How is Your Vico MF3 going?

I miss the daytime Picture Quality of the VicoVation MF3 (equivalent to the OPIA 2) with the 1440p resolution.
I have the VIOFOs which are less than half the price of the Vicos. Not nearly as good ... only good enough for the job - so I can live with that.
I'm reluctant to pay AU$350 for an OPIA 2 at this stage ... and they first came out in June 2016 ... so getting a bit old. (oldie but a goodie)

I'm a little surprised that VicoVation appear happy to sit back ... rather than upgrade their Flagship OPIA 2 model to include the latest & best technological advancements
in the last 2 years. Maybe if they come up with a new improved model with better night vision ... I may consider investing in one.
Until then ... I'll hang on to my 350 bucks and make do with what I have. (y)

Last edited:
The Opia 1 is their new camera with the Sony sensor. This will have better night image over the Opia 2.

I'm not sure I'd be calling dropping back from 1440p resolution to 1080p for their new model an 'upgrade'
It is robbing Peter to pay Paul. One step back then taking a step forward.

The OPIA 1 is going for AU$290 .... so I'd be going for the better Day PQ of the OPIA2 for the extra AU$60 unless I was mostly doing night travel.
VicoVation need to do better than that and add the improved night vision to their OPIA2.

You'd think VicoVation would put the Sony Starvis 291 in the OPIA2 and then kick back to celebrate being awarded 'Best Dash Cam' on the market in 2018 (y)
With a price tag of AU$400, perhaps with a new design ... and watch them walk out the door.

Last edited:
Your still only getting 1080p if you add the Sony sensor to the Opia2.

Oh ... that may explain why Vico haven't gone ahead with an upgrade yet .... 1440p + better night vision ---> waiting for components to catch up to expectations.
Cheers CYA

Carry on :cool:

ps. I'm the 'ideas' Man ... it's up to the rest of you blokes to figure out how to do it. :devilish:

I miss the daytime Picture Quality of the VicoVation MF3 (equivalent to the OPIA 2) with the 1440p resolution.
I have the VIOFOs which are less than half the price of the Vicos. Not nearly as good ... only good enough for the job - so I can live with that.
I'm reluctant to pay AU$350 for an OPIA 2 at this stage ... and they first came out in June 2016 ... so getting a bit old. (oldie but a goodie)

I'm a little surprised that VicoVation appear happy to sit back ... rather than upgrade their Flagship OPIA 2 model to include the latest & best technological advancements
in the last 2 years. Maybe if they come up with a new improved model with better night vision ... I may consider investing in one.
Until then ... I'll hang on to my 350 bucks and make do with what I have. (y)

I only paid £79 for each of my 2 MF-3 so I am very happy with the picture/price ratio.

As a note, they do produce pretty severe FM interference. On an S Class Coupe, there is part of the antenna in the large rear screen and a radio signal amp. At the top of the roof as it joins the screen, in the middle.
Lord knows what it has in the front windshield.

For me its not an issue as I never listen to the radio - just cds and sd card stuff.

I did put a ferrite clip in by the cam and by the usb charger end for both. This helped quite a lot. Then put a ferrite ring on the power + cable by the fuse and by the USB port this helped a little more. By now its almost acceptable.

I then put two more in the ground cable at both ends ... not tested with all of them but do not expect it would have eradicated the interference totally.
Just a heads up for radio Lovers ... without any ferrite rings it was so bad it would even knock out the station names ... so pretty dam bad!

Lets just say with the Harman Kardon top amp upgrade the sound for an OEM unit is as good as it gets.
With the dashcams off, the radio is crystal clear .. not a single squeak!

Obviously I wouldnt even think about messing with this integrated solution, on a Mercedes S Class Coupe.
I just accept it ... not worth making it look clunky with shielding material etc.

Btw I am using quality Juice Bitz 4mm thick shielded usb cables.

New low end version from vico released - vico mory. So, i think this model just replacement mf3 and have more little size

So VicoVation have opted for a downgraded model in preference to an improved upgrade. Disappointing.(n)

So VicoVation have opted for a downgraded model in preference to an improved upgrade. Disappointing.(n)
I agree thats a stupid move, ??
I would have left the MF3 as it was, but included 1,440p at 60 fps and cured the FM Interference.
Job done nice looking unit with better performance, and maybe slicked up the auto switching into Parking mode.

Do they think we actually want rubbish?
Odd people.

All I can think of is that they are happy to sit on their older award winning Flagship model of mid 2016, the OPIA2 ... and don't want to tinker with it..?
Either that, or perhaps they are patiently waiting for a better night vision sensor before taking the plunge on an Upgrade to the OPIA2 ..?
Didn't happen to see the price of the new model ... only going by the newer 1080p OPIA1... VicoVation doesn't appear to be providing a cheaper model at a significant reduction in price.

All I can think of is that they are happy to sit on their older award winning Flagship model of mid 2016, the OPIA2 ... and don't want to tinker with it..?
Either that, or perhaps they are patiently waiting for a better night vision sensor before taking the plunge on an Upgrade to the OPIA2 ..?
Didn't happen to see the price of the new model ... only going by the newer 1080p OPIA1... VicoVation doesn't appear to be providing a cheaper model at a significant reduction in price.
The MF1 is their budget model.

Mf1 and mf3 is out of produce like i know. Mf3 will be sell on china market with another name.
Vico mory - agree, strange strategy, retail price will around $130

Geez now I'm starting to second guess my order yesterday of the opia 2. This is my first premium dash camera and I'm wondering if I should have ordered from street guardian instead. I wanted their DC model, but it was a little to pricey for at this point, but I know it is well worth the money. And seeing how active SG is I like the comforting feeling that they offer excellent customer support. Should I cancel my opia 2 order from newegg? I haven't read very many complaints on the opia 2 and it has all the features I need. But, so does SG.

The Opia 2 is a bit big and bulky but the reviews are generally positive, this is maybe their best model for video quality

The Opia 2 is a bit big and bulky but the reviews are generally positive, this is maybe their best model for video quality
Well, it seems it's to late to cancel seeing as newegg already shipped my opia 2. Maybe il still save up and get a street guardian for my car and use the opia 2 in my wife's car.

I'm sure it will be fine
Thank you for replying. I am still going to order the SG9663DC when i get a chance. I just can't get past the customer support and how well the cameras have preformed from reading numerous articles and reviews.

OPIA2 have been around since June 2016 ... tried, tested and all (y). Will be better with a CPL filter.
Doubt there is better daytime Video quality going around. Excellent choice.

OPIA2 have been around since June 2016 ... tried, tested and all (y). Will be better with a CPL filter.
Doubt there is better daytime Video quality going around. Excellent choice.
Thanks for the reply! I also have been searching for quite sometime but I cant find a definite answer. When i bought the opia 2 I didnt opt for the vico power plus. My car has two power outlets, one only has power when the car is on and the other has constant power even when the car is turned off. What I'm wondering is if I can still use the parking mode on the opia 2 by just plugging the camera into the constant power outlet? Since many cars that have a constant power outlet, I've read that the voltage drops when the car is turned off so theoretically the parking mode should work since the opia 2 detects the voltage drop and records at the lower resolution 720p. Do I still need the power plus?

Back