Hardwiring to permanent 12V - camera never starts recording

m1kegibson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just completed installing a 522GW (with rear window camera) and using a Nextbase hardware kit in my LR Discovery 4.

I connected the hardwire kit to a permanent 12V point in the passenger footwell and enabled Parking Mode.

When I take the car out, the dashcam NEVER starts recording. I presumed that the G Sensor or GPS would automatically trigger the commencement of recording when pulling away - it doesn't. I have tried setting G Sensor sensitivity to High/Low and nothing makes a difference. The Disco is a fairly smooth ride but not so smooth that I can believe the G Sensor does not detect motion!

On a 45 minute round trip, there was not a minute of recordings. If I tap the camera it does trigger a protected recording which suggests the G sensor is working.

Does anyone have a clue what is happening here? I have switched to an ignition switched source for the time being and that works fine. My previous 512GW never had such an issue.

UPDATE: I disconnected power and performed a reset on dashcam and left without power for an hour. Reconnected permanent supply and it immediately started recording. I left it alone again for an hour; after 5 mins it stopped recording and went to sleep - this is consistent with advertised behaviour when Parking mode is on. On returning to car dashcam was still "asleep". Started car and pulled away and it fired into life and started recording and behaving as expected. I will now keep an eye on it ans see whether it is working. For the minute I'll put down as a "glitch".

Hi thanks for the update so did you keep parking mode on or did you find turning that off made it work correctly.

I think for the cost of this camera it's absolute crap, I'm tempted to replace the whole thing front and back camera because when I needed footage on all situations the key footage was missing, on Friday I had an idiot came flying up behind me at over 100mph on dual carriageway flashing his lights for me to get out the way he went to around an inch from my bumper then swerved around me undertook. I then followed him he was consistently going over 100 down the carriageway jnyil motorway and then cut up 3 separate cars inches away from crash. I went to get footage and I had a 3 minute video of me on driveway before even driving off and then totally missed around 40 minute drive on major bad potholled roads and bad section of m25/m23!!! It then recorded another 3 minute video when I was sat outside my boys nursery before driving off again ahhhhh I could scream.

Last time was a major road rage incident where the attacker rammed my car three time with his vehicle and yep you guessed it no recording.

Jeez. You seem to have some bad luck with idiots on the road. I have left parking mode on as I understand, from the manual, that it’s recommended to do so if on a permanent 12v connection. The manual is very confusing as it explains how parking mode works when on permanent 12v and on switched 12v but elsewhere recommends not using it if on switched 12v. I suspect I am going to be constantly watching the dashcam to see if it’s recording correctly and hope I don’t have an accident as a consequence. One should be able to simply rely on these things to do their job and have your back in the event of an incident; should not be something you constantly have to check to see if it’s working.

Hello,

I'd recommend checking that the SD card you are using is a compatible Nextbase SD card and has been formatted. I'd also recommend checking that your 522GW is on firmware version R23.7.
For a permanently live fuse we do recommend using Parking Mode to ensure the battery drainage is minimal.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Back