Infa red/light

Gazza1591

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Got the G1W working in car today, but in way home tonight the big white light next to lens was on, but in my settings I don't have an option to turn the infa red on or off, but in videos I have seen they do? Is it because I'm running an older firmware version mine is 20140913-01 if this is the case how do I update it to get latest version?

Just to add my came in a orange box, but the writing on it says HD black box can't find any model number on box or cam, it does have a HD cable port in it?

the setting might not be labeled correctly, sometimes these can be buried in the photo menu rather than video or toggled on and off while running so you might need to do a bit of trial and error to work it out

If for some unexpected reason you simply can't find a way to turn off the LED it is not very difficult to open the case of the camera and cut the wires going to the light. Cutting these wires will not effect the functioning of the camera in any way.

See this LINK for photographic instructions on how to open the case easily.

Last edited:
from memory on some of these from standby you press mode to get into photo mode, then press menu and there's the photo settings menu and there should be an on/off setting for the light in that menu somewhere, not exactly intuitive but should be there somewhere

Hi all

I have gone through every menu I can find and also turned most things on and off and none will turn the light off. Also tried it hooked into the car and plugged into the wall but still no joy.

It's not just a case of updating the firmware then? To get more menus?

there may be another firmware where you can do that, if it's otherwise working well you could just as easily cut the wires to the light as suggested

Will updating the firmware harm the cam? Been looking around here and they all say do it at your own risk?

can work fine, there are multiple versions of these though and the hardware has some variations so there will always be some risk involved, as I said if it otherwise worked fine I'd be inclined to leave the firmware and just disconnect the light instead

OK cheers looks like it will have to be too a part then and wire cut.

Well, that's a first! I've never seen one of these camera's firmwares, including the alternative ones, that didn't have the IR Led function in the menu!

Been looking and playing again and nothing in there to turn it on or off

I've got a couple of cheap other cams and I think the I/R turns on and off by having the cam recording and then pressing one of the buttons and I think it's different on each cam, could be worth a try before pulling it apart.
When it's on there's a small icon lights up too, so you can see when it's on or off.
I only found it by randomly pressing buttons at different times :confused:

Bellow are images of the standard G1W menus. The setting option for the IR LED "should" appear as indicated in this particular location in the "Tool" section of the menu.

To access the "Tool" level of the menu be sure to press the menu button twice. In other words, after you see the the first menu page with the "film clapper" icon, then press the menu button a second time.

G1W-menu.jpg

Last edited:
I have all the menus apart from the WDR and the IR Led one?

Back