how do i put a camera in the back window?

cloudyseas

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was thinking of perhaps buying a new carcam and putting my old one (only brought It a few months ago) in the back but there is no 12vAcc power, my car is a hatchback and I took the inside panel off and there only is 12v perm and 12v with the lights switched on

so any suggestions, apart from running a cable under the carpets?

There is no courtesy light in the cargo area? Might be able to tap one if there is.

actually there is a light and I did think of that but that is 12v perm too

BTW: Getting the 12V from the interiour light (before the dedicated switch e.g. glove compartment or ceiling light) has a BIG advantange in modern (<10 years) cars:
It's turned on at the turn of the door key or the remote opening-transmitter. And goes off normally 5-10 Minutes after locking the door or the last "movement" on the other switches in the ****pit.
So you can trigger the recording by your key remote controll. and even records the short time after you parked your car.
(in case there is a fellow watching your car to do stuff just immediatly after you leave, to make sure to having "it done" if you return quick. this is at least how it's mostly happening here in parkings at supermarkets etc where it#s known that people just stop buy for some sandwiches on their way to work, having very likely a laptop computer in the trunc.)

So i recommend to test how long after closing the doors and/or removal of the ignition the lights in the open glovebox and/or forced switched on ceiling light stays on. If this is below 30 minutes it's ideal for hard wiring dash cams.

I used a Power Magic and ran the wires along the loom under the door sills to the rear quarter Then ran the camera wire behind the trim and up under the rear taildoor seal across the top and stuck the camera on the trim under the roof and in front of the door.

In a Landcruiser I had I worked the wire through the grommet and into the taildoor and fitted the camera to the door glass Was a bit of an effort but can be done with care and a dollop of personal lubricant to make the cable slide more easily

Back