option for ON. The current firmware on my camera is version: GT450W 1307170EN10 E03.

The small size and form factor is nice. The mount works well and seems solid. I like the coaxial power cable instead of USB. Its a very solid connection and I think it will hold up better over time than a USB cable connection.

Overall I will have to agree with d65288 and suggest purchasing a different unit. The noise in the low light video is the deal breaker for me.

Seems like a trend. Show something very nice online and then sell something completely inferior. If you read my earlier post about my experience with the DR32, it was the same. Nothing like the other online videos I've seen. Very disappointing. It seems like for all the camera's it's a one way trip. Sitting without a camera and out $115 USD for 2-months. All I want is my money back so that I can move on with a different solution.

I need to qualify my statements. I'm severely OCD. Daytime video isn't bad it's just not quite as sharp as the Foxoffer images to my eyes. I purchased the camera as a CYA measure in the event someone else involves me in an accident. It's more than good enough to provide proof of who is at fault.

I am doing further investigation on the noise in the low light picture. I connected the camera to a power supply indoors in a completely dark closet and didn't have the "sparkles" I experienced with the camera mounted in the car. The resulting image is completely black with no noise. The only explanations I have right now are that there is an extremely low power IR illuminator in the front of the camera and it's reflecting off some dirt / residue on the windshield or some sort of RF / EM interference with something in my car?? I'm going to clean the windshield again and tape over the area that's potentially an IR illuminator and try some more footage.

Originally I thought I was going to spend $300+ dollars on a dash camera and I spent $115. I think the day time image quality is representative of what I spent. Hopefully my knock on the low light performance is something other than the camera and I can resolve it.

I will post pictures and videos once I'm certain I'm providing images representative of the cameras capabilities and not some outside issue that I'm causing.

Have this dash came for few weeks. Firsts tests are good ( price vs. overall built and video quality ), but final conclusions will do soon.

It trully has TioTech A8 series CPU ( NT96500 ), AR0330 CMOS and 6G Glass lenses.

Below are inner parts of dash camera.

Attachments

• GT450W inside (1).jpg
    GT450W inside (1).jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 261
  • GT450W inside (2).jpg
    GT450W inside (2).jpg
    244 KB · Views: 258
  • GT450W inside (3).jpg
    GT450W inside (3).jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 258
  • GT450W inside (4).jpg
    GT450W inside (4).jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 257
  • GT450W inside (5).jpg
    GT450W inside (5).jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 258
  • GT450W inside (6).jpg
    GT450W inside (6).jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 259
  • GT450W inside (7).jpg
    GT450W inside (7).jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 257
niko said:
Have this dash came for few weeks. Firsts tests are good ( price vs. overall built and video quality ), but final conclusions will do soon.

It trully has TioTech A8 series CPU ( NT96500 ), AR0330 CMOS and 6G Glass lenses.

Below are inner parts of dash camera.

it is really hard to say 6G or 4G Glass Lenses

4 or 6 doesn't matter as much as the result does, there's a lot more to it than how many elements in the lens

I have compared visually on close-up with ls300w and g1w, it looks 99% more like ls300w type lens, but as jokiin mentioned there are many other factors to tell how good or bad is final video quality. As in the past I tested ls300w (6g lens) side by side with gt350w (4g lens) there was not much difference.
I will post side by side ls300w vs gt450w videos by the end of this week.

It took me few days longer than I promised, but here are my tests of night performance: GT450W vs LS300W
After analysing RAW video files comparing them, - I did not see any difference in video quality. So buy the standards of video quality: GT450W and LS300W are the same.
Difference is only in appearance.
GT450W would suit people who want more discrete dash cam installation ( it is smaller in size and almost twice less dash cam area is visible from outside ). Of course "discrete install" depends a lot on type of car you installing it in ( space between wind-shield and rear-view mirror, etc ). LS300W have been on the market for a long time and we know its strong and weak points. It is too early to say any reliability conclusions about GT450W. As some people mentioned earlier in the post about having few minor issues with GT450W, - it maybe take some time for manufacturer to fix them, depending on how public ( end user ) reacts and gives feedback. So it is normal for every new product ( I mean any segment: phones, TV-s, cars, etc ) to have some minor issues on the earlier stage.
After nearly 2 weeks of testing I have not found any big issue yet, but time will tell. The only drawback I found is sound quality recording is less in quality than LS300W ( you will hear from videos. I have muted LS300W sound and recorded a GT450W sound ), but maybe it's because of me listening music too loud and Mic could not handle it, and monetised a quality. Voice recording was OK to listen, but not perfect. LS300W has also an issue with so called "sound waves", but it records a little bit clear sound ( not perfect ) but still slightly better that GT450W. So, if manufacturer of GT450W ( or Vendors ) reading this post, - they could address this issue to engineering department to do some changes with Mic. Actually the microphone issue is very common in low or mid-price range dash cameras ( mostly Chinese make ), so this is known fact and I was not surprised here. For me personally most important is video recording quality and GT450W does it job very well.

I will be posting soon also Day videos comparison LS300W vs GT450W. Also do some video overview of installation process / ideas.
Raw video files can be downloaded here:

http://webfile.ru/folder?id=25708

Just click "СКАЧАТЬ напрямую" there.

Below video I had to upload to youtube again without voice / sound due to copyright issue with music playing from car stereo.

Here I have DOD LS300W vs GT450W on cloudy day.
Video starts with some light city traffic, then highway, then again traffic.
If you look closely to when car passes darker areas, then GT450W video is slightly lighter in those dark areas, especially in front of the car ( on asphalt ). I think GT450W AWB ( auto white balance ) is slightly better than LS300W.
Also colours on GT450W are looks more warm and colourful.
Anyway, you can decide everything from videos.
Please select 1080p from video screen settings.

Thank you for watching.

Few pictures I have made of GT450W installed in my car behind rearview mirror.

Attachments

• GT450W installed in car (1).jpg
    GT450W installed in car (1).jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 54
  • GT450W installed in car (2).jpg
    GT450W installed in car (2).jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 53
  • GT450W installed in car (3).jpg
    GT450W installed in car (3).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 53
  • GT450W installed in car (4).jpg
    GT450W installed in car (4).jpg