How to identify a fake

FoxOffer is legit, don't bother with the older 0801 though.

The Mini 080X is produced in many different factories with varied quality control and varied components unfortunately. (kind of pot luck)

I am looking to buy a dash cam on e-bay, but I am not sure if I am going to get the real deal or a fake.

I am not yet sure what I am going to get, but here are my options from e-bay, are they original?

0803: https://www.ebay.com/itm/111410316896
0801: https://www.ebay.com/itm/371061045868

Is there a better price I can get it in US?
Save yourself trouble and waiting and buy it from @spytec in NY. or on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/usr/spytecinc?_trksid=p2047675.l2559 or amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00KB948B2

Avoid GIVOE from Aliexpress, my experiance with them has been far from favourable although I did get the 0801 from them and that camera I am quite happy with despite being bricked now to only showing MPH after they tried to resolve a firmware issue.

The mini 0803 has to many bugs in it to be happy with the worst part for me was the overheating issue! How the hell does a camera over heat in winter?

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would avoid the 080x. The camera is good but the support is very poor, this is due to the number of clones now circulating with variable build and internal component quality. The level of firmware control is dire, there basically is no control of firmware releases, no version control, generally no release notes are issued, and if they are experience shows they are incorrect, so we have no idea what issues are fixed or if any enhancements have been made. The camera has potential but there needs to be some level of control over the product and firmware IMO.

Agree with that last statement 100%, I honestly dont know if the two I purchased are real or not. I thought getting them from the same supplier of the 0801 was the best option to guarentee genuine article. But the after sales responses where lacking. The latest round of abusive (thats all I can call them) emails from the supplier further supports my feeling of them not being genuine. One positive is at least purchasing with credit card you have some comeback.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would avoid the 080x. The camera is good but the support is very poor, this is due to the number of clones now circulating with variable build and internal component quality. The level of firmware control is dire, there basically is no control of firmware releases, no version control, generally no release notes are issued, and if they are experience shows they are incorrect, so we have no idea what issues are fixed or if any enhancements have been made. The camera has potential but there needs to be some level of control over the product and firmware IMO.

poor support on the original product is not because of clones, it's just poor support

I have been lucky in that my 0803 is working ok however there are issues that need addressing but which are being ignored. Its far too variable whether you get a good one or a bad one at the moment. It is also wise not to assume that the latest dated firmware is actually the latest. I am using 20140804 v1.0 firmware, which i believe is from the original developers, because it is the only version with the mute issue fixed however the video quality is not as good as earlier dated firmwares but that is a compromise I have made.

Last edited:
Its far too variable whether you get a good one or a bad one at the moment.
Had to look a fair way down the 0803 forum to find the last problem report and then it was Synopics "Mini 0803 Problems / Will "NOT" Stop Recording" thread and he still hasn't explained how it was able to record for days without any power!

I think it is clear that most of the initial problems have been sorted, in fact I think there have been amazingly few fault reports recently...

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to look a fair way down the 0803 forum to find the last problem report and then it was Synopics "Mini 0803 Problems / Will "NOT" Stop Recording" thread and he still hasn't explained how it was able to record for days without any power!

I think it is clear that most of the initial problems have been sorted, in fact I think there have been amazingly few fault reports recently...

Could it be that those that had issues i.e mute bug, startup problem, lock ups, memory card compatability, excessive heat and over sharpening have decided to just stop complaining?

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that those that had issues i.e mute bug, startup problem, lock ups, memory card compatability, excessive heat and over sharpening have decided to just stop complaining?

That is more the truth

I must be lucky (for once) and received a good one. I'm quite happy with it.

If one would want to further press their luck and try to update the firmware, how would one go about it? My present version is 20140611 ver.1

There is little point "upgrading" firmware as nothing has changed since your version however, if you are affected by the mute bug then 20140804 v1.0 is the only firmware that fixed it.........20140812 firmware broke it again!

And still no watermark for the GPS speed

Something to take note of is that newer dated firmware is not necessarily the latest version, version control for the 0803 is non-existant.

Something to take note of is that newer dated firmware is not necessarily the latest version, version control for the 0803 is non-existant.

correct, date is not an indicator of change, just when the particular version was finished, changes are often limited to menu changes or logo change for specific customer needs

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight on the firmware. I think I'll leave well enough alone and enjoy what I have. Thanks again.

I am looking to buy a dash cam on e-bay, but I am not sure if I am going to get the real deal or a fake.

I am not yet sure what I am going to get, but here are my options from e-bay, are they original?

0803: https://www.ebay.com/itm/111410316896
0801: https://www.ebay.com/itm/371061045868

Is there a better price I can get it in US?

It's best to buy from a retailer that's active on this forum (like us ;)) than from Ebay. You'll get a genuine one for sure.

Kelvin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Linda Mini 0803 9
H Mini 0803 1
Back