Help Me Catch a Thief!

dkm16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I've been considering a dash cam for a year or so, but haven't really had the time to mess around with one. Originally, I just wanted the cam for insurance/safety reasons, but now the plot has thickened...

A few months ago my fiancé and I were offered jobs on the other side of the US. We accepted the jobs and hit the road. We've now been living here in an apartment complex for 3 months. So far 2 of my Amazon packages have 'disappeared' and another was found on my doorstep completely torn apart. I could care less about the value of the items I've lost, but what really sickens me is the fact that my fiancé has a very serious medical condition which requires that medication and supplies be delivered via mail order at least once a month. Without these supplies she could potentially die, and we don't want to risk that. I've reported the incidents to the local police department, the complex manager, USPS, and Amazon. The manager said they've had no other complaints about stuff being stolen from doorsteps, so I'm thinking the suspect must be someone who lives close enough that they can easily monitor the surrounding area. Unfortunately, nobody seems to really care about this, (which I understand, because I'm sure they have more important stuff to take care of) and that's fine with me because I'm determined to solve this mystery myself, as I LOVE a challenge.

As I said earlier, I live in an apartment--so as you may have guessed, I can't really drill any holes or modify the building. So installing a home security camera is pretty much impossible. In addition to that, I have reason to believe that the person stealing our stuff is living right across from us (as we're on the second floor and share a staircase with nobody but that particular neighbor). I also think it would be rather obvious if someone just climbed the steps to our apartment, grabbed a 4'x3' box and walked it back to their car/apartment like it was no big deal. It's a fairly big complex and I'd have to think that someone would have noticed this behavior and reported it. If it is the dude living across from us, all he would have to do is wait until USPS comes, listen for the mailman to knock at our door, then check 5 minutes later to see if the package is still outside--if it is, he can pretty much assume we're not home, at which point it would only take 2-3 seconds to grab the box and slide it back into his apartment.

I only saw the guy once since moving here, and he immediately walked up to me as I was exiting my car and started asking me all kinds of oddball questions-- "How much did you pay for that car? What year is it? Etc." I was just being friendly so I played along with his little game and answered his questions carefully. I told him I pay "roughly $300 a month" at which he scoffed and replied, "that's way too much! I could get you that same car for $13k." I wanted to laugh, but didn't because I'm kind. This random guy was telling me (an accountant, unbeknownst to him) that I paid too much for my car without even knowing if it was leased, if it was financed, the length of the loan, etc. He then pointed to a 2014 Maxima and said "that's my car there. I paid $24k for it 2 months ago, but even if you offered me $9,000 in cash I wouldn't sell it to you."

...Huh? What does that even mean? When did I even say I was interested in buying your car, guy?

At this point I pretty much just started walking away because they dude seemed really sketchy, and my dog didn't seem to like him either.

The second package was stolen after my fiancé flew out of town, but her car remained parked right outside of our apartment. So obviously the guy doesn't know which car is hers, because any normal human would assume she was home if her car was parked right outside, right? So now I'm thinking I can kill 2 birds with one stone by buying a dash cam and first using it to catch this fool by temporarily installing it in her car. Then when I'm done prosecuting him and sending him to a federal pen for 5-10, I'll install it in my car.

I've been looking around, but my new job requires me to return to school and pass the CPA exam within 18 months, so right now I don't exactly have enough free time to spend hours researching cameras and whatnot, so any helpful advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. What I'm looking for is a camera that can record 8-10 hours of continuous video while the car is parked. I'd rather not have to drain her battery every day we try to catch this person, so what other alternatives do I have? Or is it safe to assume that 8-10 hours of recording wouldn't even really be enough to kill the battery (I did read that on another forum, but I'm sure that all depends on how much energy each particular camera consumes during recording).

And don't worry, I'll share the video when I catch this degenerate. :)

Thanks everyone.

You need a discreet cctv or ip cam, not a dashcam.

I had similar problems when I lived in an apartment and then a condo unit and after NOT getting some books mailed to me two times, I had the address as my parents home some 330 km away. I was visiting them at least once a month, some times every weekend when going fishing with them so no big deal. I think it was more a case of Canada Post putting things in the wrong mail box

I was using my dash cam as a security camera in March of this year due to some incidents of vandalism so I do have some experience on this matter.

