GX1000 Test & Review PP

Panzer Platform

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2024 Minimum Requirements: STARVIS 2 & HDR
I would like to thank FineVu, and the lovely dovely Lexi Kim for sending me the brand new just released FineVu flagship GX1000.
@DashCamMan I would like to request a new “thread section” for the GX1000.

The purpose of this first post is to give a quick first impression of the camera after taking it out of the box, and playing with it on the bench for the first 60 minutes I’ve had the camera. I would like to remind folks I am not a professional dash cam tester / reviewer. I do not have a degree in Engineering, Electronics, or Computer Science. I’m just an average guy who spends too much time in his garage. I only started buying, using, and testing dash cams in 2019. So everything I say should be taken with a grain of salt, and confirmed & verified. Basically, these are just my simple opinions, and we all know what those are worth. lol

I decided to accept the GX1000 for test & review after researching the specifications, and watching Broseph’s review of the GX1000 on the @BlackboxMyCar YouTube Channel. I think the GX1000 is the first “real” direct competitor to the VIOFO A229 Duo. I think the GX1000 would be a a good alternative candidate for someone who wants the 2K/2K front & rear resolution of the A229 Duo, and a sophisticated / advanced parking mode with lots of features, but they don’t want an LCD screen.

I’ve tested a lot of “cheap junk” dash cams over the past 4 years, and the GX1000 is definitely not junk. It feels, and looks like a “Premium Korean Dash Cam” if that makes any sense. My only Korean dash cam experience has been with the GNET G-ON2, and the BlackVue DR900X Plus I recently received.

Before I get too far here’s a few specifications. I’ll update the question marks once I receive confirmation from Lexi.

SPECIFICATIONS;
Country of Origin: South Korea
MSRP: $270 at BBMC; https://www.blackboxmycar.com/products/finevu-gx1000-2k-qhd-dual-channel-dash-cam
Image Sensors: Sony STARVIS IMX335 (F+R)
Processor: Allwinner V536
Resolution: 2K@30fps (2560 x 1440)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (standard widescreen)
Bitrate: 16 Mbps (Front + Rear)
Lens Aperture: F1.8
Lense Adjustment: 85° Front / 75° Rear
FOV: 122° Front / 122° Rear
Video Codec: H.264 (not H.265 HEVC)
Format: AVI
Loop Record: 1 Minute Only
Max SD Card Size: 128GB (32GB included)
Voice Notifications: Yes (many)
Super Capacitor: Yes
Power Cable Connection: 3.5mm Barrel Type (similar to BlackVue but polarity is different)
3-Wire Hardwire Power Cable (parking mode): Included (CLA optional $30)
Rear Camera Cable: 2.5mm (3/32″) headphone jack & plug (provided by Lexi)
Wi-Fi: 2.5GHz (provided by Lexi)
GPS: Yes (internal built-in)
Operating Temperature: -4℉ - 158℉ (-20℃ - 70℃)
Warranty: 3 Years (wow!)
Customer Service Email: support@finedigital.com
FCC ID: ???

The first thing I like about the front camera / main unit is the discrete form factor & footprint. It’s around 4” wide, 2.5” tall, 1” thick. The size & shape remind me of a bridge toll transponder. It only has two buttons, (REC/MIC & Wi-Fi). In my hands it feels light, and airy with good ventilation holes. It looks like it might do well in high heat environments. The rear camera is also very small, (2” long, 1” diameter). I like that it can be removed from the mount.

The included 3-Wire hardwire power cable has a barrel type connector similar to BlackVue. However I checked the polarity of the barrel head contacts, and they are different. So you could use a BlackVue 3-Wire hardwire cable, but you will need to account for that when wiring. The $30 optional CLA power cable can’t be “re-wired” like the hardwire cable, so that means you can not use a BlackVue CLA power cable. In general, I would prefer a simple USB Type-C power connection for maximum flexibility. But I can see the benefits of using a 12 Volt based barrel connector because it means they can display vehicle system voltage on the video footage text overlay, and they can integrate parking mode low voltage shut off into to camera’s firmware / software so there is no need to buy a separate device.
The GX1000 comes with an included FineVu Branded 32GB SD Card. How nice is that to get you started, and you have a “known good card” to perform diagnosis of any malfunctions, and also to use to update the camera’s firmware.

Whenever I get a new dash cam I like to make sure it works with all it’s power connections & accessories, etc. During this playtime I noticed some neat voice notifications I’ve never heard before like;
“Please Check The Rear Camera Connection”
“Please Check The Camera Angle”
I’ll put links to videos demonstrating the voice notifications at the bottom.
-Chuck

Attachments

• SD Card File Directory .png
    SD Card File Directory .png
    123.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Included SD Card .jpg
    Included SD Card .jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Box .jpg
    Box .jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Small Form Factor .jpg
    Small Form Factor .jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Rear Camera & Cable .jpg
    Rear Camera & Cable .jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 8
  • CLA Power Cable 2 .jpg
    CLA Power Cable 2 .jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 8
  • CLA Power Cable 1 .jpg
    CLA Power Cable 1 .jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Finevu was actually pretty big at one time, but then they sort of faded from view.

