Innovv C3 with Remote Lens. With exchangable Wide and Narrow FOV lens

One can only hope Innovv is brave enuff to venture into a new design with upcomming products, the recording unit itself can easy be 2 X as large and still function well as action / dash camera.
I would love to see a model with 2 cameras on wires, but i would like to see that with more potent chipset and cmos combination, regular USB plug, maybe mini USB if space is at a premium, 8 x 12 x 2 cm size should be fine for the main unit, and using full sized SD card.

60 FPS on each camera would be optimal at least for action cam use, i have never felt 30 fps is enuff for fast action.
And i fell 8 x 12 x 2 cm is still small enuff to fit into a pocket, or to be strapped onto any kind of personal transportation devise.
It might allso be large enuff to fit a good size battery for the ppl with long recording needs ( hikers and the like )

Plugs on camera wire might have to be secured in some way to main unit for action use, otherwise i fear the hdmi or simmilar will wiggle loose under stress.

Last edited:
Amazing, I've managed to get online again! This will only last 5-15 minutes. My ISP is on strike so there is almost no tech support and everything is totally beeped up.

So kamkar, I was referring to the cable, not the install, which would be unique to the vehicle itself but thanks.

Anyway, thanks CYL! I was wondering about the possibility of an HDMI extension. There seems to have been some confusion about whether that would work, at least for me, based a little bit on a comment Techmoan Matt made in his review of the C3. This is great news as it opens up a whole lot of new possibilities! Very cool! I've been thinking about installing the lens in the front grill of my Toyota pick-up which would be similar to your install but higher off the pavement. It will be interesting to see if headlights look any better from a slightly higher angle.

There seems to have been some confusion about whether that would work
There are some flashes of magenta for like a frame from time to time. I think it is because I did not securely tape the cables together. Other then that I really like it.

10ge07c.png

It did this for a single frame or two in some of the clips that I watched. Again keeping in mind I am running around 10 feet of cable that I remember taping to the fender, but I can't remember if I wrapped the ends together, Plus it taking bumps too.

Last edited:
yeah i bit of electrical tape on the connection on the mini hdmi would not hurt im sure.

In my little suzuki i can allmost make do with the original bit of cable on the camera, but then again the top of my windscreen is just 1 M or so further back than my bumper, so i might as well just use the normal install location.

I can not deside on where in my car to try it out first, rear camera, or front, or side camers though i think that might be stupid with the narrow 90 deg lens.

i think that might be stupid with the narrow 90 deg lens.
I was a little unsure at first, but I figure this is all I have so might as well use it. I'm impressed so far I am used to the wide stuff so it is a nice change. Although I am curious to see if the wider view will effect the Bug-Eye headlight look.

I was a little unsure at first, but I figure this is all I have so might as well use it. I'm impressed so far I am used to the wide stuff so it is a nice change. Although I am curious to see if the wider view will effect the Bug-Eye headlight look.
It propably won't affect. That bug-eye look is from the lights beaming right into the camera, but since the lights are usually calibrated only to show up to about the hood level, you won't see that when you mount the camera near your roof. Then again, having a wider field of view might make the overloading from bright light source a bit less so your bug-eyes will look smaller.

Okay so taped it up this time.
Still have the one frame of magenta issue. I thought it might have been from hitting bumps, but it even happens while parked up.

15ydnwy.jpg

14wwsb9.jpg

hv8cvr.jpg

Coming out of a drive way ended up hitting the end bump the wrong way and the dual lock tape separated from where it would click together. Had to tape it back up, but that was the only time with issue.
The lens stays on the bumper fine at highway speed+. (60MPH/96km/h)

2znzjgw.jpg

24357r9.jpg

1zz721l.jpg

Last edited:
I still havent seen any magenta frames here, and i have been recording and reviewing a bit of footage today 3/4 of a 32 Gb card.
Offcourse i havent reviewed every second of all those houres of footage, but so far i am non magenta here.

I might have been a little too quick deeming myself magenta free :confused:
The video i am currently uploading to youtube have a "M-flash" within the first seconds.

magenta_c3_big_thumb.jpg

You might need a hdmi line signal booster.....
a question...
is there a reason to have lens bullet underneath than inside the car?

Yeah. i would not dare to plug the C3 into my flat screen tv.

I doubt the lens on its wire will do harm, but if pluggin the main unit into the tv i fear the blue smoke of death.

a question...
is there a reason to have lens bullet underneath than inside the car?
So you are going to be that guy huh? Nah i'm just giving you a hard time. No real reason. It's just fun to get a new perspective. I have DashCams that attach to my windscreen so I wanted to try something different. The camera is water proof and it can be done so we did it. Plus I wanted to demonstrate the possibility to people who are looking to get such a low shot that go AutoCrossing or Drifting. it adds a little more excitement to film so close to the ground while you are going sideways.

I would also like to see what it looks like this close to the ground when it starts snowing.

The video i am currently uploading to youtube have a "M-flash" within the first seconds.
and you are not using any kind of extension cable correct?

Last edited:
correct just the C3 powered by a USB power bank, using the head mount and the rest in a pocket in my jacket.

easy to see though youtube is not done transmorfing my file so its ready in HD formats.

correct just the C3 powered by a USB power bank, using the head mount and the rest in a pocket in my jacket.
Hm this might be something for RockThinking to look into

I'm also wondering if if it is possible to add WDR setting in the firmware since this uses the same chip as the G1W, and if so would that effect the bug eyed headlight look?

Last edited by a moderator:
The C3 sample I have seems to have an issue with a magenta flash for one or two frames every 20 or 30 seconds or so. Mine does this with no lens extension cable. Notice in these screen shots that the time stamp is the same. The frames before and after the magenta frame(s) are normal within the same 41 second (16:58:03) mark. The good thing is that once this issue gets resolved using a lens cable extension is likely to work properly.

purple.png

normal.png

(Damn! Lost my connection three times (make that four) trying to post this.)

Back