how to identify a fake Mini 0801

Rayman.Chan

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Dash Cam
mini0806, mini0806S, mini0903/0905, mini0906, mini0808
The fake Ambarella A2S60 chipset Mini 0801 have been launched to market this week. which have NO firmware debug service, NO firmware upgrade service, and POOR warranty. It is unfair for users which may spent $100 but got a fake or relegated Mini 0801 camera.
(please be noticed the ORIGINAL firmwares can't be upgraded into the FAKE 0801, which will brick the device.)

More fake images uploaded to post #25 in page 2, update on Jan.04, 2013. (10 images limit in the post)
Both devices are Ambarella A2S60 chip inside.

Here are several images may guide you to identify the fake Mini 0801, please take care when you order your enamored camera.
1.jpg
2.jpg

And attached several photos of the original Mini 0801:
ebay3.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
ebay5.jpg
ebay6.jpg
_DSC8409.jpg
G.jpg

Last edited:
DashCamMan should make this thread a sticky one.

Thanks for the information!

NO firmware debug service,
Really bad! ;D

I got an awesome deal on mine, but wow. I just got my camera a few weeks ago, dodged a really close bullet there. I'd probably be one of the fools to buy the fake one on eBay if I waited a little longer and knew nothing of the mini 0801 :(

These are 2 completely different cameras, I think the fake one is Russian,

This web site sells them http://www.ojocam.com and he also sells on eBay as fonestop

I have brought and dealt with this gentleman and have had a great experience, he has great customer service. He helped me sort out with the firmware for my mini 0801 which I purchased from him.

And there are at least 3 other camera's that I have found this week that look very similar to the mini 0801, they all have different specifications. So it's buyer beware.

Copied from the above web site ----

OJOCam Value Dash Camera with G-sensor (No GPS support)
Highlight

• Records 1080P HD Video & Audio
  • 3 Axis G-Shock Sensor for Accident Data
  • Easily Mounts onto Vehicle Dashboard
  • Includes 1.5" LCD Viewing Screen
  • 120 Degree Viewing Angle

dash_cam_value_package_content__30432.1384872240.107.123.jpg

• Records Time and Date Stamp
  • Up to 32GB SD Card (Not Included)
  • Based on Novatek Processor
  • 90 days Warranty
  • Free shipping
  • Easy 30-days - return policy
Specifications

Image Sensor 2M/5M pixel CMOS
Lens 120 Degree Wide Angle
Video Resolution 1920*1080P 24FPS, 1280*720P 30FPS, 720*480P 30FPS
Video Codec AVI

Language English
Screen Size 1.5 Inch TFT LCD Screen
Card Slot Micro SD Card
Maximum Card Memory Up to 32GB (not Including)
Motion Detection Yes
GPS logger N/A
G-Sensor Yes
Cycling Recording Yes
Car Plate Stamp N/A
IR Illumination N/A
HDMI Output Yes
AV Out Yes
Port 1 x USB port, 1 x TF card slot, 1 x HDMI, 1 x AV OUT
Battery Type Built in 250mAh Battery

Package Content
1x Value series Dash Camera
1x Car charger
1x USB cable
1x Windshield Camera Mount
1x Opertiponal Manual

not sure what you mean, no cameras are made in Russia

notice that the site you linked is selling the knockoff and the original type

Ok it has what looks like Russian script on the box, but the point is, it's a different camera, it is not a mini 0801, the spec's have at least half a dozen things which are different.

It's like saying this one is a 0801

upload_2013-12-13_22-50-39.jpeg

it's common for boxes to have Russian print as that's the main market for most Chinese cameras

the pics you've posted above is an even older model that the 0801 is a knockoff of

Wait? So is the one from fonestop fake? I got mine from him... And the box tells me the camera is manufactured by ojocam....

Then again, I just unbricked mine two days ago and updated the firmware for it using the stuff posted here, so I'm sure mine's genuine. The question is, does fonestop sell fake ones?

UPDATE: Yes, fonestop does sell the fake ones. But he does emphasize that it is the "value" model, does NOT have GPS, only records at 720p @ 30fps or 1080p @ 24fps, and has a Novatek CPU.

Last edited:
Wait? So is the one from fonestop fake? I got mine from him... And the box tells me the camera is manufactured by ojocam....

Then again, I just unbricked mine two days ago and updated the firmware for it using the stuff posted here, so I'm sure mine's genuine. The question is, does fonestop sell fake ones?

UPDATE: Yes, fonestop does sell the fake ones. But he does emphasize that it is the "value" model, does NOT have GPS, only records at 720p @ 30fps or 1080p @ 24fps, and has a Novatek CPU.

yeah as I mentioned above they sell both types

I got my update from ojocam.com or fonestop, because the update from e-prance didn't sound right for my camera, because in the first place I looked on this site http://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/ --- said the following.

