Help Please

CHRISMAC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know nothing about dash cams. I borrowed someones car and inadvertently unplugged the dash cam when wanting to charge my phone. I immediately plugged it back it when I realized it. It appeared to be recording as the red dot flashing, however the date / clock were not advancing. I made the mistake of starting to mess around with it to try and fix this. At one point is flashed a message to insert an SD card although the SD card was never removed. The screen indicates the SD card symbol. The date and clock are now advancing and it appears to be recording but now there is a flashing icon on the bottom right hand corner and I don't know what it means. I'm attaching a crappy picture. I do know that when I unplugged the first time it kept running on its own power but now it needs to be plugged in. I don't know much about the cam except it was cheap... Its described as HD 1080p car DVR 1.5 inch screen. I also know its running at 720p if this is helpful. And thats about the extent of my knowledge. If anyonephoto.JPG could offer some insight as to what this icon is and what I need to do that would be great. I would like to have it running properly before I return it. Thank you in advance!!

The icon on the lower right with a plug symbol means that the camera is plugged in to an external power source. It is likely flashing to show that it is charging the internal battery and it should stop flashing after the battery is all charged up. The internal battery is the reason the dash cam continued to run after you unplugged it. This battery keeps the date and time setting when the car isn't running and can also save the last video file in case the camera should lose power during an accident.

It sounds like you've got everything working OK and you needn't worry about it. If the red dot (or LED) is flashing, that means it is recording normally.

If you have further questions, just ask and someone here will surely jump in to help out.

I see I inserted the pic wrong too lol Sorry. Thanks so much for the reply and words of wisdom. It did look like a plug so I wondered that but its been plugged in for hours. Should it not be charged now?

Thanks again...I just want to return it as I got it!!

Plugging a dashcam to charger doesn't do any harm.

Hi.. Sorry.. It's been plugged in all morning and still flashing. Also wondering if the square under the plug on the icon has anything to do with SD card. Hoping I didn't do anything to it. Thanks and sorry for these basic questions. I have exhausted google.

Hi.. Sorry.. It's been plugged in all morning and still flashing. Also wondering if the square under the plug on the icon has anything to do with SD card. Hoping I didn't do anything to it. Thanks and sorry for these basic questions. I have exhausted google.

That power icon will always flash.
Yes, the square thingy is telling you that there is a sd card.

That power icon will always flash.
Yes, the square thingy is telling you that there is a sd card.
Ahhhhhhh ok. Thanks Sunny. Sounds like I didn't mess anything up then. I appreciate your help. It's still turning off when I unplug it but I was more concerned that I lost some of their footage. Thanks again and happy almost Friday!!

It's supposed to turn off when unplugged. :D

It's supposed to turn off when unplugged. :D

LOL! I guess I've earned that. ;-) In my defence it did seem to hold a charge for a while when I first accidentally unplugged the thing. Getting my cam-less car back shortly so I will be one happy woman!

Oh, come on now, after all that wonderful advice and reassurance you should be saying "I can't wait to get myself a dash cam":)

lol........wonderful advice, support AND a dash of humour! I've actually considered getting one after watching some crazy youtube vids. A good idea for a number of reasons. That said, I promise to 1) purchase a good quality one that comes with a manual 2) creep this forum and learn all I can before posting more noob type questions :)

I was more concerned that I lost some of their footage.
then you'll have to re-record it again: same roads, same places (only different hours :p)
On the other hand, if you moved the dashcam, make sure there aren't recordings about that.

On the other hand, if you moved the dashcam, make sure there aren't recordings about that.
Yes, specially if he/she badmouthed the car's owners and it's all recorded. :D

lol...Hilarious!! I like this place..Can I be a member without a dashcam? ;-)

Thankfully I did not badmouth the owner (brother) although I think I badmouthed the dash cam and dropped a few f-bombs during the commute.

Back