IR illuminators

DJ70

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900X Plus-2CH, DR900S-2CH.
Idea...??

Recently I've noticed ('cos of where I've been parking) that night time images are often quite dark due to the lack of street lighting. It got me thinking.

There may be dashcams with IR capabilities but my BlackVues don't have it so, relating to home CCTV, I wondered if the addition of an IR illuminator might help.

There are plenty of cheap ones around..eg
imageedit_1.png

Mounted say behind the grill, and obvioulsy some way to operate only when parked, it could possibly help with front cam illumination.

I haven't tried it, maybe it's too crazy, but ... who knows?

Idea...??

Recently I've noticed ('cos of where I've been parking) that night time images are often quite dark due to the lack of street lighting. It got me thinking.

There may be dashcams with IR capabilities but my BlackVues don't have it so, relating to home CCTV, I wondered if the addition of an IR illuminator might help.

There are plenty of cheap ones around..eg
View attachment 68032

Mounted say behind the grill, and obvioulsy some way to operate only when parked, it could possibly help with front cam illumination.

I haven't tried it, maybe it's too crazy, but ... who knows?
Something that @Vortex Radar bought up in one of his YouTube videos I watched the other day. Can't remember exactly which video it was but he had some pretty nifty ideas along the lines of what you have mentioned...

I thought is should work once the details were ironed out. When I get more time I'll look up that video.

Most cameras have a filter to filter out that IR light, so it should make zero difference, unless you are using an IR camera, in which case it would make a huge difference, and also use a fair amount of battery power!

Lack of light is why i have a CCTV camera on my parked car, CUZ while the back yard do have a PIR triggered LED light, even another one too, all they do is to back light anyone approaching my parked car.
Well unless they scale the garages in the back and approach that way, but then i am not sire the PIR sensor trigger to things way back there.

The 1440p PTZ camera i use turn night into day, that be old school black and white day, and it have optical zoom which i use to actually be able to get a identifying shot, and of course to filter out any false motion detect events, CUZ i have that on and while it is also smart Motion detect it can still error, though it is very rare.
I get notifications on motion on my phone ( or that is i use to do that ) and my tablet on my bedside table.

Back