Installing a CF-100 in a 2008 Toyota Sienna van

What reflector? They're all white/clear on my 08.
The four along the sides at the top have them & the two map lights. I popped one partially off and was able to get bulb in but the next one I guess the hole in the reflector bent a little and I wasted two wedge led's trying to get in the socket. I'll find a handle roughly the size of the hole and straighten it ou then push the bulb in.. lol, can't screw any more up. It's hard for me because I'm in a wheelchair and my hands are a little numb.
reflector.jpg

oh I see... i've only ever done the overhead lights by removing the entire console. the front is held on by 2 torx screws in the little convex mirror area and 2 snaps at front. the other 4 are held in with the same size torx under a little plastic cover (snaps off with pick or small flathead) and a big t-30 torx that also holds the grab handle. i always use a ratchet and socket to get that one since its pretty tight. also since the 4 main dome lights have vents in them, it's sometimes a little tricky to get them back in.

cargo, front doors and slider door frames are cake since the whole light assy comes out really easy.

I used to be a Toyota mechanic so I don't hesitate to take stuff apart ;)

oh I see... i've only ever done the overhead lights by removing the entire console. the front is held on by 2 torx screws in the little convex mirror area and 2 snaps at front. the other 4 are held in with the same size torx under a little plastic cover (snaps off with pick or small flathead) and a big t-30 torx that also holds the grab handle. i always use a ratchet and socket to get that one since its pretty tight. also since the 4 main dome lights have vents in them, it's sometimes a little tricky to get them back in.

cargo, front doors and slider door frames are cake since the whole light assy comes out really easy.

Got them all in. Was short two of the festoon type and called the seller and he sent asap, nice guy. Wow, it really gives the interior a facelift with the brightness instead of the muddy color from the other bulbs, makes a big difference. I worked mechanical/electrical too, was a jet engine mechanic when I was in my early twenties and then built big weapon systems for the Navy, loved doing that stuff.

Gibson99 in your extensive activities re the CF-100, have you ever come-across a better mount method for it? Seems a major drawback as it is:

1. No suction mount to be able to move it from vehicle to vehicle

2. Tricky to align without a display, then keep in position after e.g. pressing buttons on it

Thanks for any comments.

I'm probably going to make a more permanent/fixed mount as I put it in our new used Highlander hybrid. I think I mentioned it in another thread but basically I plan to take off the ball mount and replace it with a metal bracket.

Button presses aren't an issue. I sort of pinch it with my index finger in front just below the lens and my thumb on the emergency button, then it doesn't move.

Appreciate your reply, though you must have a steady hand, and/or be on smooth roads, to be able to "pinch" w/o moving the thing.

:)

most of our roads are pretty smooth. but it also doesn't take a lot of effort to press the button - it's a pretty light press. it also helps that because of the steep angle of the windshield, the proper aim of this camera is pulled almost all the way back, so if we do bump it forward, it's easy to just grab the bottom edge and pull it back, and it'll be "close enough for government work." ;)

most of our roads are pretty smooth. but it also doesn't take a lot of effort to press the button - it's a pretty light press. it also helps that because of the steep angle of the windshield, the proper aim of this camera is pulled almost all the way back, so if we do bump it forward, it's easy to just grab the bottom edge and pull it back, and it'll be "close enough for government work." ;)
Glad to know it. Many thanks. :)

Hey @Gibson99, I got my Lukas 7950 installed and have a couple questions I was hoping you could shed some light:

Asked the installer to route power cable behind the airbag in the front side, he said he would. I didn't have a chance to see him actually do that, is there an easy way to check if he did?