I like it can do deep sleep as a means to deal with high power, cuz any kind of proof / footage are still way better than no footage at all.

It do look a bit wide though, i would prefer is a camera was thicker instead of wider or taller, CUZ thickness have almost nothing to say where cameras are mounted.

Finevu was actually pretty big at one time, but then they sort of faded from view.
Yo Brian,
Thanks for stopping in.
Since you've been around here so long, do you remember the last popular FineVu dash cam here on the DCT Forum?
-Chuck

sadly no, it have never been a brand i have been able to keep up with.

After my experience with the Lukas LK-7500 i have been a little apprehensive with all the Korean cameras.
As a camera the Lukas worked fine, not like that i was having issues.
But the image sharpening was high, the bitrate fairly low ( 11 for a 1080 p camera ) and also support was hard, felt like Lukas at least dident really care about international users.
Also soon after that i began to get cameras sent from other brands, at first street guardian, so my focus have been on what i actually had in my hand.
And as a guy on a pension i have not felt able to go out and buy cameras on my own to also test, but i diverted my surplus funds then towards other hobbies.

Nice start on your review. I received my two GX1000 dash cameras on Friday. I haven't had a chance to get them out of their boxes just yet with the ongoing battery pack testing and VIOFO A139 Pro review video editing. :)

Last edited:
A yes the barrel cameras,,,,, with the lens in the end.
They soon moved to the side of the barrel.

FineVu CR-300HD

FineVu CR-500HD

A yes the barrel cameras,,,,, with the lens in the end.
Yo Mellow,
Wow, 2012.
Now I know where BBMC got their logo from. lol
-Chuck

Attachments

• BBMC Logo .png
    BBMC Logo .png
    204.4 KB · Views: 6
  • BBMC Logo 2 .png
    BBMC Logo 2 .png
    130.4 KB · Views: 6
Wow, 2012.

I find it interesting that cams like the FineVu were once considered among the best available for video quality yet by today's standards they would be considered wholly inadequate. At the same time, we've seen recent posts from newer DCT members who are relatively new to dash cams complaining that we don't see any improvements to dash cam image quality, that improvements are not being implemented fast enough for them and they want more and more "features". Yet here we are ten years later and you can currently buy something like the 3 year old Viofo A119 V3 on sale for $83.00 that absolutely blows the FineVu CR-500HD out of the water on both image quality and features. The FineVu CR-500HD sold for $300.00. Of course, we now have 4K and Starvis 2, etc.

In this post I would like to discuss the FineVu Wi-Fi iOS APP, (current version 1.1.42) that is required to use the dash cam, change settings, etc. I’ll be using my iPhone SE 2020 (13.5.1). The very first time you open the APP you must authorize FineVu to collect all of your location & privacy data on your phone, even when the APP is closed, and not being used. If you do not grant FineVu permission access to your location, and collect your privacy data you can’t use the APP, meaning you can’t use the dash cam.

I’ve seen this before on a few other dash cam’s I’ve tested, and I consider this intrusive, and an “UNNECESSARY” invasion of privacy to track my location data, and collect my personal data like; First & Last name, email address, phone number, Physical Address (home & mailing address), any other information that can be used to contact you outside the app, Heath & Fitness data, Payment Info Credit Card Number, Bank Account number, Credit info such as credit score, other financial info like salary, income, assets, debts, or any other financial info, sensitive info such as racial or ethnic data, sexual orientation, pregnancy or childbirth information, disability, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, political opinion, genetic information, or biometric data, list of all contacts, emails & text messages, photos & videos, voice & sound recording, game play content, internet browsing history, and a bunch of other stuff. I’m not making this up, these are just a few of the things I saw in the terms & conditions.

Of course there is no such thing as “true privacy” in this digital age, and anything, and anyone can be hacked at any time. But for a dash cam to automatically require my permission to openly collect all my personal information is completely unacceptable. Since I am new to this, I would love to hear thoughts from more experience dash cam users like; @Dashmellow @kamkar @Nigel @rcg530 @Paul Iddon @Vortex Radar @Mtz @DrekiTech

If I had known of this requirement, I would have never accepted the GX1000 for test & review. But since Lexi has been so nice, and accommodating, I’ll continue testing. But I would like to officially request this APP location & privacy permission be removed before any further testing continues.

