How To Remove 3M Sticky Residue

NRH90

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622gw
Evening Everyone,

I noticed the 3M sticker on my Nextbase dash cam was starting to peel away from the windscreen on one side, resulting in a lopsided view. So, since I already had a new spare sticker waiting to be used, I removed it.

However, I'm now left with some sticky residue from the 3M sticker on the windscreen, as well as some thicker parts of the sticker that broke away during the removal, or more the me just pulling it off.

Does anyone have any tips to remove the residue and thicker parts of the 3M sticker from my windscreen. Any sprays/solutions out there I can use?

Hope someone can advise :)

Nathan

Use a sharp razor blade to scrape it off. You can get nearly 95% off with this method without much effort.
Just be careful not to cut yourself.
For the remaining glue use some glass cleaner. Works well enough.

This method worked flawlessly for me.

I agree, on clean glass you can scrape most of it off with something sharp, i have even at times used my pocket knife.
Any left over you can " roll" together with a finger and pick off in small balls of sticky stuff, and the remainder residue most solvents will take care off.

If you like me glue to the frit / dotted area on top of the windscreen it is harder to really get it all off, and i dont really care much for the last little bit as soon a new camera will be there.
Just over the years and not cleaning very much at all in between cameras, well they will end up not sticking so well to the "glass" then, but remove the worst of it and you are back in the game.

I use a " professional solvent / glue remover, that is from the brand kent and is called Speedy 500, but i had that stuff around so just use it ( and i am out soon as in spite of the container being capped the damn stuff still evaporate it seem )

I don't know if it's available in the UK but I've been using a product called GooGone for years now for these types of issues.

Alcohol wipes might work. Maybe some water on a paper towel.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I’ve bought a bottle of Goo Gone, a tub of Isopropyl Alcohol wipes and a scraper with plastic razor blades. Should arrive tomorrow thanks to Amazon Prime.

Should all hopefully do the job and I’ll be able to have my dash cam back up tomorrow.

Make sure to thoroughly clean the glass after using Goo Gone before applying the new 3M sticker. 3M recommends 50% isopropyl alcohol and water for prepping glass before application. I find the alcohol alone is usually fine.

Allow time for the tape to bond properly before mounting the camera or driving on rough roads. (see guide)

You may find this link helpful.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...paration-technical-bulletin.pdf?&fn=87015.pdf

Make sure to thoroughly clean the glass after using Goo Gone before applying the new 3M sticker. 3M recommends 50% isopropyl alcohol and water for prepping glass before application. I find the alcohol alone is usually fine.

Allow time for the tape to bond properly before mounting the camera or driving on rough roads. (see guide)

You may find this link helpful.

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...paration-technical-bulletin.pdf?&fn=87015.pdf
So these are the wipes I’ve bought. I can’t see where it says what percentage they are though.

AF Isoclene - Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes / Isopropanol IPA Cleaning Wipes – Tub of 100 https://amzn.eu/d/2eAmyez

So these are the wipes I’ve bought. I can’t see where it says what percentage they are though.

AF Isoclene - Isopropyl Alcohol Wipes / Isopropanol IPA Cleaning Wipes – Tub of 100 https://amzn.eu/d/2eAmyez

The percentage is not a major concern. The wipes should work fine as they are. If you want to dilute the strength a bit there is nothing to prevent you from adding a little water to one of the wipes but I think that shouldn't be necessary. The basic idea to is get all the Goo Gone off the glass before applying the tape and to make sure you are applying to a clean surface.

The percentage is not a major concern. The wipes should work fine as they are. If you want to dilute the strength a bit there is nothing to prevent you from adding a little water to one of the wipes but I think that shouldn't be necessary. The basic idea to is get all the Goo Gone off the glass before applying the tape and to make sure you are applying to a clean surface.
Brilliant, thank you for the advice. Much appreciated :)

After getting off what I can with a fingernail I've always used normal DIY store white spirit for the final clean, then a good wipe with paper kitchen roll, then leave an hour to fully dry.

Back