I don't know if I actually have airbags on the sides in the back, he said he would not be able to route behind, said he would run cable along the side... don't know if I'm getting screwed here or not. Are there signs or symbols that say airbags on the sides in the back? Did you have them and if so how did you route paste them? Help
Thanks

only way to check is to pull trim. the A pillar has a 10mm bolt under the airbag logo cover plate.

and yes ALL 04-10 siennas have standard 3 row side curtain airbags, no matter if it's a base CE or loaded Limited. the logos are on the B and C pillar trim at the top, just like the A pillar.

only way to check is to pull trim. the A pillar has a 10mm bolt under the airbag logo cover plate.

and yes ALL 04-10 siennas have standard 3 row side curtain airbags, no matter if it's a base CE or loaded Limited. the logos are on the B and C pillar trim at the top, just like the A pillar.
Ok, so how did you route you cable past those side curtain airbags?

Ok, so how did you route you cable past those side curtain airbags?
i showed a picutre of how i routed it under the airbag in the A pillar. then i pulled down the weatherstrip so i could tuck it up between the roof and airbag. i also had to remove the B pillar trim (upper and lower) as well as the giant piece around the left rear glass in order to route the cable properly there, out of the way of the airbags and the motor for the rear power door.

sounds like a lot, and i guess it kind of is, but when it comes to safety, you CANNOT compromise. originally i wanted to run the cable down the A-pillar and then across the lower door trim, so i wouldn't have to avoid the airbags, but the cable wasn't long enough, and I didn't feel like dealing with an extension. it helps that i probably installed at least 50 DVD players into this body style sienna when i worked at toyota as a make-ready mechanic, so taking all that apart was something i already knew how to do.

and now that we've sold the sienna and bought a highlander hybrid, i'll be doing a similar writeup with photos for that install. i plan on making a new mount for the front that eliminates the ball joint mount. yes, it makes it so that the camera won't be easily removable (right now you can unscrew the nut and then snap the ball out of the socket to remove it), but i'm ok with that since it'll make it stay aimed properly, and hopefully make it less likely to get covered up by the sunshade.

i showed a picutre of how i routed it under the airbag in the A pillar. then i pulled down the weatherstrip so i could tuck it up between the roof and airbag. i also had to remove the B pillar trim (upper and lower) as well as the giant piece around the left rear glass in order to route the cable properly there, out of the way of the airbags and the motor for the rear power door.

sounds like a lot, and i guess it kind of is, but when it comes to safety, you CANNOT compromise. originally i wanted to run the cable down the A-pillar and then across the lower door trim, so i wouldn't have to avoid the airbags, but the cable wasn't long enough, and I didn't feel like dealing with an extension. it helps that i probably installed at least 50 DVD players into this body style sienna when i worked at toyota as a make-ready mechanic, so taking all that apart was something i already knew how to do.

and now that we've sold the sienna and bought a highlander hybrid, i'll be doing a similar writeup with photos for that install. i plan on making a new mount for the front that eliminates the ball joint mount. yes, it makes it so that the camera won't be easily removable (right now you can unscrew the nut and then snap the ball out of the socket to remove it), but i'm ok with that since it'll make it stay aimed properly, and hopefully make it less likely to get covered up by the sunshade.
Thanks for taking the time to reply on this. I told them to run down behind the A Pillar as per you great illustration. Then we got into getting the cable to the back. I mentioned the back side airbags wanting to get the cable behind/above and he freaked out and said he wouldn't do that because it's too dangerous to try. To get by he pulled out the molding and ran the cable right next to the molding. Don't know if that is ok, don't even know where those air bags are in that area. Anyway ran back and through one of the black tubes like you showed before. It all looks clean, just that I was inside talking to the salesman about something else when he ran most of the cable. If it is easy to pull that A pillar I will just to check that he did as I asked. As far as sliding by the rear side airbags I just don't know... I pulled out a little molding and the cable was right there. What do you think?

