How dos voltage cut off in hardwire kits work?

evlo

Reaction score
Country
Czech Republic
I think it would still use power to measure voltage and control relay, but maybe it works without any power draw?

I think it would still use power to measure voltage and control relay, but maybe it works without any power draw?
It will depend on the hardwire kit, if it uses a relay then the relay will only use power when on, if it switches using a mosfet transistor then it will use very little extra power on or off.
I guess most switch on/off using the control input of the 12V to 5V voltage regulator so use no extra power over what is used anyway for voltage regulation, except to sense the voltage and that is probably a few micro amps.

I think most hardwire kits will only use a few mA for the switching however they work, which will be a lot less than your car alarm, so not really anything to worry about.

My Thinkware F200 has built in voltage detection and can be programmed to shut off once the battery voltage drops below a selected level. There are no relays.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

All power supplies will draw a tiny amount of current when connected even with the cam turned off, but it would take at least a year to run your car battery down. Same for power control devices and circuits, whether built into the cam or external to it- they too will have a tiny current draw when not in use. With low-voltage cut-off, you should look for those having a range between 12.4V which is being very conservative, and 11.8V which is about as low as a car battery will tolerate when new. Most people seem to prefer 12.2V to 12.4V settings.

Phil

Back