I am another, does this exist :(

Barnyclan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Have just found this Board, hello to all :)

I am disabled and I do not do lots of miles, rather most around town or parked.
At night my car is in a garage.
But over the last 3 years my car has been damaged 4 times while parked, it
is very annoying, in 2 months I am getting a new car, The Mini Countryman SE
and I want to keep it safe, I would like the following, top of list is most important.

2CH So most the car is covered.
Good Parking Mode with motion detection and G Sensor
At least 1080 res
Wifi
This is because it will be easier for me to get the files.
Also I would like it total auto if possible, so it knows
when to shut down and the like so saving battery :)

I know its a haul, but :(

Thanks

And i assume you have a disabled sign in / on your car too, and it get damaged / vandalized :rolleyes:

What you ask for are pretty doable, even right now with the Thinkware brand probably having the best option for dualchannel and parking mode at the moment.

BUT ! i dont think you should run out or jump to the computer and buy right now, cuz several brands are popping up in this segment too, and even the cameras will also see some change with dual remote cameras on the way.
And with dual remote cameras if you are not that mobile in the car, then you can stash the main box with the memory card within reach and not on the windscreen as current designs dictate.

If you use parking mode and after all not drive that much as you say, then you do have a additional ( parasitic ) drain on your battery, so a BDP ( Battery discharge preventer ) is a must, and also since you say you do not drive that much, well then you probably need to not have the parking mode on with the car in the garage, cuz after all you do need to drive some to generate new power for the battery, so if you drive little and use parking mode a lot then it could be a issue, not that you cant tart car as the BDP will make sure there is power for that, but rather running the camera in parking mode.

Rest assured we will be able to find you something good by the time you get your nice new car, most likely also available within the UK so no week long wait for it to arrive.

Not sure with the new generation of cameras, but in the old one wifi have been plagued by really slow wifi speeds, but thats not really a issue if you are only going to DL a event file now and then from the camera.

it is a good idea to inspect the content of your memory card once in a while to make sure things are normal ( drive sessions not starting or ending in uncommon places ) and a memory card format are also needed once in a while.
But as you say you drive only a little this should be fine if you do that every 3-4 months.
A 128 Gb memory card as i would recommend for a dual channel camera take me about 10 minutes to inspect on the computer, you dont have to play all your recordings and watch it all, just first and last file in a drive session and if it can play on your computer, so you just have to watch a few seconds of each file you choose to inspect.

Your drive sessions you can see according to the date/time files the recordings are named with, and they are stacked nicely in order on the memory card, so easy to navigate on the computer.

If you are anything like me i bet you will fast notice that you drive the same routes again and again, so you will fast build a feeling for where the camera start to record and when it stop setting of from / to so and so locations.

Last edited:
O i forgot motion detection are hard unless they find some way to limit its sensitivety, cuz as it is now that generate a lot of false events with people just passing, hell even leaves or a bird flying past can trigger a event, so if you have a lot of files to go over, getting them off the dashcam using wifi might be a slow process.

I would never use wifi even if they make it faster, on my USB 3.0 card reader on a USB 3.0 port on mu computer i get the full 90 MB/s transfer speeds of my memory cards, where current wifi cameras might be able to give you 10 MB/s speeds, and that is slow if you are getting several 1000 MB of the camera ( a single 3 minute file are normally 350 MB or so in size ) So it dont take many of those before you start to ask for "full speed ahead"

+1 what kamkar said. From the research I've done before my dashcam purchases, I believe it's a fairly universal acknowledgment that Thinkware currently has the best parking mode feature with Blackvue a close second.

It's true there are newer models supposedly coming out this year that claim to be more advanced/better features, but if you play that waiting game you will never purchase a dashcam. You only have a 2-month window to decide, so to save yourself some time I would suggest you begin your search with the two brands I mentioned and go from there. Good luck!

I do not do lots of miles, rather most around town or parked.
At night my car is in a garage.
But over the last 3 years my car has been damaged 4 times while parked, it
is very annoying, in 2 months I am getting a new car, The Mini Countryman SE
and I want to keep it safe, I would like the following, top of list is most important.

2CH So most the car is covered.
Good Parking Mode with motion detection and G Sensor
Welcome to DCT.

How many hours a day is the car parked in town? If it is only 1 or 2 hours, you might want to consider any of the dual channel cameras available and simply have continuous recording whilst parked, rather than limit yourself to dashcams with a good parking mode. As @kamkar1 pointed out, motion detection can be a bit flaky. With continuous recording you will hear the 'bang' as someone opens their door into the side of your car, and then record them driving away. With motion detection you will record cars arriving and departing, but you may not record the impact on the side so you won't know who is the culprit.

Power consumption during motion detection is almost the same as continuous recording. If you're not parking for long durations, it's not going to require a vast amount of storage. A 128GB card as suggested will be adequate for more than 8 hours recording on a dual channel camera.

Thanks again everyone :)
Now have my Countryman SE, it is a great car :)
I have purchased the DOD RC 500S with the DP4 Hardwire Kit.
Now I have no idea what fuse is always live :(
Does anyone know what fuse will stay permanently live.
I have a tester but some of the circuits stay live around 30 mins
after shutting car down.

Anyone ?

Forgot to say, BMW Mini will not help as they have had problems
with there own dashcam, but they actually cut it into the loom :(

Back