I can't win / 3rd time unlucky.

Rajagra

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Mini0806
So, I had two prangs where my dashcam (0806) let me down, losing exactly the recordings I needed when I turned off the ignition.
So this weekend I fitted a Vico Power Plus. Works great.
I replaced the camera's battery. Works great.
I refocused the lens while I was at it. Everything's pretty sharp.

Today I noticed the screen varied in brightness when I wiggled the camera. Dodgy mount connection. So after getting home I thought I'd clean the contacts. I removed the camera and took it indoors.

You know what's coming next don't you?
I heard a loud bang in the street. Ran outside to check it out and saw a car pulling away quickly. The driver had reversed into my brother's motorbike, pushed it 3 feet along the road (can see where the sidestand was scraping) and the bike fell onto my van.

After a moment of anger I thought "Ah, hang on, it's OK. My camera records after I park up."
Except it can't do that when it's in the house having (yet another) fault fixed. Grrrrrr. :mad: Talk about a letdown.

Now luckily I did see the car, and it was the one parked up when I parked myself. When the camera WAS running. And although I don't have the whole number plate in a single shot because the bike was between us, by watching the whole parking sequence the whole number plate can be read.

I've reported it by phone and will be visiting the police station to make a statement tomorrow.
I don't know how seriously such hit and runs are treated, but I'd really like to see the driver get their comeuppance. Sadly there is no camera footage showing the driver, that would have been really perfect.

There are lessons here, but Christ I'm having a hard time getting this dash cam thing paying off. Someone asked in another thread why dash cams aren't more popular. I think I know why they aren't for everyone.

I guess no matter what you need luck on your side, and apparently that have forsaken you in the dashcam department.

Stunning how you can ram something and then just drive away, i really think ignorance like that should be punished harder.

So, I had two prangs where my dashcam (0806) let me down, losing exactly the recordings I needed when I turned off the ignition.
So this weekend I fitted a Vico Power Plus. Works great.
I replaced the camera's battery. Works great.
I refocused the lens while I was at it. Everything's pretty sharp.

Today I noticed the screen varied in brightness when I wiggled the camera. Dodgy mount connection. So after getting home I thought I'd clean the contacts. I removed the camera and took it indoors.

You know what's coming next don't you?
I heard a loud bang in the street. Ran outside to check it out and saw a car pulling away quickly. The driver had reversed into my brother's motorbike, pushed it 3 feet along the road (can see where the sidestand was scraping) and the bike fell onto my van.

After a moment of anger I thought "Ah, hang on, it's OK. My camera records after I park up."
Except it can't do that when it's in the house having (yet another) fault fixed. Grrrrrr. :mad: Talk about a letdown.

Now luckily I did see the car, and it was the one parked up when I parked myself. When the camera WAS running. And although I don't have the whole number plate in a single shot because the bike was between us, by watching the whole parking sequence the whole number plate can be read.

I've reported it by phone and will be visiting the police station to make a statement tomorrow.
I don't know how seriously such hit and runs are treated, but I'd really like to see the driver get their comeuppance. Sadly there is no camera footage showing the driver, that would have been really perfect.

There are lessons here, but Christ I'm having a hard time getting this dash cam thing paying off. Someone asked in another thread why dash cams aren't more popular. I think I know why they aren't for everyone.
See if somebody had a security cam hooked up to their house, its a longshot but follow up on it.

The only police interest will be in the hit and run which they should investigate and they will probably take action, but that is a separate issue from the claim you need to make against their insurance. Make sure you have the video well backed up, you don't want to loose it now! It is an important part of the evidence for identifying the car.

You should try to encourage the police to go and check their car out for evidence of the collision quickly since you didn't directly see or video the "accident", your insurance may need a police report to make the claim.

