I broke my 70Mai mount... where to buy mount only?

zijin_cheng

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all, I broke the 70Mai mount, I tried using a Gopro mount but it was too big. Anyone know where to buy the 70Mai mount by itself without buying the whole thing again?

Ask the seller you bought from, maybe they can source one for you. I'm unfamiliar with this cam but if anyone here has one and can try the mount from other cams, that might let us point you toward mounts which will work with this one.

Phil

I can give you some ideas for a repair if you can not buy just a mount.

Dash cam mounts are almost always made of ABS plastic.

ABS plastic melts in acetone. You could try covering the 2 ends of the broken parts in acetone to soften the plastic so it will join together. It may or may not work.

Fingernail polish remover can be found that is non-acetone but you would want 100% acetone fingernail polish remover that is available for around $1 for a 6 ounce bottle. You can buy abs filament like this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/362414436211 and snip it into short sections place it into a closed jar of acetone and melt the plastic into a liquid you can paint on for a repair. This is a slow and tedious process that may or may not work. My first attempt at joining 2 parts together this way saw the part break in half when placed under mechanical stress.

A better solution if you have a dremel is to cut the abs filament (in the link above) into short sections maybe 2-3" long.,Put that into a dremel at medium to high speed and let friction weld the pieces together. This friction welded repair should be as strong as the original part was from the factory. Factories use friction welding in automobile production.

The easiest solution requiring the least skill is to get some epoxy rated to handle plastic and epoxy the mount back together. I have read that superglue can also work BUT superglue creates a brittle bond that might not hold up under stress.

I have used both the paint on liquified ABS and epoxy to fix a mount. I believe using the correct epoxy for the job makes the strongest most reliable bond because tehre is little elft to chance. Welding the parts together by using ABS filiment should create a very strong repair but I have not tried this method of plastic welding myself.

Do NOT use PLA plastic for the repair. Insist on obtaining ABS plastic. PLA plastic will crack inside a hot car. ABS is much more stable in the heat found in a hot car in the summer.

Hiya mate,

which mount did you break? can you post some pics as possibly will have one to spare

Thanks for all your replies, I don't think repairing the mount is possible as my dad inserted the locking mechanism into the windshield mount and pulled, so those rings are broken now. The 70mai ring mount is still intact though.
I have contacted multiple retailers for parts and none of them have it, even Aliexpress doesn't have any of these parts.

Attachments

• Broken part.JPG
    Broken part.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Broken part 2.JPG
    Broken part 2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies, I don't think repairing the mount is possible as my dad inserted the locking mechanism into the windshield mount and pulled, so those rings are broken now. The action cam mount is still intact though.
all clear now, dashcam itself is ok just windscreen sticky mount is gone...
I'll check for spares and will be back soon

Sorry mate, cant find it anywhwre [emoji21]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Looks similar to many "GoPro" type mounts. Those can be had cheaply from Banggood or Gearbest, or can be had quickly from Amazon Prime. It might be worth chancing a few dollars to try one of those if you can't get the original.

Phil

Found it lol, was right before my eyes [emoji16][emoji16]
f2445804ccd99fded28bea87074578a0.jpg
af7633683ca7f9e4b3b3544c9bd63ca4.jpg

Looks similar to many "GoPro" type mounts. Those can be had cheaply from Banggood or Gearbest, or can be had quickly from Amazon Prime. It might be worth chancing a few dollars to try one of those if you can't get the original.

Phil

It's not. I have gopro mounts in my house and they are approximately twice as big as this mount here.

Found it lol, was right before my eyes [emoji16][emoji16]
f2445804ccd99fded28bea87074578a0.jpg
af7633683ca7f9e4b3b3544c9bd63ca4.jpg

Haha nice!

can post it to you, mate. where exactly are you based?

There are numerous mounts for 70mai, with suction cup or to rear view mirror rod.
link
link
link

The native mount is horrible to use and the camera shakes awfully when driving, so I've decided to make my own mount.
In a local drugstore I've bought a 0.69€ 32mm tube clamp which fits perfectly to the camera as it has exactly the same diameter:
13036065-0100-400x400-abracadeira-simples-ppr.jpg

And then I've ordered a few strips of 3M dual lock tape for about 15€:
3m-dual-lock-reclosable-fastener.jpg

IMG_20181119_191013.jpg

InkedInkedIMG_20181119_191026_LI.jpg

IMG_20181119_195624.jpg

Whilst the camera sits firmly inside the clamp I was afraid that it still could be rotated and shaken inadvertently while the car was in motion, so I've decided to put a few layers of duct tape on the camera avoiding to block too many air vents. The tape did the job and the camera is still rotatable yet I can insert and eject it easily.

IMG_20181125_120928.jpg

I bought the wrong 3M Dual Lock, I should have bought the black one :(
IMG_20181125_121837.jpg

IMG_20181125_1218372.jpg

After doing a test drive no shaking and vibration were present on the video.
IMG181125-113817-000013.JPG

Last edited:
Back