Is DOD LS460W the best video quality camera out at the moment?

Why do you want to catch number plates?

I've have a couple of incidents where the other car has zoomed off from the incident.

I don't think DOD/Nextbase cams are built with long life in mind. Mine didn't last long and with other companies offering a two-year warranty compared to the one year of the DOD/Nextbase, I think that speaks volumes for the level of confidence they have in their equipment.
Personally, from the UK shops, I would choose a Transcend DP100 or DP200, or a Mio 528 or 538 which, although don't have quite the video quality of a DOD460 (NB512G) or its close relative the 430 (NB402G) all come with twice the warranty and out-lasted my NB402G (LS430W).

I suspect over the next couple of years we'll see quite a lot of people with 402G/512G cams who've had accidents but find the cam let them down.

Oh thanks for the help :D. I will have a look at those cameras

Some real-world near misses below:

Here's a clip from my ex-402G at dusk. It's probably one of the best for capturing number plates due to its large lens, but in this dusk clip you'll need some luck just identifying the model of red car, let alone capturing a number plate:

Here's a clip from the Mio 538 in my car from a week ago: me being cut up:

Here's a clip from the Mio 538 in the family car: my wife being cut up

Here's a clip from a Transcend DP100 when it was fitted to the significantly-tinted rear window of my previous car:

The transcend works really well with the tinted rear window, did you have to alter the settings to get that clear picture? How does that perform when it's going darker?

Oh thanks for the help :D. I will have a look at those cameras

If you're prepared to shop online/mail order there are better and/or more reliable cameras.
Also make sure that the design of any cam you like will fit into a position in your car which gets a good view but is also legal.

If cost isn't a concern, and if it will fit your car, I would expect @jokiin's SG9665GC or SGZC12RC would be among the best for capturing plates and being reliable.

The biggest problem with capturing plates is motion blur, especially in lesser light conditions when the camera increases exposure time to compensate for less light entering the lens. But longer exposure time means more movement in that fraction of a second.
The @JooVuu X should offer 1080p60 which, in daylight (but not at night), should help capture the plates of fast-approaching cars (60+60mph).

A couple of screenshot captures below.
The first one showing 720p60 outperforming 1080p30 with 120mph converging speed (60+60mph).
The second one showing 720p60 capturing the writing on the side of a lorry, with my speed being 70mph and the lorry being about 50-55mph, meaning it's travelling at 120-125mph across the cam's field of view.
Third is a night shot showing how far the objects moved during the exposure time of a near-miss (the story behind this one is long and complicated).

-

Last edited:
The transcend works really well with the tinted rear window, did you have to alter the settings to get that clear picture? How does that perform when it's going darker?

Settings are default.
When I first bought the DP100 I trialled it in my front window alongside some other cams to get a feel for it and to check it was working properly.
The DP100 is probably about equal to a Mio 528 or 538 (the Mio 508 and 518 are inferior) and the Nextbase 402G is slightly superior to the aforementioned.

I have another quirky clip from the DP100 on a dull wet day in heavy traffic which I'll upload and post later (will take over an hour).

I too am now a fan of Medium wide (instead of Super wide) makes all the difference for number plates.

I agree.
But for a rear cam, where your own forward motion dramatically slows the rate at which vehicles approach from the rear, a wider-angle cam gets much more time and opportunity to capture details than it would if fitted in the front of the car. I'll see about pulling some night-time town driving footage off the Panorama later.

Consider this:
Travelling at 30mph with oncoming traffic at the same speed, that's a combined 60mph closing speed.
On out-of-town roads 60+60=120mph closing speed is not unusual.
But travelling at 30mph with a speeding vehicle behind approaching at 50mph, the vehicle is only closing at 20mph.
Similarly, travelling at 60mph with a speeding vehicle approaching from behind at 90mph, the vehicle is only closing at 30mph.

So video quality from a cam in the back tends to look better than the same cam in the front.
Probably a useful marketing trick there: '....I didn't have time to do a proper video from the front of the car, but here's some superb video from the other day when it was in the rear - look how clearly it can capture number plates!....'

if you want to catch number plates sharp below is the answer which one has more chance to do this:

A7+OV4689 (Mini 806, Marcus 2/4 DOME G90...) you need to disable HDR mode for avoid situations like below, also due to light level in OV4689 sensor (64,6dB) night time picture is quite darker that e.g IMX322 (about 100dB) or even AR0330 (72.4dB)
[more bB = better picture quality at night time).

3ff0e113554239d6gen.jpg

With Novatek NTK96650 + IMX322 (DOD LS460W/Street-Guardian SG9665GC/Anytek A3) you have more chance specially when you change EV to -1 or even to -2 look below:

fdggclc.jpg

best possibility to chath moving object sharp is the cameras with NTK96650/55 + AR0330 at EV (default = 0) eg G1WG look below:

Last edited:
@Insignia_elite
Here's a three-minute clip from a rear-mounted DP100, a few weeks ago, on a dull rainy day in Dereham, Norfolk.
There are lots of things happening, varied light conditions due to passing under bridges, and lots of cars behind or passing in the opposite direction for you to practice capturing the number plates.
Although higher-spec cams will be better at capturing details, it's a law of diminishing returns.

Uploading for later is a video from my Mio 538. Passing through busy traffic in Diss, Norfolk, with lots of dark/light contrast due to autumn sun and shadows which cams don't like due to having to continually make major adjustments to their exposure. But these are real world conditions rather than the most flattering video showing the best that is attainable.

I see Halfords have dropped the 512G to £152.15 and the 402G to £126.65. Amazon are a bit cheaper.
'Black Friday' sale preparations I guess.
I have seen the 402G as low as £115-119 during sale events.

Random clip at dusk from my ex-402G (clock is an hour slow because I always leave mine on GMT) - I kept this one because my car had a sensor fault (you might hear the error beeps at 2:00). There were very few cars about so I wasn't hurrying (and I wasn't holding anyone up).
This shows how even the 402G with its big f1.6 lens struggles at dusk to capture oncoming number plates, especially at speed.
Second video is the Diss footage from the Mio 538.

I don't think DOD/Nextbase cams are built with long life in mind. Mine didn't last long and with other companies offering a two-year warranty compared to the one year of the DOD/Nextbase, I think that speaks volumes for the level of confidence they have in their equipment.
Personally, from the UK shops, I would choose a Transcend DP100 or DP200, or a Mio 528 or 538 which, although don't have quite the video quality of a DOD460 (NB512G) or its close relative the 430 (NB402G) all come with twice the warranty and out-lasted my NB402G (LS430W).

I suspect over the next couple of years we'll see quite a lot of people with 402G/512G cams who've had accidents but find the cam let them down.

In Israel you get 2 years warranty on DOD products.
I have the LS460W for more than a year now, and the camera is still working like on the first day that i received her.
The LS460W have better video quality than other cameras, especially in poor lighting conditions.
I compared my LS460W to my A118C 1920X1080P and G90-7S 2560X1080P and the DOD LS460W won every time.

I have very good experience with their products, very reliable and well-built.

You get 2yr warranty in UK as well. Well I just have when buying a LS470W+

6b72a57146badc3c723a8985df811f5a.jpg

Back