In January Bell Canada dug a hole in the ground, knocking out the cables for their competitor, Rogers cable. This effected my home and three others. Rogers put a temp fix where cables where running from the ground vertically to our homes. Weeks later, some one was cutting the vertical cables forcing Rogers to come in a day or so and patch it up.

The cable were running between the side walk and the street. It was two homes down. I can park my some what small compact SUV on my drive way parallel to the road between the side walk and road - facing the cables. My dash cam was pointed in the direction. I do this from time to time when my niece visits when we have three cars in the driveway ... so it did not look too suspicious.

So the cables were cut with my car facing where the cables come from the groung

Anyway, the lack light at night, the front camera facing the cable caught nothing. I looked at the last 20 minutes of footage before we realized we lost our internet, tv and phone and saw nothing. At this point the police were getting involved after we made a complaint.

After patching the cable another time, Rogers patched again but this time put fibreglass tubes around the cables from the ground to the about 12 feet above the ground. As one of the two tech's were leaving, he said the vandal could still jump and catch the cables as they approach the homes. As such, I parked my car with the front facing the side of the garage where the cables approached and where it approached my neighbours home.

We lost our reception at 10:30 the night put post around the cables. In the morning I looked at the my footage. The "Event" folder has someone jumping, catching and pulling the cables. He then walks right past my rear car camera in the direction we soon find out his home. Given my neighbour left his porch light

I provided the video to police, a neighbour put his old security camera on at the front of his house, another neighbour caught the guy walking between homes, a home in another street suffered the same vandalism and police were patrolling the area in an unmarked car. The vandalism stopped after the police spoke to someone dressed the same way, same height and rogers dug the cables under ground.

Here is the set backs
  1. is it bright enough at night
    • even with video pointed to the homes with the porch lights on were not enough to identify the guy.
  2. How much "parking" video does it have.
    • Mine only records six hours. I think if the car gets bumped, it may record that.
  3. In my case, the clock was losing minutes when the engine was not running
    • A sign the internal battery was beginning to go

Last edited:
Many apartment offices will let you have packages delivered there where at least there will be somebody to keep an eye on them till you arrive. If yours does that is your best solution. Mentioning it's medical supplies might help sway them. I had to open a private PO box to ensure the safety of my deliveries. Extra cost and hassle but just part of what you have to do in today's urban world. Life sure has changed a lot in the 50+ years I've been here and much of that has not been for the better.

Phil

If you can park close enough to your door, do so during day time, not have your door unattended for more than 6 hours it might work.
Before the cable cutting incident, I turned of the blinking flashing security light. My camera is descrete and completely hidden as it is placed in front of the rear view mirror.

Motion sensor trail camera have batteries. Problem is the cameras are are NOT very discrete. Not sure if they can be placed in a flower pot or in a bush. Deer and bears don't seem to care when posted on tree though. They can be a little pricey I have seen some night time wild life shots posted on the web which are fairly clear, unlike that taken with my dash cam when I used it as a security camera.

I don't know what is the maximum length other dash camera goe for, but I think 8 to 10 hours is pushing it.

What about shipping a box to yourself with a cheap GPS tracker inside? Then report the location where it ends up to the local police.

$12.99 from Amazon - Mini Global Real Time GSM/GPRS Tracking Tool
You could even ship it to yourself in the box it comes in from Amazon.
There are many similar devices on the market at low cost.

GPStracker.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea, but i would put that tracker into somthing, i think the parcel will be ripped open and inspected before the thief get home with it.

I never gotten ppl having parcels dropped at ther front door, and then it just sit there untill the owner come home.
That would not work here in clean and o so nice little Denmark, same with shops here having racks of things on the sidewalk outside ther shop, and now they wonder why ther stuff get stolen :rolleyes:

The time of stand up honest ppl are long gone, now the creeps just become more and more in numbers.

What about shipping a box to yourself with a cheap GSP tracker inside? Then report the location where it ends up to the local police.

You could even ship it to yourself in the box it comes in from Amazon.
There are many similar devices on the market at low cost.

View attachment 18428
That is a good idea if concealed in something in the box. Very creative @Dashmellow

Yes, I agree that the tracker should be hidden inside something else. I was just throwing the idea out for consideration without thinking it through all the way yet.

Maybe another idea would be one of those things they use at banks that spurt indelible ink all over a bank robber's face when they open the bag full of money.......or instead of ink maybe some poop! :D

Yes, I agree that the tracker should be hidden inside something else. I was just throwing the idea out for consideration without thinking it through all the way yet.

