Hello from New York

Which dual camera setup to choose (price is no issue)?

• Panarama X2

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Vico Marcus 5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FineVu CR-2000G

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 separate cameras

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

timbilt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello guys,

I've recently decided to purchase a new dash cam and have been doing my research. Things that interest me are:

1. Front and Rear camera - I don't know if there is an awesome 2 cam setup or if it's better to just get a dual channel cam.
2. Parking mode.
3. Video Quality.
4. High memory capacity to support recording the driving of a long road trip.

I've been looking at the Panarama X2. I also thought of using two Mini 0805 or two Mini 0806 devices. One problem is that you probably want to hard wire for Parking Mode; and the small form factor cameras like the Mini 0805 usually are battery powered and come with a wire for the cigarette lighter power outlet, whereas the dual channel cameras that support Parking Mode usually come with a capacitor and hard wired kit.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Tim

Welcome timbilt.

Hands down i would go for the X2, Based on the footage it is not outright in a leauge of its own.
But the very good footage and the ongoing support and the ppl who back it in the US and EU is enuff for me to recommend that brand/model.

Personally i am holding out for, mony to use on dashcams, and models with 2 remote cameras and a hidden main unit.
Untill then my Lukas got my front and the mobius got my back.

Great response! I also thought of holding out for a dual channel unit with 2 small cameras and a larger central control unit with the screen. But I really wanna get a dash cam soon and I don't see any units like that coming soon. I would hate to spend $400 on a dash cam and then see one like those in like 2 or 3 months from now. But I know that this has been a common request and if the manufacturers are listening, we should see something like this by mid year.

Welcome to the forum.
Panorama G (with internal GPS) or Panorama S then. Mine G work perfectly in driving / parking in NY winter conditions.

Great response! I also thought of holding out for a dual channel unit with 2 small cameras and a larger central control unit with the screen. But I really wanna get a dash cam soon and I don't see any units like that coming soon. I would hate to spend $400 on a dash cam and then see one like those in like 2 or 3 months from now. But I know that this has been a common request and if the manufacturers are listening, we should see something like this by mid year.
If your near Manhattan you could stop in to @spytec on 38th and pick up a great, basic cam like the Mobius, which ticks off your boxes. Run it for a while until you know what you like and don't like and when it comes time to upgrade, use it as your rear view camera. I'm not a big fan of dual channels cams, I prefer not to put all my eggs in the same basket. I prefer to have two seperate cams with specs I choose not what's included, also in case one breaks and to have more solutions to upgrade one if need be.

If two channels are your preference, then the X2 is the best at the moment. They have some firmware bugs to work out yet it's a great camera.

X2 meets all 4 of your requests and then some. Mini isn't good for parking mode. (Pano pre-buffers seconds before the motion/g-sensor event too)

I've been edging on getting the X2, but there's a voice in my head telling me that I'm a bad little spendthrift. Pier28, do you know if any dual cameras coming out soon? I'd be devastated to find out that something better comes along right after I spend $400+ dollars. I've just recently started my review, how often do these things come out?

These are further questions/concerns:
1. How do I get data off the camera? Do I detach the camera and bring it inside the home, connect it to my PC, etc. Or do I remove the micro SD cards and connect those to my PC?
2. Considering I set the camera to run as long as possible (ie. cut off at the lowest permissible battery voltage), how long can I expect the camera to run when the car is left parked?
3. How reliable is the adhesive? Do you get extra adhesive?
4. How easy is it to attach and reattach the camera (if I should bring it inside to update firmware, etc).
5. Is the polarize filter worth getting?
6. Does the GPS logger do anything except add information to the video about where you are? (ie. does it have anything to do with G-sensor or motion detection or speed detection?)
7. How much HD video would I be able to store with 32gb/64gb micro SD cards?
8. How often do these cameras get released?

Thanks

I've been edging on getting the X2, but there's a voice in my head telling me that I'm a bad little spendthrift. Pier28, do you know if any dual cameras coming out soon? I'd be devastated to find out that something better comes along right after I spend $400+ dollars. I've just recently started my review, how often do these things come out?

