How do I remove my old mount?

Paul Schmehl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO (front cam only)
I used some dental floss to separate the mount from its base, and the base is slightly loose, but I don't want to damage anything. What's the best way to remove the remains?IMG_0738 copy.jpgIMG_0738 copy.jpg

I remove lots of adhesive base items. I used putty knife, flat plastering blade, varies width and I have a tool, that I can wiggle it side to side, which is the easiest I find.

Putty or pallet knife is good, but make sure it is flexible and not sharp otherwise you risk damaging the glass - ie not a knife designed for cutting.

If you heat the glue a little with a hairdryer, not too hot to touch since that would risk cracking the glass, then it should come off with the dental floss/fishing line, or the best i've found is stainless steel welding wire.

I ended up using a chisel. I put it up against the base and gently tapped with my hand, to get it started. Then I pried from side to side and worked it until it started peeling loose. Eventually it came off with very little residue left behind.

I ended up using a chisel. I put it up against the base and gently tapped with my hand, to get it started. Then I pried from side to side and worked it until it started peeling loose. Eventually it came off with very little residue left behind.
Pretty much the same thing I do, but with a razor blade scraper - makes it easy to get started, just use a good blade so you don't scratch the glass.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07MJTZM2Z

Pretty much the same thing I do, but with a razor blade scraper - makes it easy to get started, just use a good blade so you don't scratch the glass.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07MJTZM2Z
I started out with something like that, but the razorblade was so thin I was afraid I was going to break it. The chisel had enough oomph to work it loose.

This might get a little messy, but if you spray WD40 on the adhesive, (do this on a cool windshield in the shade or in your garage,) and let it sit a bit. The WD40 will dissolve the adhesive and makes the mount removal easy. But, as said, it might get a little messy, so be prepare to have to clean up a little. (Safety note: If you smoke, don't during this process or have any open flames.)

Hope this can help

Use a heat gun or hair drier. Heat up the remaining goop. It should pull off with a little effort.

Back