Other Models

Like many Chinese cameras, this dash cam is sold under various names:

• Jado 169 (comes from original factory)
  • Smallest Ambarella Car DVR
  • ProCam CX4 (Russian version – comes from the original factory)
  • HD009
  • 1080P A8
So I thought it best to go back to my supplier and get the software from him. If the camera was a copy at least he should have the correct software

To unzip his software I needed a program called "7-Zip" which was written by the same person as his update. this program can be found at
http://igor-pavlov.software.informer.com/

I'm using windows 8.1 and it couldn't unzip the file correctly.

Last edited:
I would not say any of them are a fake, each camera is a camera in its own right with slightly different specifications which in appearance look very similar.
Which means be very careful, check out the spec's thoroughly and choose wisely.

For me it was size, full HD, and after looking at this sites review of an older model I was convinced -- http://www.techmoan.com -- he said that he was going to leave it on his windscreen because he liked it so much, he has reviewed lots of cameras, and last but not least your comments on this site. I like the thoroughness on this site so I joined your forum.

I would not say any of them are a fake, each camera is a camera in its own right with slightly different specifications which in appearance look very similar.
Which means be very careful, check out the spec's thoroughly and choose wisely.

good advice

Video Resolution 1920*1080P 24FPS, 1280*720P 30FPS, 720*480P 30FPS
Video Codec AVI
Screen Size 1.5 Inch TFT LCD Screen
the spec you shared is another lower fake version which use Novatek NT96220 chip, which provide ACTIVE 720P video. please notice it has a 1.5' screen which is the same housing with the fake 0801 i photoed.

upload_2013-12-13_22-50-39-jpeg.2622

this is an old camera on 2012, can be said to be Mini 0801's "ancestor". NO screen. it is 720P NT96220 chip inside now. It is called "Iron Pan" here in China dash cam field.

there are several models similar with original Mini 0801, listed here:
1, fake Mini 0801 with Amba A2S60 chip, with or without GPS (active 1080P);
2, fake Mini 0801 with Novatek NT96650 chip (active 1080P);
3, fake Mini 0801 with Novatek NT96220 chip (active 720P);
4, old "Iron Pan" with Novatek NT96220 chip (active 720P)

Last edited:
PHi Rayman! I just received a Mini 0801 from a ebay seller! It looks legit and came with a updated software 20131202. However i do 2 questions:

1. mine suppose to come with a gps logger; that's a 'gps' opition in setting (open/close); however when i drive with the camera on (with GPS 'open') , the top only show V:---MPH without showing me actual speed detached by the GPS. Is it something wrong with my GPS logger?

2. my 0801 does not have the marking of '1080P FULL HD' on the shell of the camera. i hope it is not a fake one.

Thanks for your input and help!

PHi Rayman! I just received a Mini 0801 from a ebay seller! It looks legit and came with a updated software 20131202. However i do 2 questions:

1. mine suppose to come with a gps logger; that's a 'gps' opition in setting (open/close); however when i drive with the camera on (with GPS 'open') , the top only show V:---MPH without showing me actual speed detached by the GPS. Is it something wrong with my GPS logger?

2. my 0801 does not have the marking of '1080P FULL HD' on the shell of the camera. i hope it is not a fake one.

There are 2 files one for MPH and the other KM per hour. If you need to change go back to your seller and ask for the version which you require. Just follow the instructions that come with the file, it's not that hard. If a dumb ass like me can do it I'm sure you can.

As for if it's full Hd or not, if you are happy with the quality of the video, you can see what is going on clearly, when you use "Registrator Viewer" zoomed in, you are able to read about 50% of the number plates in good light, then in my opinion the camera is OK and most likely to be full HD. These cameras are made at lots of different locations so they may be slightly different. Check with your seller, he can only do one of two things --- be nice or be a ass hole. If he's a asshole we will try and help out.

As for being a fake, if the camera is doing what you brought it for, then there is not a problem, fake or genuine there wont be much backup service anyway.

software version indicates it's the 0801 not a copy, GPS wouldn't show as an option if it wasn't there, faulty GPS maybe, not sure

have you connected power via the bracket or the camera, are you using the included power adapter?

I will receive a "fake" mini 0801 with Ambarella A2S60 tomorrow, also i will compare with the original one and share info here.

I will receive a "fake" mini 0801 with Ambarella A2S60 tomorrow, also i will compare with the original one and share info here.

interested to know what it's like, the original version was built on minimal hardware spec, would be interested to see what they have compromised on now if it's even cheaper, it was already realistically about as cheap as the A2 platform could be made

check out the latest comment on the Techmoan 0801 blog. (user accidentally bought the fake!)

'Andrew Priest (Aushiker)' added The Mini 0801 - Tiny 1080p GPS Car Camera with an LCD Screen:

"I made the mistake of not carefully noting all the details and purchasing from one of the suggested links and instead purchased a Mini HD 1080P 0801 Ambarella A2S60 Chip Car DVR Cam Blackbox OV2710 G-sensor GPS (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111207490066) from ebay seller hk-to-world. It turns out to be a poor quality fake. Heck even the mount is different which should have been a red flag to me. Oh well a lesson learnt. Hopefully this helps someone else avoid making the same mistake."
<http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/8...-1080p-gps-car-camera-with-an-lcd-screen.html>

cleardot.gif

Back