Had a nice little disaster in my car this weekend

USDashCamera

Reaction score
Country
United States
So on the 4th of July, our Independence day where we all get drunk, wear american flag clothing, celebrate everything American like diabetes and inferior cars, my made in the USA cooler leaked a LOT of water in my trunk.

I still had my Street Guardian SGZC12RC and a T Power Plus Alpha in my trunk, not contained in anything or on anything. I had been searching the last week for some sort of "box" or tray to place them into to keep them protected from the elements since sometimes wet stuff gets tossed in my trunk (like fishing waders).

Well anyways, had 10lbs of ice in a foam cooler that I just bought that day, and later that day I noticed it had leaked almost all of the water and my trunk was full of water.

Hoping once they dry out they will work ok. But on this fabulous day, I am starting a new VLOG series on my channel:

As long as you didn't set off a mortar tube fireworks like the other guy, you will be fine.

Generally, unless electronics are powered up when immersed they can withstand clean water if you let them dry out thoroughly before powering them up again. Water from puddles, lakes, streams, bathtubs, and oceans is always suspect because of mineral content, oils, soaps, and salt. Electret mics like dashcams use often die in water and speaker cones may distort after drying. As crazy as it sounds, the response to dirty water electronics immersion is a clean water rinse. When you think it's dry enough wait at least 24 hours more. Dirty water unrinsed may work initially then die later; you'll notice a lot of that from the 'bag of rice' folks. Rice will speed drying but it won't clean anything! I don't know how a CMOS reacts to water; you're on your own there. Many Hams have saved their hand-held radios from a dunking using these techniques if they got the battery out fast enough- luckily I haven't needed to try it myself yet.

One easy 'waterproofing' solution is plastic containers like "tupperware"; just notch the edges under the lid for wires to pass through then caulk everything shut after you snap the lid on. Screwing the container down also locates the equipment inside so it stays put. Be certain the sealed box won't create overheating problems with what you're putting in there. If you need something stronger look into gasketed outdoor electrical boxes- the plastic ones are easier to work with than the metal ones.

Hope you fare well with this!
Phil

Generally, unless electronics are powered up when immersed they can withstand clean water if you let them dry out thoroughly before powering them up again. Water from puddles, lakes, streams, bathtubs, and oceans is always suspect because of mineral content, oils, soaps, and salt. Electret mics like dashcams use often die in water and speaker cones may distort after drying. As crazy as it sounds, the response to dirty water electronics immersion is a clean water rinse. When you think it's dry enough wait at least 24 hours more. Dirty water unrinsed may work initially then die later; you'll notice a lot of that from the 'bag of rice' folks. Rice will speed drying but it won't clean anything! I don't know how a CMOS reacts to water; you're on your own there. Many Hams have saved their hand-held radios from a dunking using these techniques if they got the battery out fast enough- luckily I haven't needed to try it myself yet.

One easy 'waterproofing' solution is plastic containers like "tupperware"; just notch the edges under the lid for wires to pass through then caulk everything shut after you snap the lid on. Screwing the container down also locates the equipment inside so it stays put. Be certain the sealed box won't create overheating problems with what you're putting in there. If you need something stronger look into gasketed outdoor electrical boxes- the plastic ones are easier to work with than the metal ones.

Hope you fare well with this!
Phil
They are both dead for good.

also i do not want any really crappy looking installs, so tupper ware is not exactly something I would be interested in haha. i was going to mount a small tray to the roof of my trunk I just never got around to it the last month.

Back