I think I screwed up

Do the h2testw thing no matter how long it takes- it's the only way to be sure there's not a bad sector hiding deep into testing time and causing the directory to go awry. Or just trash the card and start with a new one. With my low-spec computer stuff I just run the testing while I sleep- no point in waiting hours on end :whistle:

Phil

Do the h2testw thing no matter how long it takes- it's the only way to be sure there's not a bad sector hiding deep into testing time and causing the directory to go awry. Or just trash the card and start with a new one. With my low-spec computer stuff I just run the testing while I sleep- no point in waiting hours on end :whistle:

Phil

Plus if its a fake or a bad card, not like he has to monitor the test from start to finish. Card has no use as it is anyway, so time is relative her since it's out of commission until he figures out whats up.

It remembered the day before's trip, forgot yesterday's trip, and recorded when I was messing with the power today.
I'm going to run that test tonight.
Have to see what the going prices on 256gb sds are. I went for cheapest, which could've been a mistake.

I paid 40 USD for my new kingstom canvas plus 256 Gb card, thats cheaper than what i paid for a 64GB U3 card 3-4 years ago :cool:

Looking for cheap are okay, but from reputable sellers.

Not looking good, I'd say.
And it's still got 130gig to go to verify.
Opinions?

Warning: Only 255964 of 255965 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.5 GByte OK (61959479 sectors)
92.7 GByte DATA LOST (194499273 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
92.7 GByte corrupted (194499273 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000762da6e00
Expected: 0x0000000762da6e00
Found: 0xca7bb2a600853756
H2testw version 1.3

eBay is notorious for fake memory cards. Best to avoid eBay for memory. Your best bet to insure that you receive an authentic name brand card is to buy from Amazon, but ONLY if it says,
"Ships from and Sold by Amazon.com" on the sales page under the BUY NOW button.

ships_from.jpg

The Samsung EVO Select (identical to Samsung EVO Plus but sold exclusively by Amazon) is an excellent choice for cameras like the V3.

Last edited:
It's not China - it's the bad guys in China.

That's so true. With a few exceptions, I've had mostly positive experiences over the years dealing with businesses in China. I've even established a few friendly relationships with some vendors. For the most part people in China are just like people everywhere else; they are trying to make a living and offer decent products and services. This is not to say there isn't a lot of fraud and corruption, but over time, as the Chinese approach to capitalism has evolved I've noticed that the situation has improved and continues to do so. Some of this has to do with increased governmental regulation and enforcement and some of it has to do with ongoing interaction with western capitalism and the realization that being a bad actor is not a good long term business strategy in the modern global economy. Still, bad actors are everywhere and it pays to be cautious and vigilant.

Not looking good, I'd say.
And it's still got 130gig to go to verify.
Opinions?

Warning: Only 255964 of 255965 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.5 GByte OK (61959479 sectors)
92.7 GByte DATA LOST (194499273 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
92.7 GByte corrupted (194499273 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x0000000762da6e00
Expected: 0x0000000762da6e00
Found: 0xca7bb2a600853756
H2testw version 1.3

Buy memory cards direct from manufacturer or from a reputable retail store. Lots of fakes on Amazon and elsewhere. They trick these fakes to show more storage than actually exist and then use low quality parts. Not worth the trouble.

Explains the failures you experienced.

That's so true. With a few exceptions, I've had mostly positive experiences over the years dealing with businesses in China. I've even established a few friendly relationships with some vendors. For the most part people in China are just like people everywhere else; they are trying to make a living and offer decent products and services. This is not to say there isn't a lot of fraud and corruption, but over time, as the Chinese approach to capitalism has evolved I've noticed that the situation has improved and continues to do so. Some of this has to do with increased governmental regulation and enforcement and some of it has to do with ongoing interaction with western capitalism and the realization that being a bad actor is not a good long term business strategy in the modern global economy. Still, bad actors are everywhere and it pays to be cautious and vigilant.
it's a numbers game unfortunately, Jack Ma was quoted as saying they had 1% bad sellers on Alibaba that there were constantly trying to weed out of the system, 1% doesn't sound like a lot but when you have 500 million sellers on a platform that means there 5 million bad guys, due diligence on any type of purchase is always a good thing, if it sounds too good to be true .......

it's a numbers game unfortunately, Jack Ma was quoted as saying they had 1% bad sellers on Alibaba that there were constantly trying to weed out of the system, 1% doesn't sound like a lot but when you have 500 million sellers on a platform that means there 5 million bad guys, due diligence on any type of purchase is always a good thing, if it sounds too good to be true .......

Some things are best purchased from a reputable place. I still am a firm believer there are too many memory card fakes online to risk buying from anyone other than a retail store or manufacturer.

Some things are best purchased from a reputable place. I still am a firm believer there are too many memory card fakes online to risk buying from anyone other than a retail store or manufacturer.
I would never buy a memory card off Aliexpress, even places like Amazon and eBay are risky unless you're buying from a manufacturers own store as some of them do

Actually pretty common. Most card buyers use them in phones for pics which don't take much card space, so they can give them a 32GB card instead of a 128GB card and the buyer may never discover the scam :cautious:

Phil

Back