I hate micro SD cards !.

Dimas

Reaction score
Country
United States
One slip of a finger nail, you launch a projectile. Good luck finding it in a car.
Just wondering why even a large size dash cams use micro SD.
I know the XX7 series use full size SD but only 720p.
Is there 1080p that uses full size SD and with GPS too ?.
... may be even with rear cam like F90 with GPS.
Is this too much to ask ?.

Good idea, I am going to use color tape for visibility.
Still it bugs me that manufacturers have moved to micro SD even for large size dash cams.
Once I returned a Point & Shoot camera because it uses mSD. Here is the US you can't take mSD to a Walmart or CVS Pharmacy to get prints.

Thanks for a very good list. I'll look into the DOD

True most cams should have room for regular SD Cards, and i see no reason for using micro SD unless we are talking mobius and simmilar sized recorders.

Any camera would get much larger if they used full sized SD cards, the PC boards would end up much bigger

Black color micro on dark carpet does not help neither...finding it was a treasure hunt sometime.
I think putting the unit inside a plastic bag is better.

As a guy who has been around computers for a very long time it seems kind of miraculous that we can have such massive fast memory storage in such a tiny package at such cheap prices. I marvel at the fact that you can get 128GB micro cards now . I remember spending many hundreds of dollars on a huge hard drive that held 300 MB...and that was a good price back then! (1994).

All the microSD cards I own came with an SD adapter and most of the time I only use one of those. These plastic storage cases that came with the cards and adapters are pretty handy for safely storing the micro cards in a secure, less easy to lose package and so I always keep at least two empty ones in my vehicle and the rest near my computer. If the microSD cards are not installed in a camera, they're in one of the plastic cases. Before that I would often spend way too much time searching all over my desk for the little buggers and usually they were right in front of my nose on the big black desk pad under my keyboard.

Last edited:
Any camera would get much larger if they used full sized SD cards, the PC boards would end up much bigger

... really... how much bigger ?.... we are not talking about Mobius or mini 801 size here. The topic here is "Why large dash cam manufacturers with room to spare for full size SD choose micro SD instead". Is it cost.. availability of mSD because of cell phones or industry secret: SD is being phased out ?.
I have yet to see a laptop with mSD slot.
May be you as a manufacturer can shed a light here.

Any camera with a micro SD card is using it because of physical size limitations, the PCB layout is much larger if using a full size card

Blaming manufacturers for you own clumsiness is hardly fair. ROFL

I have 3 dashcams, a digital camera a phone and a netbook that all use micro cards.

Wouldn't have anything else Have dropped one in the car and yes its a bit hard to find.
Would be a disaster if it went down a heater vent I guess.
Rarely take mine out of the dashcam so not a bother

Blaming manufacturers for you own clumsiness is hardly fair. ROFL

I have 3 dashcams, a digital camera a phone and a netbook that all use micro cards.

Wouldn't have anything else Have dropped one in the car and yes its a bit hard to find.
Would be a disaster if it went down a heater vent I guess.
Rarely take mine out of the dashcam so not a bother

Please read the initial post - no where I blame the manufacturers; neither do any other responders.
It is a question why manufacturers choose mSD over SD even for some large size dash cams lately.
As far as mSD becoming a projectile, it is a well known fact - not a dash cam mfg's fault. Even you admitted to that fact.
I blame it on mSD design committee. If I were on the redesign committee, I would put an "L" edge that's much thicker than average nail and thus also helps with inserting orientation. (..and falling into the oblivion... see below )
Notice that the full size SD LARGE CAMs listed in the above link are of older design. The trend is towards mSD.
While I am bashing micro SD: do you know that on some key chain cams, it is possible to miss the slot and then you have to disassemble it ?.

I don't like to handle the little b____s either. I know I'd drop it & never find it.

Other then the initial installation however (& when I upgraded from 16 to 32GB), I never touch them. If I want to view the vids, I remove my DCs from their mount, (by pressing one tab), take it to the puter & plug it in to a USB port.

If I drop the DC on the carpet, I'll find it. If dropped on the stone tile floor...well, I'd rather not find out.

I've been keeping a full sized adapter in my center console just for Micro Transportation.

Back