Guy on motorcycle does a wheelie

First of all, I couldn't drive where you live. Crazy!

I think the license plate legibility has to do with the color scheme of the plate. In Florida, many of the plates are faded green/white. In the second video I uploaded, one of the guys had a custom plate that was dark blue and white, and its legibility seems to be available from a greater distance.

I appreciate you chiming in. You aren't out of line.

I find that european plates are MUCH easier to read than US plates - they have larger digits, because of the wider plate. even plain black on white plates aren't as easy to read here in texas. when you add art into the background or even just top/bottom of the plate, it gets even more sketchy.

this one is legible, but only barely, because of the "art" in the background of the plate, as well as reflections from my dashboard. florida's plates have artwork directly behind the numbers rather than just top/bottom like this texas plate, which makes it even harder for a camera to read.
vlcsnap-2015-03-20-11h29m20s47.png

Here's another, just after sunset (not completely dark but nearly) - you can read the plain black/white plate in front of me, but not the one to the left due to headlight glare/reflection.
vlcsnap-2015-03-20-11h35m37s97.png

US plates are all 12" wide by 6" tall. Other plates aren't as tall but are much wider, and you don't have state/province info at the top or bottom, so it's all numbers and much easier to read. In fact in the first picture I posted, you can see how Mazda left enough space in the license plate area to accomodate both US and Euro sized plates, but in the second picture, both vehicles in front of me would only accomodate US sized plates (though the pickup on the left might be able to take a euro plate if the trailer wiring to the left of his plate were to be moved somewhere else).

Last edited:
For comparison, this image borrowed off mini0806.com shows that UK plates can be read at a much larger distance:
9098978_orig.jpg

Yeah, the backgrounds of those plates does make it harder to decipher. The other ones do look pretty good though. Which cameras were used for the above images?

Yeah, the backgrounds of those plates does make it harder to decipher. The other ones do look pretty good though. Which cameras were used for the above images?
both of mine were taken with the a118. i cropped the first image because the forum said the file was too large (it was already 1920x1080 but file was >2mb)

I assumed mine was obvious since I got it from mini0806.com, it is from my mini 0806 :)

Here is the original at full resolution:

Frame%202014.11.18%2016-58-21%20%280-13-48.257%29.jpg

UK plates are by far the easiest to read, we have some shockers in Australia, I was behind a car the other day and I couldn't even read the plate by eye, it was red lettering on a black background, common sense has prevailed though as I heard the government has decided to recall some of these combos due to being to hard to read

UK plates are by far the easiest to read, we have some shockers in Australia, I was behind a car the other day and I couldn't even read the plate by eye, it was red lettering on a black background, common sense has prevailed though as I heard the government has decided to recall some of these combos due to being to hard to read
red lettering on black would be fine if you're color blind - it'd be white/gray on black.

texas has had some real crappy combos too - dark to medium blue sky image behind navy blue letters/numbers. if the numbers had been raised/stamped into the plate, it might not be so bad, but they also switched to completely flat, computer-printed plates when they went to that new background, and it was BAD. 10 feet away someone with perfect vision would have a hard time reading the plate on a parked car.

We have others that were worse, purple on black etc, plus we have smaller plates to begin with which is already a challenge

Back