help with selecting cam

sejtam

Reaction score
I currently have a rather cheap China-made DVR (built into the mirror, with second rear camera input).
It works ok, but has several drawbacks:

- no GPS tracking/speed
- the connectors are at the top, getting into the way of the mirror mount (this thing clips onto the existing mirror)
- the time drifts awfully

I am thus looking for a replacement, with the following requirements:

a) dual (front and rear) cameras
b) ideally combines recording of both signals into *one* video at the same time (side-by-sde)
c) GPS location, speed, timestamping into the video if possible
many dvrs seem to have 'gps tracker' support, but that seems to record the GPS track
separately, not stamp it into the video, which could render it less useful for proof..
d) should allow re-use of my eixisting rear-cam
e) large SD (or micro-SD) support. at least 32GB
f) good video quality, should be able to read license plates
g) good night visibility,
h) wide-angle front lense (at least 110 deg, wider is better)
i) small, shoud not obscure much view onto the road
j) suction mount in window, between/belos existing morror
k) automatic start on power-on
l) loop recording, configurable segment times. Reserved space for 'protected' recordings
m) button to show front or rear view on display/ mirroring rear to allow use as reverse-cam

nice to have but not really essential
n) rapid decelartion and/or loud bang detection to protect current recording (at least 10 seconds before incident)
o) preserve recording on button press
p) easy to reach sd-card slot (to retrieve card w/o having to remove whole unit)
q) mike mute option (permanent or on button press).
r) KML/KMZ,NMEA or other GPS track recording feature

Should not be hugely expensive.

Does anyone have a recommendation what migh

Absolutely on the 'dream feature' category would be supprt for either Wifi or 3G (own SIM)
and ability to upload/email recordings, tracks, pictures etc on command or on detected
incident. But that's a must at all. It likely brings the cost through the roof anyway

I had few recommendations, but I have dropped them after read your @ " ... Should not be hugely expensive. ".
First of all: what is your budget ?

niko said:
I had few recommendations, but I have dropped them after read your @ " ... Should not be hugely expensive. ".

I'd love for it to stay around USD 100-150. 200 at the most if features are really compelling

sejtam said:
niko said:

I'd love for it to stay around USD 100-150. 200 at the most if features are really compelling

There are few in your budget, but to be honest: video quality is poor. To get almost all specs you looking for with good video quality day and night, you need to stretch your budget much higher.

Is there maybe some tool which I can browse the specs and it shows me the cameras?

Else I'd like to still get some recommendations..

sejtam said:
Is there maybe some tool which I can browse the specs and it shows me the cameras?

Else I'd like to still get some recommendations..

There are no English language websites for good selection of latest dash cams allowing you to brows using tool option.

If with lcd screen, then check Urive Albatross 2, or Topsync s-300hd and latest Itronics 2ch dash cam.
If no lcd screen, then G-Net Classic Limited or BlackSys CF-100.

Those are high quality Korean dash cam systems with positive feedback on big Korean forums and blogs, but good does not come cheap. You need to consider spending in total up to 450 usd if need full package with gps, maybe power magic device etc.

You can find more info about them browsing Multi-channel subforum.

There are many other new 2ch premium dash cams systems recently released in Korea, I still keeping eye on their local forums and if within some period local consumer approves them to be reliable, then I will share more info here.

Back