Hands on SJCam SJ5000 Plus - Ambarella A7LS75 1080P 60FPS WiFi Sport Action Camera

I noticed that no one has added a movie recorded on a motorcycle, so I will add mine. The microphone is set to 100%, which causes interference, with the default settings of 80% or less is ok. The quality of the movie I think is good, even when driving hard to read car plates.

I noticed that no one has added a movie recorded on a motorcycle, so I will add mine. The microphone is set to 100%, which causes interference, with the default settings of 80% or less is ok. The quality of the movie I think is good, even when driving hard to read car plates.
Here is mine using the 720p @120fps. The focus range is kinda soft (our maybe set to short).
And for anyone interested to see how 'bad' the 480p @240fps on the SJ5000+ is, here is the video.
As for 1080p @60fps, this is the result. (But I didn't edit or slowmo anything)

Here is mine using the 720p @120fps. The focus range is kinda soft (our maybe set to short).
And for anyone interested to see how 'bad' the 480p @240fps on the SJ5000+ is, here is the video.
As for 1080p @60fps, this is the result. (But I didn't edit or slowmo anything)

Your video is consistent with what other users have experienced:
- 1080p is sharp.
- 720p is soft and blurry
- 480p is just plain atrocious and unusable

Your video is consistent with what other users have experienced:
- 1080p is sharp.
- 720p is soft and blurry
- 480p is just plain atrocious and unusable
For the 1080p @30fps, I think the SJ4000 is still sharper though.

For the 1080p @30fps, I think the SJ4000 is still sharper though.

Interesting observation, thanks.
Must say I don't really like the strong blue colour in the video of a SJ4000/M10, but then SJ5000+ has the opposite of strong yellow colour. SJ5000 (non plus version) has the most natural looking colour.

Interesting observation, thanks.
Must say I don't really like the strong blue colour in the video of a SJ4000/M10, but then SJ5000+ has the opposite of strong yellow colour. SJ5000 (non plus version) has the most natural looking colour.
Set the white balance to Tungsten to fix the color on the SJ4000

Set the white balance to Tungsten to fix the color on the SJ4000
Hmm that's different to what Techmoan has discovered in his review. He says changing the white balance to Cloudy gives him better colour during daytime outdoor, but then at night the scene will turn all very yellowish so he suggests to then change it back to Auto.

Not really something I could live with if I had to remember to manually change settings depending on time of day

Not really something I could live with if I had to remember to manually change settings depending on time of day

I agree. However if people are using these cams as they are mainly intended for which is action cam instead of car dash cam, then they can afford to manually change the settings. As car dash cam I will be too lazy to change it twice a day everyday.

as an action cam I don't see it as a bad thing as such, a car cam needs to be setup to work over the widest set of circumstances without changing anything, as much as we like that can never be perfect but we need to try and find the best overall balance, for an action camera though they are predominantly used in short bursts in specific environments where you might want to optimise the settings to suit, with any of the action cameras I see the dashcam functionality as a bonus and can be a bit more forgiving with the auto settings as it's not really what they're about

I recently purchased the SJ5000+ to use as a dash cam however after recording for about 30 minutes continously (1080p 30fps - 32gb SDHC) the camera would automatically stop recording. Does any know how I can get the camera to continously record until the memory card is full? I understand that the memory card format of FAT32 only allows for 5gb max file size but the camera should still record continuously even if it creates a new file right? Otherwise how can this be used as a dash cam if every 30 minutes you have to press record.

The settings that I have on is:
Loop: No
Car DVR: Yes

First test video stopped recording 2.79GB and the second stopped at 3.67

Last edited:
Set 'Loop' to Yes.

Thank you for that information. I am currently testing it and so far 5minutes and counting...Is there a guide to what each of the settings are for? Also by setting Loop to Yes, will this record over the earliest video files once the memory card is full or will it just stop recording? Sorry for all these questions but I'm just really excited to use this on a road trip with the family. We're heading to the Keys in Florida and as the driver I can't really look out the side windows to take in the scenery therefore I purchased this. If the Loop setting overwrites the older files then that would be a problem also.

I suggest you watch this video, which may help familiarise you with the camera features...

A 32GB card will record around 4 hours of video clips in loop recording mode, depending on chosen quality level, before the oldest clips start to get overwritten.

If you're not using the camera to capture accidents, then you may prefer to use the time-lapse setting ... skip to 26mins 10secs in the video.

I assume you've already watched the video by @Mtz in post #1 above.

Last edited:
I suggest you watch this video, which may help familiarise you with the camera features...

A 32GB card will record around 4 hours of video clips in loop recording mode, depending on chosen quality level, before the oldest clips start to get overwritten.

If you're not using the camera to capture accidents, then you may prefer to use the time-lapse setting ... skip to 26mins 10secs in the video.

I assume you've already watched the video by @Mtz in post #1 above.
Thank you for this video. Yes I did watch the video review in post #1. So it looks like my only two options are what you stated which is to record the video with loop and just remember to stop recording before camera starts overwriting oldest clip. Or to use time-lapse. I test both options and decide accordingly.

On a separate note, I saw on some other forum that others had success formatting their 64gb SDXC from exFAT to FAT32. Has anyone tried using the PNY Turbo Performance 64gb SDXC?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00N2ROG9O
I'm using the 32gb version but wouldnt mind the 64gb version so I don't have to worry about old clips getting overwritten.

We do not ship some countries due to unstable post service,wish you can understand;
And yes,Australia is within our shipping list!

Regards,
Vicky

Oh i got it, the answer to my question is on the video review.. SJ5000 wifi is novatek, while the SJ5000+ is ambarella.

TB2YKBIbVXXXXXCXpXXXXXXXXXX_%21%21404409158.jpg

Yes,you are right,SJ5000 Is Novatek Chipest VS SJ5000+ Ambarella Chipest,and we made a quick review on similars items in my Ebay listing,just for you reference!

Back