Maybe another idea would be one of those things they use at banks that spurt indelible ink all over a bank robber's face when they open the bag full of money.......or instead of ink maybe some poop! :D
I am sure those "dye packs" like the banks have can be stuffed with some of the substances that you suggest :D

Just put it inside some old toy or whatever and then put a note in the box mentioning its a collectible so the thief will hang on to it for resale on ebay or somthing.

Just be sure what ever you put it inside dont work as a shield blocking GPS or phone antenna.

You can allso reuse a old box you have somthing shipped in before, i doubt the thief will look at any date or time stamps on the box, as long as it look clean he will grab it and run.

No he will proberly not run as he is a stone cold crook, he will just walk off with it like its a every day experience.

FYI: They have this listed in the notes section.

1.This product does not rely on GPS positioning, rely on the GSM/GPRS baseband station location.

Apparently accuracy is much less precise than one would expect with a true GPS tracker.

KuoH

FYI: They have this listed in the notes section.

1.This product does not rely on GPS positioning, rely on the GSM/GPRS baseband station location.

Apparently accuracy is much less precise than one would expect with a true GPS tracker.

KuoH

Yes, I know. It relies on a cell signal. As I said, I was just throwing the idea out there...same result.

I would go for the idea of Dashmellow, that in turn might result in me pushing a fjew laws but jerryriggin somthing either on my front door or in the parcel itself would not be a problem, and as long as its in the "teach a lesson size" i an sure NSA & ATF wouldent go too ballistic and send my ass to hotel Guantanamo.

I am a strong beliver in "dont get mad,get even"

So here's another variation that includes GPS along with GSM/GPRS. ($24) There are many devices like this on the market. The more expensive ones have greater accuracy, longer standby times, etc.

GPStracker.jpg

Thank you all for your input. A camera with a 6 hour recording capacity would also work, but only if it had the capability to continuously run during an 8-10 hour window while I'm at work. I leave for work at 7am, the mail usually comes around noon, and I'm home from work around 6. So any recording done from 7-11am is essentially useless.

About the dye pack idea--most people don't realize that those dye packs actually contain more than just ink. They're filled with chemical compounds that are designed to actually destroy the money. It would undoubtedly leave horrible burns all over the thief. I'm not trying to get sued.

I had already given the GPS idea a thought too. I'd be too worried about the accuracy of the tracker and how to hide it without the thief finding it and destroying it. I also think it would be difficult to get the police to come and investigate. And the tracker would have no residual value to me if I was able to recover it... Just a waste of money. The dash cam I'd actually use. Plus, I'd have to receive the tracker first, then mail a package to myself. So far he has only stolen Amazon packages... Which makes sense to me because Amazon is one of very few companies who will go ahead and just send you a second package without hesitation. So s/he may be stealing the package while thinking "Amazon will send them a second one for free anyways, so they're less likely to care about the first one missing, or they'll just think it got lost when the second one arrives with no issues".

A video just seems like a much more convincing form of evidence.

This was one of the way you could catch a thief in old days

Make a fake packet with a cheap black camera or other junk inside.
Caution use glove.
Buy some silver nitrate (ebay it). dissolved crystal in water, brush the camera with the solution and let it dry. Keep it out of sunlight, wrap it and put it in the packet.
If you don't use glove, when you handle silver nitrate this will happen to you and the thief and you can't wash it off.
Over the next days, you can see who got dirty hands.

silver nitrate is not poison, but that does not mean you should eat it. Cooking salt can also kill.
Here is a guy who took to much of it. I guess we can call him "Papa smurf"
blue-man-300x225.jpg

I don't know how well it work with a person with darker skin pigmentation.

Last edited:
Concerning packages- I have all my stuff shipped to my work, and most everyone else at the plant does too.

This was one of the way you could catch a thief in old days

Make a fake packet with a cheap black camera or other junk inside.
Caution use glove.
Buy some silver nitrate (ebay it). dissolved crystal in water, brush the camera with the solution and let it dry. Keep it out of sunlight, wrap it and put it in the packet.
If you don't use glove, when you handle silver nitrate this will happen to you and the thief and you can't wash it off.
Over the next days, you can see who got dirty hands.

silver nitrate is not poison, but that does not mean you should eat it. Cooking salt can also kill.
Here is a guy who took to much of it. I guess we can call him "Papa smurf"
blue-man-300x225.jpg

I don't know how well it work with a person with darker skin pigmentation.
:D

Back