Hello From North Carolina

Luteplayers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
VIOFO A229 Pro
Hello, I stumbled across this forum while researching for my first dashcam. I'm a retired US Navy Electronics Technician who is quite compulsive. I'm in North Carolina now, but moved here 3 years ago from Maine.

I have ordered a VIOFO A229 Pro 1 ch. It is going in my '22 Miata soft top. I liked the reviews, and the fact that I could get a rear camera later if I decide to go that route.

My Miata has a homelink mirror that I can get a dongle with USB. I'm not sure of the amps available, hopefully it's enough. I'm not really interested in parking monitoring. If I'm not driving it, it's in the garage.

I might end up getting another for our '21 CX5. If so I'll definitely go front and rear and set it up for parking monitoring. That's the car we take on most of our long trips.

My username Luteplayers is a painting by Maxfield Parrish. I have been using it as a username everywhere for over 30 years and have never found it already in use.

Thanks for having me;
Jim

Welcome to the forum Luteplayers.

I think you will be good with the A229 PRO, i have not sampled this new model myself though, but seem to be doing fine.
You do not hear a lut very often these days, i cant even remember seeing one being used by the DNSO, and that is a fully loaded symphonic orchestra not affraid to play / use alternative means when they play

Some strings in this classic, that's quite nice too.

Hello, I stumbled across this forum while researching for my first dashcam. I'm a retired US Navy Electronics Technician who is quite compulsive. I'm in North Carolina now, but moved here 3 years ago from Maine.

I have ordered a VIOFO A229 Pro 1 ch. It is going in my '22 Miata soft top. I liked the reviews, and the fact that I could get a rear camera later if I decide to go that route.

My Miata has a homelink mirror that I can get a dongle with USB. I'm not sure of the amps available, hopefully it's enough. I'm not really interested in parking monitoring. If I'm not driving it, it's in the garage.

I might end up getting another for our '21 CX5. If so I'll definitely go front and rear and set it up for parking monitoring. That's the car we take on most of our long trips.

My username Luteplayers is a painting by Maxfield Parrish. I have been using it as a username everywhere for over 30 years and have never found it already in use.

Thanks for having me;
Jim
For just 1 channel, power from the Dongle should be no problem.

Attachments

• Generic Brand .png
    Generic Brand .png
    173.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DROK .png
    DROK .png
    398 KB · Views: 3
  • Klein .png
    Klein .png
    255.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks, I won't be doing an interior cam, but might add a rear cam if I can find a good way to mount it. I've seen a lot of Miatas hit from behind. Big trucks have a habit of not seeing them

Translated directly from Danish, when you dont see something, you "overlook " it, which would be it with a very low car and a very tall car.

You do not hear a lut very often these days,
Here you go, you Danish still have them, don't think I have ever heard one in the UK:

Attachments

• VS1 .jpg
    VS1 .jpg
    512.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Miata POV .png
    Miata POV .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
My favorite " shredder " have a less strings on his wood, but he still manage alright.

My favorite " shredder " have a less strings on his wood, but he still manage alright.
The closest popular instrument to the lute around here has a lot more strings, although I think of it as an alternative to the piano rather than lute:

The mandola is also quite popular and sort of lute like:

Took some pics to show rear cam mounting options. The wind blocker move too much. I'm thinking maybe the passenger roll hoops.

I got the cam today. Not mounted yet. Setting it up in the house. I find it strange that the FW Version is 240117 even though the website still has 231208 as the latest available for download.

1000140585.jpg1000140584.jpg1000140583.jpg

Took some pics
Thank you for the nice photos.
FW Version is 240117
For some reason it takes “longer” to update the official Viofo website with new firmware versions.

I just remembered something looking at your photos.
Viofo have been teasing us for many months about releasing a “telescopic” version of the rear camera from the A139 Pro.
The purpose of the camera is to mount on the front windshield and act primarily as a license plate cam.
Similar to the function of the Cansonic Z3+

If the design proves successful, I can see them working on the same thing for the A229 Pro & A229 Plus.
With your application you could mount the “telescopic” version on the front windshield, and shoot out the rear window.
Similar how NextBase does theirs.
But don’t ask @rcg530 about vibration induced into recorded footage. Lol
The Viofo version will not vibrate because it won’t use a hanging suction mount.

A139 Pro Telescopic Rear .png

Screenshot 2024-02-05 7.13.54 PM.png

Attachments

• $0.25 Magic Fingers Vibration Dash Cam 2 .png
    $0.25 Magic Fingers Vibration Dash Cam 2 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • $0.25 Magic Fingers Vibration Dash Cam 1 .png
    $0.25 Magic Fingers Vibration Dash Cam 1 .png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I find it strange that the FW Version is 240117 even though the website still has 231208 as the latest available for download.
Yes, Viofo often do that, without explanation. Your new one may be country optimised or have an extra language in it, or something else that is irrelevant to nearly everyone, just leave it until the website version is newer.

I'm thinking maybe the passenger roll hoops.
I would consider in the centre of one of the roll hoops, but I don't see a good mounting option, you do want it mounted solidly.
Adding a GoPro Mount above what looks like a rear ashtray, maybe it is a roof release lever?, looks easier and it would be a nice location, but you will get some vibration since the mount needs to reach up a bit.

If there is room, mounting it by the interior mirror would be good, then it covers the interior (for parking), and since it is a 2K rear camera there will be enough resolution to read plates behind.

With the hood up, there don't appear to be any options with a good view other than my GoPro mount suggestion, although presumably the rear view mirror has a reasonable view, so a rear camera mounted on the rear mirror should also have a reasonable view...

With your application you could mount the “telescopic” version on the front windshield, and shoot out the rear window.
That is going to have too much magnification for a rear view camera, and won't cover the interior at all.
The purpose of the camera is to mount on the front windshield and act primarily as a license plate cam.
...That can read plates beyond the reach of 4K front cameras.

Back