How do I cut off power?

dolesun

Reaction score
Country
United States
New guy here. Just purchased a 7900 ace but my cigarette lighter is on 24/7 even without the car on. I don't want to drain my car battery and I don't want to keep turning the thing off or have to unplug every time I park, so I'm looking for options. The LK290 might be an option I guess, but that relies on the battery voltage and the lowest setting on time is 12 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have to tap into your car's IGN (ignition) power wire - regardless of whether you direct-wire or use a LK290 or 350.
Finding that wire is the hardest part, but it can be found at your car stereo cable/wiring, or some people use a fuse tap, or search for the car's electrical wiring diagram.

You could cut off the cigarette-lighter end and simply direct-wire it to IGN power, assuming the feed is fused. Or use an LK290/350.

You have to tap into your car's IGN (ignition) power wire - regardless of whether you direct-wire or use a LK290 or 350.
Finding that wire is the hardest part, but it can be found at your car stereo cable/wiring, or some people use a fuse tap, or search for the car's electrical wiring diagram.

You could cut off the cigarette-lighter end and simply direct-wire it to IGN power, assuming the feed is fused. Or use an LK290/350.

Thanks Ken. I'm assuming power is needed for the parked mode anyway right? I guess I can just unplug or turn it off at home or at the office knowing that the car is sitting for a long period of time but it's such a hassle. Is this what other's are doing if their car supplies constant power to the power outlet?

New guy here. Just purchased a 7900 ace but my cigarette lighter is on 24/7 even without the car on. I don't want to drain my car battery and I don't want to keep turning the thing off or have to unplug every time I park, so I'm looking for options. The LK290 might be an option I guess, but that relies on the battery voltage and the lowest setting on time is 12 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use the LK-530 with my 7900. Its a backup battery source, that connects directly to any live all the time power you can find from your fuse box, then the 7900 mates to this device. You set the cutoff voltage desired, so as it doesn't drain your battery, then a 2 hour charge while driving, will provide about 12 hours continuous power to your 7900 , until it reaches the cutoff voltage set, then it will shut down.

You have a few options:
-Limit how long your car is parked and running the camera, but risk a dead car battery if it's a couple days or more.
-Manually switch off or unplug the camera (which is a hassle).
-Use a power management device like the LK-290/LK-350/LK-530 to limit Parking mode power usage and ensure no dead car battery.
-Power the camera from Ignition wire and don't use Parking mode.

For Parking mode, you need car battery power supplied to the camera (what your cigarette lighter does) when the ignition key is off. There is a risk of draining your car battery dead if the camera is always recording, so the LK-290/LK-350 have some power management features where they pull power to the camera after a timer expires (6/9/12hrs) or low voltage is detected on the car's battery. Once power is pulled to the camera, the LK-290/LK-350/LK-530 go into a sleep mode until they see ignition key back on. No danger of your car battery going dead. The LK-530 uses a built-in lithium-ion battery but has no timer.

In this respect the LK-530 and LK-290 will be the same?
With either device, once the car battery drops to the specified voltage the power will be cut off to the camera. It's just that the LK-530 will use it's battery before using the car's battery?
So your options would be either one of these devices or plug into a switched power source. On my car it's reversed. The cigarette lighter socket is switched and the accessory sockets are always on (at least the one in the center console).

Some car makers give cig. lighter power all the time, and others switch it with the ignition key.

I've never used the LK-530, but it looks like it supports both possibilities:
-For vehicles with switched cig. lighter power, it supports Parking mode by supplying camera power from its internal lithium-ion battery when input power (cig. lighter) is off.
-For vehicles with always-on cig. lighter power, it prevents a dead car battery by disconnecting power to the camera when low voltage is detected.

All the Lukas "Power Safety Devices" like the LK-270/290/330/350/530 feature the car battery low-voltage disconnect, which is needed to oversee Parking mode recording.
It's confusing because they offer similar features and do you really need 5 different models...

Okay, so I tested the 7900 ace today and I noticed sometimes my car battery goes down to 12.1 volts while driving (actually stopped at a red light). I want to go ahead and get the LK-290 but what voltage should I set it on for it to cut off? 12v or 12.2v?

Set it to 12.0V as your alternator/battery must be getting old or your idle speed is too low.
Stopped at a red-light, headlights on, voltage drops down to the battery level and a bit lower due to wiring losses. A good battery is 12.8V-12.5V under (headlights) load. Older one is 12.2V; but your alternator is supposed to be contributing.
Anything less than 12.0V is a really low battery, but enough to start the car.

Hi.

If you don't want your car batteries drained, you may use Lukas's external batteries,

Lukas has 2,600mah(8~9hours) / 3,000mah(10~11hours) types Batteries as below.
Full charge takes approx. 2~2.5hours.

http://astrobile.com/lukas-lk-530-12v-2600mah-about-2-hours-charging-time-8-9-hours-recording.html

http://astrobile.com/lukas-lk-530-12v-3000mah-about-2-hours-charging-time-8-9-hours-recording.html

You can consider which types are suitable for your use.

For Lukas other accessories, you can see from our site below.

http://astrobile.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?p=2&q=lukas

Regards,
Jeremy

Last edited:
the LB100 is livue not Lukas if you are going to quote facts please get them right

Back