Hidden install in headliner - heat issues?

evlo

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
Did anyone hidden install headliner between headliner and root or inside overhead storage? I'm a bit concerned about heat issues as i read that this cam sometimes have problems that heatsinks get very hot.

Did anyone hidden install headliner between headliner and root or inside overhead storage? I'm a bit concerned about heat issues as i read that this cam sometimes have problems that heatsinks get very hot.
The Mobius heat sinks do get very hot and it's advisable to not put them against something that can melt or get damaged by heat.

Hmm, so should i wait for innov c3 or will it most likely be ok in overhead glasses storage? (obviously sticked to the inside of it with side that does not have heatsinks)

If the heat sinks don't directly contact anything and get air it's fine. Any camera will get warm and shouldn't be fully enclosed

Last edited:
You'd need free air movement over the heat sinks for them to work properly. Otherwise you risk the temps inside the compartment continuing to rise and the Mobius failing. The heat sinks get too hot to touch, so there is a fair amount of heat being radiated. (There was a recent post of a Mobius with a warped case simply from use in a warmer climate - it wasn't used in an enclosed area either.)

My Mobius seems to run cooler on a super cap, but I still wouldn't recommend installing it too close anything flammable!

Unfortunately that is only viable option for mounting mobius for me. I will try it and see (as i can return it within two weeks). If it does not work i will hope that innovv C3 will be available as it will give far greater mounting options for my needs.

Thank you. Tough i kinda need install that is almost invisible even from inside the car.

My installation is very discreet. The DVR itself is hidden inside the map reading light compartment with the lens fixed onto the rear view mirror using the 8 inch lens extension cable and a thin piece of wood painted black. Initially I used double sided tape to mount the lens module onto a thin piece of wood, but it was not secure and I find the lens detaching from it all the time. I resorted to hot gluing the lens in place and this resolved the issue. With this setup, I am able to view the LEDs directly to confirm that it is recording. It's probably not the most elegant solution especially with the hot glue, but it's probably as discreet as it could get.

I've been using the Mobius for about 2 months now and I've not experienced any issues with overheating, but then again, I'm in the UK where temperature rarely gets above the mid 20 degrees C, even during the summer.

Perhaps one day I'll make a video explaining my setup along with the wiring and 12V - 5V conversion.

Attachments

• IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0338.JPG
    IMG_0338.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0339.JPG
    IMG_0339.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 82
i don't think it's "healthy" for your mobius.
there is no air circulation near the heatsink. you closed the unit inside with no option for the warm air (that got warm from the heatsink) to get out.

With this setup, I am able to view the LEDs directly to confirm that it is recording. It's probably not the most elegant solution especially with the hot glue, but it's probably as discreet as it could get.
My Mobius is concealed from view from the driver’s seat as well as from the outside. My solution was to cut down a 3 feet 2,2mm diameter Digital Optical Fiber Cable and insert the cut-down end into the LED hole. When the cable end is stripped the core is 1mm and fits nicely into any of the LED holes. I choose the red LED as it is easier to see in daylight.

I then ran the cable under the headliner to a small 2mm hole I drilled in the lining above my head. The other end of the cable, still with the original plug attached, but trimmed down to expose the brass tube completely, now protrudes by only 1mm through the drilled hole in the liner. I glued the plug on the backside of the lining to make sure it stays there. It works great for me.

Optical Fiber_1.jpg Optical-Fiber_2.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270616829500

Attachments

• Optical Fiber_1.jpg
    Optical Fiber_1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Optical-Fiber_2.jpg
    Optical-Fiber_2.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 35
Back