Have I killed my second 0806?

RichardX

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC
I bought an 0806 from an e-Bay seller a couple of months ago. It came with a hard wire kit that I had installed by my regular service place. It worked for a couple of hours, then it stopped working and nothing I did could get it going again.

I bought this one from GearBest. I un-boxed it and read the instructions. I inserted the micro SD card that I had formatted and used on the first 0806. I wanted to change a couple of the default settings, so I switched it on. The tone sounded and the start screen showed. I pressed the up button and the settings screen showed. It powered itself off. So I turned it on again. This time I noticed a little, red warning message "Low Battery". OK.

So I took it to the car, put it into the mount and turned the ignition on. The blue and red LEDs lit up, but nothing else. Dead screen. I drove around for a while to see if anything changed. Nothing did. I turned the engine off and the red LED stayed on. I held down the on-off button for 20 seconds. The red LED turned off at around 15 seconds. I tried connecting it to my PC using the supplied USB cable. The blue LED comes on when I plug in, but it doesn't give the "connected" beep. The red LED comes on when I click the on-off button. It doesn't go off if I click the on-off button again. The screen is totally dead and none of the buttons do anything apart from holding the on-off button down for 15 to 20 seconds. If I pull out the cable, the blue LED goes out, but the red one stays on.

I'm sorry this has been such a long post, but I've tried a lot of things and read a lot of stuff.

Is the 0806 allergic to me or have I done something dumb? Any suggestions about what to do next?

Last edited:
My second 806 worked fine for a while then died completely (no LED's) then came back to life after a couple of days. I t has since died again but failed to re-power. I have since returned the Camera to my supplier. I think there must be some battery issues & possibly some outstanding firmware issues also. I know how you feel. You start to think 'Is it something I did' but more than likely not. Speak with you supplier about returning it if nothing improves.

I had two that did exactly the same, I wonder if it is something to do with the battery going so flat the it will not work any more? Mine went back and am now just waiting to see if I go for one of the newer V3 ones or even V4 when they start I think this is a great camera but still has some issues that need sorting.

John

Well, I did just sign up to these forums to start a new post about my experience with 2 seperate 0806's, however what's the first thread that I see in the 0806 forum??

I have purchased 2 off of Amazon, and both have failed. One unit would lock up and not function, other than the lights staying on. The only way to fix this was to disconnect from power and let the battery drain out. I would reapply power and all would be well, until it happened all over again. The other unit just stopped working all together. When it functions, it works great. But the defective units are really starting to become annoying.

I'm wondering if I should go for a third unit, or just switch to a different brand/model all together. The defective units aren't costing me anything, but it gets tiring knowing that I don't have it!

I'm on my 4th camera. You guys are way behind me. All I can say is good luck. 5 months and I still don't have one that works.

I think maybe 0805 is the way to go until 0806 is sorted further. I just saw the same debate in a Reddit post comments recently.

I saw that same debate on reddit! I was really hoping that the 0806 would be an ideal rear view camera but after reading all its mishaps not anymore.

I had about 4 months of hell in 2013 with my Mini 0801, went through 4 of them. They have to get it right one of these days, a nice form factor.

Understand you all.
But please check the TF car used. Sandisk or Sumsung TF card not recommended. Bad compatibility to Mini 0806; Original factory tested mini 0806 with Kingmax brand always, better!

Latest version 2015.5.12 firmware, please try to update it via www.mini0806.com

But please check the TF car used. Sandisk or Sumsung TF card not recommended. Bad compatibility to Mini 0806; Original factory tested mini 0806 with Kingmax brand always, better!
Don't you think it is, to put it mildly, strange, that we have to search for some specific SD card manufacturer to be sure our equipment will work??? At my country there are no store where such KINGMAX could be bought (at least of 64GB). Even more expensive way - amazon.de or amazon.co.uk does not not offer such super brand SD memory on every corner. If there are some they cost twice than, for example, same Samsung original EVO at local store with warranty.
I would understand you, if you would aiming only to China market ..... or,perhaps, you do?????

That's I was talking about - is Mini aimed only for China market?

yah, it will be increasingly popular in foreign markets. You will find many sellers from E-Shop they sell the items with the Kingmax card for optional.
Or when you buy from the E-shop, you can require the item with TF cards.

I'm willing to try a few things before I send it back, so I'll try a Kingmax card and see if that makes a difference.

I purchased 3 dashcams mini 0806. Two from Diggcams.com (shipped from Singapore) and one from Amazon.com (shipped from United States). All 3 cameras freeze and do not respond. I can turn them off only by pressing power button for 20 seconds. I tried firmware from March 15 and May 12. Updated firmware didn't help. Cards are Samsung EVO 64GB.

:D Seems Magic or tragic words for 0806 = Samsung EVO 64Gb. You can reed my story about this, in spite, there are some users who use Samsung memory without problems.
As some of "manufacturer" here said - you SHOULD use KINGMAX to avoid problems ...

Last edited by a moderator:
:D Seems Magic or tragic words for 0806 = Samsung EVO 64Gb. You can reed my story about this, in spite, there are some users who use Samsung memory without problems.
As some of "manufacturer" here said - you SHOULD use KINGMAX to avoid problems ...

Thank you for suggestion. If non-KINGSMAX cards are causing problems, why dashcam doesn't work when card is not inserted? It least it should be able to turn ON and OFF. Even without card it cannot be turned OFF, the screen is black, buttons do not work, all indicator lights are ON, I can turn camera OFF only after pressing power button for 20 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back