Help: Night Vision Action Camera

jokiin

Manufacturer
Country
China
Dash Cam
Too many ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So I can adjust my Mobius to act as a CCTV camera? is it easy and quick to do? and I can switch back to its original form too?
you can swap the lens out easily, there are plenty of threads here from people swapping lenses, night vision isn't normally what it's about but same same when it comes to the process

kamkar1

Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7500G / Innovv C3 / mobius / G1W / SG9665GC & more
something of the cheapest must be the wyse cam 2 ( better ir performance than V1 )
you can see performance around 10:38 in this video

Here is a comparison of several small CCTV cameras, most should have option to store on memory card ( a must of course )

OP
OP
DMICS
Country
Canada
you can swap the lens out easily, there are plenty of threads here from people swapping lenses, night vision isn't normally what it's about but same same when it comes to the process
Will do some digging and ask in those threads, thank you again!

something of the cheapest must be the wyse cam 2 ( better ir performance than V1 )
you can see performance around 10:38 in this video
WC2 looks solid, sadly that's a bit big. Just trying to keep something key fob size like my Mobius. I think I'll get a WC2 anyways for my place. After I figure out this action night camera situation, I want to shift and get cameras for the front yard, backyard and doorbell.

Quick google search and I can across this video. So the darkness I would be filming in won't be like that. No streetlights, nada.

So the darkness I would be filming in won't be like that. No streetlights, nada.

OP
OP
DMICS
Country
Canada
you'll need some type of light source, IR or otherwise
Yup, I know. I still want to try and see what I can capture without the source though. That's my aim. The final product could be good enough.

Nigel

Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1, 0906, A129, B1W
Yup, I know. I still want to try and see what I can capture without the source though. That's my aim. The final product could be good enough.
I think the Mobius is going to see less than a human eye without IR illumination.
Some of the latest dashcams with the IMX219 sensor are very close to the human eye.
The Aurora must be around an owls eye
No camera can see in complete darkness, then you need to turn to other methods such as ultrasonic imaging as used by bats, radar or lidar.

Country
United States
Jokin is right. To do what you're asking cheaply would involve an action camera like Mobius 1 with a lens which does not have IR filter and IR light/flashlight source. I'd recommend after market CCTV lens with the lowest aperture(F1.2-1.4) to allow for most light to reach the sensor(you can look around on AliExpress). If the 1080P quality is sufficient then the lenses are quite cheap. I found a few different infrared lights for under 10$ on various sites but you'd need to DIY. Since Mobius does not have a screen, I'd suggest something which at least has a WIFI so you can easily adjust the lens like JooVuu or Foxeer Legend 2.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-camera-installation/1512187_32883453217.html

OP
OP
DMICS
Country
Canada
Jokin is right. To do what you're asking cheaply would involve an action camera like Mobius 1 with a lens which does not have IR filter and IR light/flashlight source. I'd recommend after market CCTV lens with the lowest aperture(F1.2-1.4) to allow for most light to reach the sensor(you can look around on AliExpress). If the 1080P quality is sufficient then the lenses are quite cheap. I found a few different infrared lights for under 10$ on various sites but you'd need to DIY. Since Mobius does not have a screen, I'd suggest something which at least has a WIFI so you can easily adjust the lens like JooVuu or Foxeer Legend 2.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-camera-installation/1512187_32883453217.html
Thanks my man. I'll be messaging you with questions since I'm now somewhat lost hahaha.

Dashmellow

Country
United States
Dash Cam
SG9665GC, Mobius/M2 (x7), GT680W (modded), DR32, others
Thanks my man. I'll be messaging you with questions since I'm now somewhat lost hahaha.
If you mount a non-IR corrected lens on your Mobius and install a battery powered IR illuminator on your bike you can build a very effective night vision camera system.

https://www.amazon.com/IR-Illuminators/b?node=7161095011

You could conceivably even go with something like this if you install a suitable battery:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ff-road-infrared-led-light-bar-18w/1607/3704/
ir_light bar.png

THIS LINK has some examples of a Mobius fitted with an IR CCTV lens (no IR-cut filter) shooting in pitch dark under IR Illumination.

Last edited:

kamkar1

Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
Lukas LK-7500G / Innovv C3 / mobius / G1W / SG9665GC & more
I am looking for a smaller IR flashlight as the one i use on my scope now are far too bit, and its light actually reflect off my silencer and into the scope as the huge light is mounted on top of scope.