Installing Dashcam to MY24 BMW iX (Hardwiring)

ecstasee

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hi, my Dashcam installer has been installing Dashcams on BMW via the 12V socket only so far. When I requested him to do hardwiring installation, he asked me to find out exactly which fuse to connect to. Whilst I know I could just find another company to do it, it’s hard to find a honest and reliable one.

If you can help, that will be very much appreciated.

I have read thru the forum and know there’s front (next to gas pedal), and back (in the trunk) where there are fuse boxes. I have a preference on the back if possible which provides easy access.

Exactly which fuse should I use for the hardwiring to avoid using a fuse that’s allocated to core functions related to the safety functions?

I will just use that exact fuse for the installation. Thank you so much for your help!

If.. you were happy having your camera only being powered while the radio is available, the radio fuse would be a reasonable pick. Assuming the radio will not turn on without the key or fob in close proximity. You, or your installer would use a piggyback/add a fuse to take a feed from that location.

If.. you were happy having your camera only being powered while the radio is available, the radio fuse would be a reasonable pick. Assuming the radio will not turn on without the key or fob in close proximity. You, or your installer would use a piggyback/add a fuse to take a feed from that location.
Thanks mate! Attaching the fuse diagram, I’m thinking radio should be “Media”? So fuse number F41, F52, or F65? Appreciate your help on this.

Attachments

• FCC_I20_VS2.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
If the radio still plays while the engine is cranking then fine.

If the radio temporarily cuts out until the engine has started, then resumes, then forget that fuse.

Dashcams hate being given power then suddenly lose it then quickly returned.

Try and find a fuse that stays live during cranking so the dashcam stays live.

Back