hardwiring help

chalo_209

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried to hardwire my dash cam. I bought a add a circuit and got the original cable that came with it the one you conect to the cigarette lighter and cut it and it had 2 wires a red and black. I connected the red to the add a circuit and the black to bolt but the camera won't turn on. I then took the add a circuit off and tried connecting it directly to the battery (red positive black negative) and still nothing. But If I connect the camera to the wall outlet with a usb cord provided it turns on. What am I doing wrong?

there's a 5V converter in the plug, if you've cut that off (sounds like what you're saying) then you'd be feeding 12v into the camera, good way to kill the camera

please clarify if that's not what you've done though

That's exactly what I've done. So there's no way to make it work since I've already cut it? The camera still works but when I try doing it like I have it won't. There's anything I could get like autozone or somewhere to make it work?

That's exactly what I've done. So there's no way to make it work since I've already cut it? The camera still works but when I try doing it like I have it won't. There's anything I could get like autozone or somewhere to make it work?

join the plug back up and see if the camera still works, putting 12v to a 5v input doesn't do them any favours, if you're lucky and it still works just buy yourself a female lighter socket from autozone and wire that to your add a circuit then plug the included adapter into that

^^^ What jokiin said.
Also, if you're confident enough doing this, and since you've already cut the wire from it, you can remove the converter from your lighter plug and solder it in - you'll end up with a custom wiring loom :cool: All you need is some heat-shrink tubing and some tessa tape. Don't forget the fuse.

^^^ What jokiin said.
Also, if you're confident enough doing this, and since you've already cut the wire from it, you can remove the converter from your lighter plug and solder it in - you'll end up with a custom wiring loom :cool: All you need is some heat-shrink tubing and some tessa tape. Don't forget the fuse.
Nice :)

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - I've just installed a mini 0803, powered via the included cigarette lighter plug. Alas, I need that option for my iPhone/gps. What I want is to cut off the lighter plug and replace that with an USB plug. Question: will that work? And, hmm, which cable strand (I guess there will be 2) goes where on the USB plug.... or does it matter? TX.

But doesn't usb put out ~5V ? I have an USB converter plugged into the car's lighter socket that has 2 USB outputs. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

But doesn't usb put out ~5V ? I have an USB converter plugged into the car's lighter socket that has 2 USB outputs. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

you can use a USB power supply as long as the output is sufficient

I'm in a somewhat similar situation - I've just installed a mini 0803, powered via the included cigarette lighter plug. Alas, I need that option for my iPhone/gps. What I want is to cut off the lighter plug and replace that with an USB plug. Question: will that work? And, hmm, which cable strand (I guess there will be 2) goes where on the USB plug.... or does it matter? TX.
Your best solution would be to add a lighter plug.. there are several types.. to provide 2 or 3 individual plugs. Then you can use your existing male lighters as is. It is a messy solution though but cutting off and eliminating the male lighter plug may remove some included electronics that lower the voltage to what the dash cam is designed for.

Evidently the mini 0803, uses 5volts as a power supply. The reduction from 12v to 5v is done inside the male lighter plug that came with the unit. If you remove the plug you loose the electronics that lower the voltage. If.. you can go all USB that might be one solution, if the USB outlet provides enough amperage to run the camera.

Last edited:
and rather than cutting your existing power cord, just get a regular USB cable that's long enough. monoprice has good deals on cables and chargers - they sell some high power USB lighter adapters. get one at least 2.1 amps if you intend to charge your phone AND run a dashcam from it. the dashcam generally needs about 1A by itself.

Thanks everybody for chiming in !

Your best solution would be to add a lighter plug.. there are several types.. to provide 2 or 3 individual plugs. Then you can use your existing male lighters as is. It is a messy solution though but cutting off and eliminating the male lighter plug may remove some included electronics that lower the voltage to what the dash cam is designed for.

It doesn't have to be messy, with a little imagination and some patience, you can add a switched, multi-port cigarette lighter adapter just about anywhere, even under the seat. I have 5 devices plugged into mine which is attached to the ashtray/cupholder, and believe me, it is very convenient. Here's a pic.
L0000011.MOV_snapshot_01.41_[2015.08.24_16.28.53].jpg

what's with the piece of felt hanging over the left center vent and part of the radio? and i see you use your radio about as much as i do, since it's covered with gadgets... ;)

what's with the piece of felt hanging over the left center vent and part of the radio? and i see you use your radio about as much as i do, since it's covered with gadgets... ;)

I never use the radio, don't even listen to it at home. The black felt is a pop on sleeve that I made to cover the GPS unit when it's not in use, theft deterrent.

Back