Help to update firmware 20131202 to 20131230

andynw1

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi...

I have just received my mini 0801 from Amazon UK and it is one with GPS and internal memory.
I currently have 20131202 firmware and want to upgrade it to the 20131230 firmware in order to have Km/h instead of Mph.
I download the firmware from Tobai@s and also dashcamtalk.com/mini0801 where is says latest firmware. I have formatted my card, unzipped the file, dragged the "bin" file (20131230-GPS-2CARD.bin) into the root of the SD card, plugged in the cable but I'm not getting anything showing on the camera to update the firmware. I've tried several versions of the bin file, renaming the bin file to all of the options listed in the forum, with and without the cable etc. but not able to update. I have read through all the different posts on the forum but I am still unclear as to the name format for the bin file. Anyone able to help?
Maybe an exact step by step guide for the newbies would be useful...

Thanks

Name it "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin" and try it again :p
(make sure you have file extensions enabled)

I don't believe it... I had used that name during my first tries but nothing. Copied from your post the name of the file and pasted it to the file I downloaded from your site and hey presto it worked like a charm....wierd!! thanks alot mate.

Tobi@s, I note from your site and also on the Dash Cam Mini-0801 firmware page, that the latest mph/kph version is 20131230 - but both imply only for "GPS - Internal Card" and "No GPS - No Internal Card".

I have a "GPS - No Internal Card" and have the E-Prance unit delivered with 20131226. I have had problems with a Transas 32Gb Class 4 Micro SD card. I want kph and wonder if 20131230 (GPS - Internal Card) will work for me.

Any tips gratefully received.

Hi, you can use 20140115 - it is a MPH/KPH version, too.

Well, it didn't work.

I formatted the card, downloaded the file, changed the name, copied to the sd card root, inserted the card and started the cam.

The screen correctly showed "FIRMWARE UPDATE?"
I moved the highlighted answer to "YES" and pressed the "OK" button.
The screen showed "PROCESSING ..."
After a few seconds the screen switched to normal and the original firmware was operating. The menu confirmed the version number was the original 20131026.

I repeated the operation a number of times with both the internal battery and connected to a PC USB socket - with no different result. After the "PROCESSING ..." display the unit does not begin the update but switches to normal recording mode...

BUT no longer records - so the update began enough to corrupt the original firmware where it will show the screen image but not record the video and GPS files.

Thats odd... The update algorithm checks the checksums and offsets of the firmware before it starts to flash. The problem you described
After the "PROCESSING ..." display the unit does not begin the update but switches to normal recording mode
normally happens on CRC mismatch
Redownload the firmware maybe

I've tried to load the original 20131026 firmware but the same process occurs - the "PROCESSING ..." screen then in a second or two a switch to normal operating mode.

With the DCIM and Misc directories created but empty - no recording files generated.

It would appear that the bootstrap firmware is faulty and now I have effectively a bricked unit.

Last edited:
You could keep tryin to flash it on the go o you use a burning cable and just flash 20140115 elf with DirectUSBII

I'm sorry, I do not understand ... "on the go"? "burning cable"? "flash .... with direct USB"?

That's all gobbledygook to this non-hacker.

I suspect I shall now have to throw this crap away and get something proven and stable.

I'm sorry, I do not understand ... "on the go"? "burning cable"? "flash .... with direct USB"?

That's all gobbledygook to this non-hacker.

I suspect I shall now have to throw this crap away and get something proven and stable.

Ship it to Tobi@s maybe he can fix it

Read the firmware section unbricking part) in the mini 0801 FAQ then you should know what to do :p

Read the firmware section unbricking part) in the mini 0801 FAQ then you should know what to do :p
Okay, I have read it and you are right, I do know what to do ... junk the Mini-0801 rubbish and buy a decent dash cam.

Back to the Dash Cam Comparison page.

Mine seems to be an non updatable cam. Firmware 20130604. None of the bins work with any names. Just ordered a male to male USB adaptor and will try an elf file soon.

All I really want is to change it to mph.

Well, it didn't work.

I formatted the card, downloaded the file, changed the name, copied to the sd card root, inserted the card and started the cam.

The screen correctly showed "FIRMWARE UPDATE?"
I moved the highlighted answer to "YES" and pressed the "OK" button.
The screen showed "PROCESSING ..."
After a few seconds the screen switched to normal and the original firmware was operating. The menu confirmed the version number was the original 20131026.

I repeated the operation a number of times with both the internal battery and connected to a PC USB socket - with no different result. After the "PROCESSING ..." display the unit does not begin the update but switches to normal recording mode...

BUT no longer records - so the update began enough to corrupt the original firmware where it will show the screen image but not record the video and GPS files.

Hello Everyone, first time posting.

I had similar issue with Beachcomber. I follow the procedure outlined in min801 page about upgrading(download 20140115 - GPS + External from Tobi@s site .. thx) . I used "firmware-NO1-SPIF-TB15.bin" as the filename for the update. I get the prompt for the update, but when confirm yes it goes to the "PROCESSING ..." screen. Then one second later it jumps in normal operation mode.

Currently my firmware version 20131026. Everything still seems to work for me after trying to, so I don't have a bricked unit.

Have I missed something? Thanks in advance

Maybe the downloaded file is corrupt. Try downloading again. If it aborts a few seconds after it's because the verification of the binary failed. I'll try to provide a checksum with the fw binaries in the future.

Thanks Tobi@s for the help.

Tried downloading it off my phone(cell) and off my work network. Same issue. I was using a Class10 but I've tried a Class 4 card too to eliminate the that problem. I will try again at home on the DSL network.

I have a camera (GPS ext memory only) with the original 09032013 firmware and it won't update. I tried the 1202 and 0115 firmwares along with all the different names with bin extensions. It just boots to the logo and starts. It starts recording when on power or on standby when on battery. I tried it with and without the GPS module connected. Also tried two different memory cards, one class 6, the other class 4. Formatted the card in camera before.
I have another newer one that came with built in memory/GPS with fw 1202 and I was able to successfully upgrade it to 0116, so I know what I'm doing.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
There's firmware 20140116 out. Did you guys try this? Does it fix the problem?

Back