Sounds like you have a a challenging project with your new car, good luck!

if it's close to the rubber flap from the weatherstrip, which covers the edge of the headliner, it's probably ok. if you pull the strip down off the body, stick your finger into the gap between the roof and the headliner and gently pull down, you'll see the white airbag material all rolled up. it looks the same as it does in the A pillar, the whole length of the van. it's actually all one piece. the metal tube you see at the base of the A pillar is the igniter/gas generator that fills the airbag.

if they routed it under the a-pillar airbag like i showed in the picture.. well, that's the most important place to properly route it, so you are probably fine. if the wire is simply tucked into the weatherstrip along the side, the airbag ought to push it out of the way when it goes off. ideally it should be secured in those black plastic conduits, since that's waht they're for - keeping wires away from the airbags.

if it's close to the rubber flap from the weatherstrip, which covers the edge of the headliner, it's probably ok. if you pull the strip down off the body, stick your finger into the gap between the roof and the headliner and gently pull down, you'll see the white airbag material all rolled up. it looks the same as it does in the A pillar, the whole length of the van. it's actually all one piece. the metal tube you see at the base of the A pillar is the igniter/gas generator that fills the airbag.

if they routed it under the a-pillar airbag like i showed in the picture.. well, that's the most important place to properly route it, so you are probably fine. if the wire is simply tucked into the weatherstrip along the side, the airbag ought to push it out of the way when it goes off. ideally it should be secured in those black plastic conduits, since that's whatt they're for - keeping wires away from the airbags.
Cool Beans, I'll check out the front A pillar and pull the weatherstrip and get the cable close to it. FYI, the igniter/gas generator is called a squib. They use those in missiles to release the hydraulic fluid under pressure into the missile when it's launched, used to steer, stinks when it goes off. Thanks again.

Cool Beans, I'll check out the front A pillar and pull the weatherstrip and get the cable close to it. FYI, the igniter/gas generator is called a squib. They use those in missiles to release the hydraulic fluid under pressure into the missile when it's launched, used to steer, stinks when it goes off. Thanks again.
My understanding is that yes there's a squib in there but it's similar to a model rocket engine, in that the squib is just the igniter which sets off the actual propellant. It just burns a LOT faster than a rocket engine. :)

Luckily I've never been close to an airbag when it went off so I don't know what it smells like.

My understanding is that yes there's a squib in there but it's similar to a model rocket engine, in that the squib is just the igniter which sets off the actual propellant. It just burns a LOT faster than a rocket engine. :)

Luckily I've never been close to an airbag when it went off so I don't know what it smells like.
I think their similar, they each hold back something under pressure and BAM it gets released. In a missile there is a vessel in the flight control section pressurized with hydraulic fluid. The squib is basically a plug and sets off with a current so you have to be careful with static electricity, been a long time since I worked on missiles... cheers

I had a chance to test out the LK-7950. I'm getting a lot of reflection on the windshield from the dashboard. I have a JBL sound system and there is an insignia and that really stands out. I'm going to get a dash cover and what I come across is the question of with or without a climate sensor. I've looked everywhere and can't even get a picture what that is... do you happen to know? Thanks

I had a chance to test out the LK-7950. I'm getting a lot of reflection on the windshield from the dashboard. I have a JBL sound system and there is an insignia and that really stands out. I'm going to get a dash cover and what I come across is the question of with or without a climate sensor. I've looked everywhere and can't even get a picture what that is... do you happen to know? Thanks
if you have the JBL system you probably also have 3-zone digital AC. i know the climate/temp sensor for the driver side is straight in front of your right knee - it's a set of small slots below the ignition. not sure where the sensor is for the passenger (it might be in the blower, behind the glovebox), but i can't imagine that it would be up on the top of the dash, since the sun would give false temperature readings. and i wouldn't think a dash cover would go so far down as to cover the temp sensor on the driver side.

even without the JBL system, the center grille (which doesn't have a speaker in a non-jbl setup) still gives some reflections in the windshield, as do the wood trim pieces on either side of the radio/ac stack. ask for a picture of the actual cover to make sure it covers the grille before you buy.

worst case you can probably remove the JBL logo. the grille simply snaps in. wedge a flat plastic pry tool in between the front edge (closest to windshield) right in the center, and pry the grille up. be careful, as the speaker is attached to the grille and has a short wire. thankfully the wire easily unclips so you can work with the grille outside the car if you need.

Back