These are further questions/concerns:
1. How do I get data off the camera? Do I detach the camera and bring it inside the home, connect it to my PC, etc. Or do I remove the micro SD cards and connect those to my PC?
2. Considering I set the camera to run as long as possible (ie. cut off at the lowest permissible battery voltage), how long can I expect the camera to run when the car is left parked?
3. How reliable is the adhesive? Do you get extra adhesive?
4. How easy is it to attach and reattach the camera (if I should bring it inside to update firmware, etc).
5. Is the polarize filter worth getting?
6. Does the GPS logger do anything except add information to the video about where you are? (ie. does it have anything to do with G-sensor or motion detection or speed detection?)
7. How much HD video would I be able to store with 32gb/64gb micro SD cards?
8. How often do these cameras get released?

Thanks

Street Guardian Dual Channel products are a ways out, still in very early design stages. (so nothing right around the corner)

1. You pop out the microSD cards from the side. You'll want to carry two microSD card reader keychains. We have a bunch in stock, could possibly toss in a few. :)

2. It depends how big the battery in your car is. Do you have a Prius or a Smart Car for example? The Zoran CPU inside the Panorama series has the lowest power draw out there. The built in Low Voltage Battery Discharge Prevention works, recommended setting is to use 12.4 as the cut-off which will cut at 12.1 after the cable loss etc. I have customers that leave it record for days and days no problem.

3. I haven't had one customer complain that it fell off yet. I have plenty of extra pads.

About the 3M adhesive sticky mount:
A) Be sure you clean the window first.
B) When you apply the stick base to the window, hold the bracket firmly against the glass for around 2 minutes, then wait 20 minutes before you attach the camera. The tape has a 50% bond after 20 minutes, 100% bond takes 72 hours, if you put the camera on earlier than 20 minutes there's an increased chance it will fall off after a while.

4. The X2 uses the U-Bracket with a Bolt/Nut so it's not really meant to be taken up/down very easy. If you want to buy the optional U-Bracket to T-Bracket adapter or the U-Bracket suction cup mount option that could get the job done as well. (uses the same mount as the Panorama S)

6. It's for logging purposes only, plaback via http://registratorviewer.com or http://dashcamviewer.com (new PiP option in the works)

7. you can choose between 12Mbs (low) and 15Mbs (high) and it takes up to 128GB microSD cards (two of them) Use the following calculator.
https://dashcamtalk.com/recording-time-calculator/

8. There is no regular schedule. The Panorama S and G just had a minor update for example. The Sonly IMX122 CMOS Sensor was replaced with the new IMX322 found in the X2

Thank you so much -- very helpful. Can you please propose a package that takes care of all my needs? I didn't notice any bundle on the Pier28 site that includes the filter. Which mount do you recommend? Did you say/mean that you can provide me extra adhesive just in case?

How long would it take to get to New York?
Should the polarizing filter be removed at night?

Last edited:
Happy to help

We only have a bundle package for the memory cards + GPS at this time.
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/dashcams.html

We just lowered the X2 price from 329.95 to $299.95 so you're already getting quite the deal on a dual channel Panorama with built in BDP.

I'm happy to give you free shipping if you order the CPL & or Mount(s).

I'll toss in some microSD keychain card readers and adhesive pads as a free bonus yes. (since I have excess at the moment)

Option 1)
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/accessories/pano360-panorama-3m-suction-combo-mount.html
(be aware the X2 is a bit heavy for suction, but it seems to work ok for some)

Option 2, DIY project)
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/u-bracket-to-t-bracket-adapter-panorama-2-s-x2.html (see notes)
+
https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/panog3m2-short-swivel-3m-adhesive-mount-for-panorama-g.html

I've only had 2 customers go with Option 2 so far, didn't hear anything back as far as how it went.

Most people install it and leave it up 24/7 because of parking mode. It depends what kind of area you'll be parking in I guess. I've yet to hear of any smash and grab stories on DashCam talk actually. (for any product)

Alright then. I am about to buy the X2 for 299.95, the GPS logger, and the CPL filter. How do I get free shipping and all these goodies you speak of? lol

Alright then. I am about to buy the X2 for 299.95, the GPS logger, and the CPL filter. How do I get free shipping and all these goodies you speak of? lol

My coupon system isn't behaving. (updating systems) I'll manually refund the shipping cost as soon as I see the order come through no problem.

I just ordered! I'm so glad that I put in all this time to research. Pier28, you've been way more than helpful!

Thanks to everyone else who's helped answer my questions. This site is awesome! And if you can't tell, I'm very happy!

Cheers!
Tim

Welcome to the Club! Everything is boxed, ready to ship, and you should have an email with tracking information + helpful tips/tricks.

Pier28...you are the best! Many many thanks!

I think I'll get another one for my girlfriend's car as well after giving this a good go.

Back