Needing help please

OliverX669

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone if the answer to my question is available here can some please point me to it I don't want to be a bother I recently mailed NextBase UK but they can't help me hence my posting here I copy below the enquiry I sent I do hope someone here may be able to help me. Kind regards Oliver

COPY
Hello,

A friend of mine has recently purchased a new car which has its own dashcam installed and has given me the NextBase Duo dashcam which she has been using for many years together with its USB cable. Unfortunately I can't use the USB cable as when I do my car's radio keeps constantly turning itself on! I need the connection that goes in the cigarette lighter socket and connects to the DC IN socket on the dashcam unit.
I'm having great difficulty trying to establish any identification number or description for this charger/connection item and I would be most grateful if you could identify it for me please I've already bought two items and in each case the plug will not fit in the DC IN socket.
There is little on the dashcam itself to identify it I'll set out all that I can find. The name on the unit is shown as Next Base DUO. The only number shown is D33G14, there is no 9 digit number anywhere. One lens is marked " 140 WIDE ANGLE LENS F=2.2/f=2.05mm" the other "LONG-DISTANCE TELEPHOTO LENS F=2.0/f=12mm".
I have taken some jpg's using the unit and when I examine these in my photograph processing software the data shown in the exif is given as NBDVRDUOE?ls.
I do hope you will be able to help me with this and my apologies if I am being a nuisance.
Kind regards,
Oliver

END COPY

I apologise for having to post again but I've been examining the dash cam again using a large magnifying glass, I'm getting on in years and the lamps aren't as bright as they once were, and I've found the following on it's base : NBDVRDUO 162904886. Hope this might help. Regards Oliver

You're looking for a cigarette lighter to USB adapter? They're dime-a-dozen. Grab one from Amazon. Something that puts out 3A at 5V should do the trick.

What you describe with your car stereo isn't uncommon. It wants to use the USB port to play music from a thumbdrive. It sees what looks like a thumbdrive to it get plugged in, and powers up to try to read it (and likely fails). Older car stereo USB ports often don't sink enough current to drive devices like dashcams, so going the cigarette lighter adapter is the right thing to do.

(and likely fails)
It probably succeeds, but finds no audio on the dashcam, since the dashcam only records video files.

Yes, any reasonable quality "Accessory/Lighter socket to USB adaptor" should do the job. Don't get a really cheap one, but there are plenty of good ones. They are available in UK supermarkets as well as Amazon/Ebay.

Hello bspmicro and Nigel,
Thank you for your messages. It appears my dashcam is a very old model indeed NextBase have been very helpful in tracing its type and after much searching have managed to find the necessary cable which I'm hoping may arrive here tomorrow. They've identified my dashcam as a Duo 720p (OG Duo) whatever that might mean.
Kind regards,
Oliver

It appears my dashcam is a very old model indeed
Probably 2017, a bit out of date, but any dashcam is better than no dashcam if you need to show what happened during an incident.

It is a bit surprising that the battery is still in working order. Hope it works OK for you and you don't have to replace the battery... check carefully that it is recording the last file of your journey, because it will be the last file that you need after an accident, and that is the most likely not to work if you have battery issues.

Back