You should try to encourage the police to go and check their car out for evidence of the collision quickly since you didn't directly see or video the "accident", your insurance may need a police report to make the claim.
I'm pretty sure it's a local owner, one of those cheeky b******s who's always parking in front of other people's houses. I will take a walk around later. I wonder if they were smart enough to park distantly. Or take off the P plate that would confirm it's the right car by the position it's in.

I know this car did it. It was parked fairly close to my brother's motorbike when I arrived, and I saw it driving off seconds after the crash. It would not be possible for any other vehicle to have pushed the bike into my van the way it was.

Well I found it ... all the way at the end of my road. Guess they weren't that smart.
Trouble is, it will be hard to tell the old damage from the new. It had the cracked brake light and I think the deformed right rear wing before this incident...

micra.jpg

Hmmm... I'm half tempted to park my van facing it and leave the camera running to see how they react.
But with my luck they'd drive into it again.

Looks like they have had a bit of practice!

Can you see what marks are new from your video? The dark mark at the back looks like a reversing incident.

Probably best to let the police have a word with them first, but you could leave them a note asking them to call with their insurance details.

Can you see what marks are new from your video?
It's difficult because the parked bike was between us, but I'm pretty sure at least one mark on the left of the bumper is new.
Probably best to let the police have a word with them first, but you could leave them a note asking them to call with their insurance details.
I think I'll let it be a surprise for them when the police call. Maybe they'll deny everything and dig themselves in deep.

The Police know what to look for, old damage will have dirty/faded/obvious aging while new will look new. Somebody hit-and-run my co-worker long ago andcthey saw ir happen. The police went to where the plate indicated and were inspecting the car when the owner came out and asked what was going on. The car was dirty but the paint scratches clean, and there was some paint from my friends car stuck there. The owner denied everything then the savvy cop said that they were going to have to tow the car in for evidence and that it would be months before they could release it, and all because nobody would admit to being the driver and it was clear that this was the right car. At that point, thinking of what life would be like without a car, the owner confessed. The Cop didn't take him to jail but the Judge suspended their license leaving them a pedestrian anyway, and his insurance fixed my friends car. Had the owner kept his mouth shut it would have gone better for him since nobody could ID the driver but the Cop played it perfectly and in the end justice was better served for that.

Hopefully you'll experience similar.

I go to great lengths to fix things, being a cheapskate :p but my patience has limits. An inaccurate tool once caused me to lose a few hours of my work and right after that discovery my boss came up asking what I was doing as I took my frustrations out on that tool with my hammer. "Just fixing a problem so it doesn't happen again" was my answer. When I told him what had happened he agreed that it was a sure-fire fix :D You may or may not want to use that kind of 'fix' but I assure you that it feels quite good doing it :cool:

Phil

Update. The police have decided to "take no further action."

May as well go public then.

Update. The police have decided to "take no further action."

May as well go public then.

Wow, that sucks. What excuse did they give?

I saw the car screech away. I had footage of the same car being there when I parked. I reported the incident within hours. That night I found the car in the same street and took photos of its damage. Next day I went to the police station to make a statement. Next I heard was today saying insufficient evidence to expect successful prosecution. I don't think they took any action at all. Couldn't they have at least had words with the registered keeper? Being told that would have been something.

Now I'm faced with seeing the car parked in my street regularly and expected to take the higher ground.

Sent from my tap-to-talk using Tapatalk

Nissan Micra?

How old is the driver!?

Judge Judy would have told you the same... no witness evidence.

There were witnesses. I saw the car peel away. A neighbour also heard the crash, came along and saw the car peel away (and commented on the P plate.)
And in the UK when an offence is committed the registered keeper must say who was driving. I don't know if there are exclusions, but it would be bloody ridiculous if going through a speed camera makes it a requirement, but an actual hit and run doesn't. But bloody ridiculous is pretty much the norm with government attitudes to road use these days.

Put all their windows in, and buy a ddpai m6+.
Your on a hiding to nothing with an 0806 they are very flaky as you discovered

Back