I connected my brand new A118C directly to the car wires. It died.

trodat

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I connected my brand new A118C direct to the car wires. It died.

1 - So, by doing this I bypassed a fuse or something, right? Where is it?
2 - Anything I can do to get it breathing again?

I connected my brand new A118C direct to the car wires. It died.

1 - So, by doing this I bypassed a fuse or something, right? Where is it?
2 - Anything I can do to get it breathing again?
Did you use a 12V to 5V converter? If you connected it directly to a 12V power source instead of using a 12V to 5V converter you probably 'fried' it.

Nah, I just cut the lighter plug and connected directly. I'm pretty sure it's fried...
So, originally, where's the converter? In the lighter plug?
What exactly did get hurt and can I repair it?

I believe so.
To do what you want you need one of these. wired to one of these and plugged into the correct fuse spot for your car depending if you want it to be on when the car starts or on all the time.

Sounds like you fried it. If you cut the wire after the lighter plug, and then ran that wire directly to power, you fried it. The 12V to 5V converter is in the plug itself. If you took the plug out of the set-up, you ran 12V directly to the dashcam.

Nah, I just cut the lighter plug and connected directly. I'm pretty sure it's fried...
What exactly did get hurt and can I repair it?
Yes, it's in the plug so by cutting it off you put 12V directly into a 5V device. Most likely not repairable, and if it was probably not cost effective to do it.

Thanks.

I think next time I'll just make an extension from the lighter cable, connect another socket, hide everything somewhere, and use the A118C plug on that socket. It will get the job done. I'm not missing anything, right?

Is your car lighter socket only on when the car is on or is it on all the time?

Thanks.

I think next time I'll just make an extension from the lighter cable, connect another socket, hide everything somewhere, and use the A118C plug on that socket. It will get the job done. I'm not missing anything, right?

Just wondering why you would need an extension, the cables are usually long enough.

I just meant that I'll connect an extra socket to the lighter cable. No extension needed, the cable is long enough indeed.

You could also get a lighter adapter if you want to connect more than one device, there are lots of different styles to choose from, something like this:
images

Back