How long do you run your video loops for?

McBain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
G1W
I just got my G1W today off ebay and I must say it's awesome video for the price. So I have my video set for 10 minutes right now. What is the consensus?

I figure if I get pulled over I want to record the audio just in case and 10 minutes is probably the best option for this so it doesn't cut out much during the conversation.

Also, does the motion detection option cut videos every time you stop at a red light or stop sign?

So I have my video set for 10 minutes right now. What is the consensus?
Other members here have said to have problems with anything but 3 min clips so while i have not done any personal testing with clip size i leave mine at 3 for less hassle. I also recommend smaller size clips when using any camera because it is easier to go through footage this way as if you were to lock a file it would lock the whole 10 min file and you would have to search through 10 min clips for something you needed.

I figure if I get pulled over I want to record the audio just in case and 10 minutes is probably the best option for this so it doesn't cut out much during the conversation.
I have not had any cut out issues, but my best advice here would be to take a trip around town and see how the audio quality is for you. Different things can affect it. How loud you keep your radio. Where your camera is placed if your windows are up or down. Go for a ride on normal route turn your radio where you would usually have it. turn it off have a conversation with a passenger maybe even have them stand next to your car and talk to you like how it would be if you were pulled over so you can get the best idea.

Also, does the motion detection option cut videos every time you stop at a red light or stop sign?

Motion Detection should work like this. You leave your camera on, but not recording, and when someone walks in front or a car drives past it starts recording a clip. and then stops 30 seconds to a minute after motion stops in front of the camera.

To be completely honest motion detection is rather useless as by the time it records a car driving past and starts recording the car will be halfway out of the shot to far for any chance of a plate or anything.

Luckily I don't have any issues with mine on 10 minute loops. I use a class 10 GSkill 32Gb microSD card and it works fine. Only 1 to 3 seconds between clips.

1-3 second gaps in footage?
With my transcend card i actually get one second of overlap in footage for every 3 min clip. When played back in RegistratorViewer together the start of clip 2 is the same second of footage at the end of clip one.

same here, an overlap of video with at least 1 second....

longer record cycles as 10min per loop are easy on the flash card but also risky in terms of data security....
if there is a nasty error in the device somewhere then it may lead to loose all the 10min footage....while on smaller loop times smaller footages is lost... in the 10min example only 3min lost and the other 7 may be recorded properly in other loops
but i did not encounter any error with the g1w yet, seems to be reliable

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
winter4w G1WX 7
Chris Gay G1WX 8
Error7 G1WX 9
D G1WX 2
seagull21 G1WX 191
Back