Hardwiring a SG9665GC Help!

In what sense? The extra fuse?

I was thinking purely from a financial standpoint, $6 is less than $35 or whatever the kit is. It also preserves the original charger, in case I want to sell or move it to another vehicle in the future. Then again, maybe I could just cut off the plug in part of the original - if the transformer is entirely in the box in the middle.

I didnt order it yet, but probably will. My iottie cell phone holder has wireless charging built in, and these two items are fighting for the same power port on the front dash. One of them can be hidden below the dash, with the purchase of this device.

Many/most battery discharge prevention devices already have their output as a lighter socket so you're not doing anything different from them except removing the discharge prevention part.

Is sure is a nice 3d rendering of the part though. :D

Yea I am just aiming to plug in it to a switched circuit, to free up the port for my cell phone charger, without spending a lot. The fuse is an extra bonus and I would have no need for a device to tell me when my car battery is 90% drained. (It wouldnt matter much anyways, if the car cant start) It's a 2 minute self install for $6, not bad :) I'll order a couple today. I plan to put a camera in my other vehicle as well.

The devices don't just tell you if the battery is low, they actually cut power to the camera once the battery drops below a level that you set in advance so that you WILL be able to start your car. I have one in my wife's car to run her blacksys cf100 in parking mode so that it doesn't drain the tiny 12v battery on her hybrid Highlander.

Dont need to buy anything. Do like this:
and use spare fuse 10A will be enough.

This video is a textbook example of how NOT to work with wire. Note the broken conductor strands; improperly twisted conductors (they should exhibit the natural lay of the wire, not wound up as shown; improper connection technique (twisted around a terminal, --not terminated with the proper hardware; use of electrical tape (heat shrink doesn't get gummy and fall off over time.) The list goes on and on. I'll use this to show my students when I teach my next soldering and connector class.

This would pass for a field repair. At night. In the rain. Nothing more. Reliability of any product or repair is always a primary consideration. If this were birth control, would you use it?

CC

Last edited:
This video is a textbook example of how NOT to work with wire. Note the broken conductor strands; improperly twisted conductors (they should exhibit the natural lay of the wire, not wound up as shown; improper connection technique (twisted around a terminal, --not terminated with the proper hardware; use of electrical tape (heat shrink doesn't get gummy and fall off over time.) The list goes on and on. I'll use this to show my students when I teach my next soldering and connector class.

This would pass for a field repair. At night. In the rain. Nothing more. Reliability of any product or repair is always a primary consideration. If this were birth control, would you use it?

CC
You are right. If this is birth control and i have pay for it, i wont buy it.
It's a simple solution with 0$ cost and a very little time to do. In my country: Vietnam, alot of ppl do this include workers at car repair shop. Car can run in years with this. Problem or not, i am not sure, but workers keep doing that way. :D
you can choice do it, or buy fuse box add on around 10$ do it properly.
Thank you for your comment. :)

Dont need to buy anything. Do like this:
and use spare fuse 10A will be enough.
what the hell is that? is that some kids attempt at hard wire, someone with next to no knowledge of wiring?

just as bad as ive seen in parts of china as well. they must not have to have licenses over there for electrical work.

It'll be more networking than electrical... but still. Imagine Telstra trying fix a problem in that mess.

You are right. If this is birth control and i have pay for it, i wont buy it.
It's a simple solution with 0$ cost and a very little time to do. In my country: Vietnam, alot of ppl do this include workers at car repair shop. Car can run in years with this. Problem or not, i am not sure, but workers keep doing that way. :D
you can choice do it, or buy fuse box add on around 10$ do it properly.
Thank you for your comment. :)

I think you missed the important point regarding quality and reliability. Making a simple wiring connection is inexpensive and doesn't take much longer than what you demonstrated.

Where you're from it appears making something work is the priority. I can understand that. But making something work, is not the same as making it work reliably, using proper wiring techniques. You can do it right, or you can do it over, but in the end, it must be done right, because it always costs more in time and materials to perform re-work. This mindset applies equally to dashcams as it does to automobile repair. Would you want to fly on an aircraft that was wired this way just because it was cheap and expedient?

Japanese quality was a complete joke in the 60's. They instituted widespread quality practices in their manufacturing sector and the results speak for themselves.

The Chinese don't innovate, they imitate. Western manufacturing technologies have transformed their economy. Western QA practices are a requirement for their products to be successfully marketed overseas. Soon their heavy investment in Western-trained engineers will come to fruition and I have little doubt they will invent products that rival anything the West does.

German products are synonymous with quality and craftsmanship. German engineers and craftsman strive for perfection in all they do. Its a deliberate example matter of personal pride, not just a slogan with them. Their products often cost more, but if they last longer, I've actually saved money.

The Germans don't own quality workmanship practices. They have engrained it into their culture.

Our dashcams are only as strong as their weakest link. Your (well-intentioned) efforts to demonstrate a poorly-built power supply connection makes all the other workmanship built into it irrelevant.

Two things make this dashcam stand out from its competitors: Its built-in capability and exceptionally high quality of personalized service from the vendor that exceeds the built-in reliability of the product. If a problem is reported, it is quickly addressed and feedback is put online. Quality matters. It separates the good from the best, whether its related to the functionality of a product or level of professional service.

If you can afford to purchase a dashcam, why not wire it properly by terminating the wires inside the housing using solder? A cheap soldering iron costs a lot less than a dashcam. You can learn the basics of soldering online. Obviously, you have internet access.

Using the often-cited, poor excuse of, "this is how we do things here" doesn't support your effort of showcasing inferior workmanship online as a viable repair. It isn't. This looks like something I would have done as a child, just to get it to work.

Why perpetuate mediocrity? Instead of following the crowd, why not lead?

Last edited:
i guess that's where DIY'ers learn all their wiring skills from, the tradesman that put up those street wires.

i just moved into a brand new construction house, just outside Houston, Texas, USA. When going around and punching down my ethernet jacks (i had them string the cat6 cable in the walls during construction but that's it) i found where they tied together all the phone lines. they were simply stripped back and twisted together, then stuffed into the wall behind a blank plate. no tape, no glue, no insulation at all. good thing i hadn't planned on having a land line phone! i cut off that crap and just left the INSULATED wires (cat5, not just simple 4-conductor POTS lines) hanging. no idea what it looks like on the actual phone jacks but i don't care either since i won't be using them. and since there were only 2 of them tied together behind the blank plate where i found them, i'm guessing the rest are done in serial instead of trunk/branch. hope the rest of the house is built better than what those guys did. and it makes me glad i decided to punch down my own ethernet jacks - god knows how many crossed pairs they would have gotten even with the color codes printed directly on the jacks!

I've built before and some builders are real sloppy tradespeople, anything that isn't seen behind finished surfaces is often pretty poor

I've built before and some builders are real sloppy tradespeople, anything that isn't seen behind finished surfaces is often pretty poor
You should have seen some of the warped studs we made them replace. They would have left them, and we'd have had some nasty bowed walls, including the wall for the back door, which was so bad that the door didn't come close to touching the weatherstrip - you could fit your fingers in the gap.

Back