I wanted to love it... I really did.

ThatGuyFromArizona

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW 4K Dash Cam & Nextbase Rear Window Camera
My first Nextbase 522gw got so hot I couldn't hold it in my bare hands. I took it back to BestBuy where I purchased it earlier in the week. They had to put it into a box of sand to cool it down.

BestBuy replaced the camera, no questions asked. The second camera seemed to work ok for a while, even though it did not get as hot as the first camera it still ran a lot warmer than it should IMHO. Soon it started cycling.

I contacted Nextbase support, they suggested I purchase a new SD card and included a few recommended cards. I bought what they recommended; the problem persisted. Out of frustration I finally gave in and put it out of my mind, leaving the camera in place as a decoration I suppose.

Recently I have taken a part-time food delivery gig and felt it is essential to have a reliable dash camera, so I started to investigate the cycling issue. In doing so, I also found out the battery does not hold a charge…. Yes, I followed all the recommended battery test procedures.

I emailed Nextbase. The first item of their response they asked me to provide proof I purchased a camera.

They tell me they do not ship batteries to North America. The battery is hard-wired to the board, which I immediately removed from the board.

I put the camera back together, (minus the battery) and took it for a test run, Interestingly, the camera does not get warm at all but continued to cycle. My personal opinion is that Nextbase has a battery issue, whether it be a bad design, mismatch, or bad batch I do not know.

Incidentally, my battery is a three-wired unit. PL 353040H 3 wire.jpgAnything I find either by searches or part numbers are all two wires. Do a search.

I went to look at the new Nextbase 622gw camera because when I bought the first camera I also purchased the direct wire kit and rear-facing camera options and I am concerned with compatibility issues. The salesperson tells me they get many complaints about Nextbase cameras running hot.

You may know that Nextbase products are among the most expensive out there. It looks like I am going to have to write the system off as a bad experience.

In closing, Nextbase claims to be the best dashcam in the world. The top 10 dash cameras for 2023 according to buyersguide.org Nextbase aren't even listed.
I am disappointed with Nextbase.

Attachments

• PXL_20230220_170628412-2.jpg
    PXL_20230220_170628412-2.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 13
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I am sorry to hear that you've had some issues with your 522GW.

All of our cameras are tested between -20'C (-4F) to +45'C (113'F), although if the car temperature exceeds this you could potentially experience issues. We'd recommend removing the Dash Cam and placing in the glove compartment when the Dash Cam is not in use to prevent it being unnecessarily heated on the windscreen. When storing the Dash Cam for an extended time period, store within the following temperature range: from 0° to 25°C (from 32° to 77°F).
Under the mount is a heat sync, so this is the part of the camera that will get hottest. It's nothing to worry about, they're designed to cope with the heat they produce.

We always ask for proof of purchase so that we can ascertain the date of purchase. If your dashcam is within the warranty period (1 year), please let us know and we'll get the battery replaced for you. Unfortunately we are currently unable to offer this service outside of the warranty, however we are looking into opening this up to OOW devices.

Kind regards,
Millie
Nextbase Technical Support

Okay, gang.... Here is what I have decided to do. Because I really do love the Nextbase design and camera in general despite all its flaws (IMHO), and I don't want to have to purchase new accessories for a different brand cam, I found a ripper deal on Amazon, as crazy as it sounds off the Nextbase store, VERY reasonably priced for the 622gw, (better hurry, they only have 15 left) I also opted for the 3-year replacement plan which I intend to use. eh hem Millie :) Better get it quick if you want one.

When you say accessories I'm assuming you mean the hardwire kit ?

I'm still running my Nextbase hardwire kit but plugged into another brand, and, it's been running flawlessly for almost 4 years now.

When you say accessories I'm assuming you mean the hardwire kit ?

I'm still running my Nextbase hardwire kit but plugged into another brand, and, it's been running flawlessly for almost 4 years now.
and my Nextbase rear camera... Good to know regarding the hardware kit, thanks for sharing!

I would be very reluctant to order anything from a vendor on Amazon that has only two ratings. Please let us know how it turns out when you receive your cam and get it installed.
Well, we shall see... If you click the link within my post in this thread, it is the Nextbase store and they had about 460 ratings, a 4-star average. I looked the item description over carefully and it does say it is new.

BTW, my biggest complaint with my current camera has been the battery runs extremely hot and now it has failed. I notice you are running a cam I like a lot and possibly my next camera if this one doesn't work out, Your camera runs a supercapacitor. Do you notice any temperature issues? how long does it last unplugged?

Last edited:
Hey gang, I have been gone a while. Had to push through a couple of tragic lifes black clouds. Anywho I did go ahead and buy the new 622gw and working with Millie of Nextbase Support she graciously arranged to send me a Nextbase SD card. I am pleased to announce since installing the card per Nextbase instructions I have had zero problems with my drive cam. I am convinced, if you run a Nextbase drive camera it makes sense to run their SD card.
I am very pleased and want to thank Nextbase and especially Millie for her expertise and kindness.

Nice to hear Arizona, stay safe out there.

Back