FineVu GX1000 APP;
FineVu Privacy Data Collection Terms & Conditions; https://www.fine-drive.com/etc/privacy.do
-Chuck

Attachments

• iOS APP Latest Version .png
    iOS APP Latest Version .png
    48.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Privacy Data Collection .png
    Privacy Data Collection .png
    56.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Privacy Location Use At All Times .png
    Privacy Location Use At All Times .png
    53.8 KB · Views: 9
  • App Privacy .png
    App Privacy .png
    39.4 KB · Views: 9
  • GX1000 Current Firmware Version V1.00.000 .png
    GX1000 Current Firmware Version V1.00.000 .png
    94.7 KB · Views: 9
  • The First Screen When You Open The APP .png
    The First Screen When You Open The APP .png
    188.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Second Screen .png
    Second Screen .png
    188.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Third Screen .png
    Third Screen .png
    645.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Fourth Screen .png
    Fourth Screen .png
    180.9 KB · Views: 9
  • APP Version 1.1.42 .png
    APP Version 1.1.42 .png
    116.6 KB · Views: 9
Well if a simple phone app, like say a flashlight app, request access to just about everything in my phone, then i will have to decline

Some years ago the Danish version of PBS called DR did a test, they developed a flashlight app like that that needed access to the users entire phone, so even cameras - microphone ASO, they then promoted that APP in their own APP / site.
And they used that to demonstrate how naive people are they used that access to "spy" on people, and then confront them, saying,,,, do you know what you have given us permission to do when you installed the APP, and of cousre they all said no.
So they whipped out their spying, and people was like OMG.

I am pretty strict with personal information, also why i dont do reviews or put my face on the talking hands videos i do make about cameras i am sent, also i dont think it is necessary to see people to be able to take something good from them.
I know i have shared my ugly face in here, but thats also something else ( to me at least ) VS say youtube where billions of people could potentially see your stuff.

And i do not do this for views on youtube or something like this, i do this to be able to help people make informed decisions regarding dashcams.

i dont do reviews or put my face on the talking hands videos i do make
Right on Brian,
I don’t show my face on my YouTube Channel for several reasons.
But I guess the most important one is, I like to keep the focus on whatever the thing is I’m talking about, (car, product, etc). But now it’s turned into a gag like the TV Show “Home Improvement” where they never show the neighbor’s face over the fence, “Wilson”.

But I wanted to do some experiments with dash cams showing the POV of the passenger compartment. So I wear a fake beard on camera. Lol

Last edited:
such privacy intrusive software polices are a total deal breaker.
I just thought of another thing.
What if the dash cam, and SD Card find its way into the hands of police, law enforcement, court of law, insurance company, etc. and they don't want to insert the SD Card into their computer, and opt to download / view footage with a cell phone?
That might complicate things too.

In this post I would like to discuss the Wi-Fi transfer speed of the GX1000 for downloading video files to a cell phone. I’ll be using my iPhone SE 2020 (13.5.1) for this test.

The GX1000 generated a 231MB file size for a 1 Minute video clip.
It took 1 Minute 22 Seconds to download / transfer that clip to my phone using the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection.

For comparison I performed the same test with my Viofo A229 Duo.
The A229 generated a 226MB file size for a 1 Minute video clip.
It took 21 Seconds to download / transfer that clip to my phone using the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection.

This means the A229’s 5GHz Wi-Fi is approximately 4 times faster at downloading video files. In my personal opinion, I find this unacceptable the GX1000 takes so long to download a 1 Minute video, and that it does not have Dual Band Wi-Fi, (2.4GHz & 5GHz).

Attachments

• 1 Minute File Size 231MB Front Camera .png
    1 Minute File Size 231MB Front Camera .png
    118.7 KB · Views: 2
In this post I would like to discuss the need to download FineVu’s proprietary software in order to view / play video footage from the REAR camera.

When I insert the GX1000’s SD Card in my laptop I can only view / play video footage from the FRONT camera only. Lexi (FineVu) informed me the video footage from BOTH front & rear cameras are stored in the same file. In order to view the REAR camera video footage I must download FineVu’s proprietary software called “FINEVU PC PLAYER”.

I don’t own a Windows PC, or MAC computer. I only have a Google Chromebook. So the only way I can view / play video footage from the REAR camera is on my tiny iPhone screen.

This also means that if video footage is ever needed as evidence by any Police, Law Enforcement Agency, Court of Law, Insurance Company, etc. they will also need to download the FineVu proprietary software to download / view / play video footage from the rear camera. This further complicates the issue of sharing evidence, and chain of custody protocols. In my opinion this is not good.

Attachments

• Can't View Or Play REAR Camera Footage .png
    Can't View Or Play REAR Camera Footage .png
    118.7 KB · Views: 5
  • FineVu Proprietary Software (2) .png
    FineVu Proprietary Software (2) .png
    21.8 KB · Views: 5
  • FineVu Proprietary Software (1) .png
    FineVu Proprietary Software (1) .png
    60.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FineVu PC Player .png
    FineVu PC Player .png
    52.3 KB · Views: 7
I remember Mr.Wilson.
And Tim of course,,,,,,, More power !!!!!!!

It will probably be hard to get Finevu to change anything.

I like it can do deep sleep as a means to deal with high power, cuz any kind of proof / footage are still way better than no footage at all.

It do look a bit wide though, i would prefer is a camera was thicker instead of wider or taller, CUZ thickness have almost nothing to say where cameras are mounted.

-> Aaaaannd we are coming back !

+ Thank you so much for the posts OP! :)!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
rcg530 GX1000 14
Back