Is It Common that You Can't Slide Ahead to View Recorded Videos but have to watch the entire recording?

Oneida1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently purchased a Dash Cam got it set up and when I attempted to view a Recording I was hoping to slide the bar Forward to see something that was to be recorded. But after several tries every time the "Media Player" encountered a Problem and Had to Close After just moving the bar in the media player ahead slightly it does this. Is this Common? As the video is 1.5 hours long so having to watch the entire recording is a long wait to see what you are looking for. I was hoping like other videos you cold just more ahead till you got close to that part and watch it.

Looks like I will have to Constantly Unplug and Plug the Dash Cam in to Shorten the length of recordings down to maybe 15 Minutes if you cannot fast forward ahead thru long recordings to view them...

Or did I get a Bad Dash Cam?

Oneida1

You will probably need to download the recording to your phone or computer to fast forward. If you're doing it from the camera, it will have to buffer to that spot. This may cause the problem you're having.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks but I Download Thousand of game camera videos and It has never been an issue and I have even waited for the the dash cam Video to catch up, similar to Utube Videos and Never had it Stop Working. Appears you also Need Special Software just to view Dash Cam Videos which should Not be the reason but again technology seems never to be Completely Compatible looks like one needs a Special Video Player..
So Much for using a Dash Cam...

Guess I can just hope it saves me when someone crashes into me! No more watching these videos when I don't have that much time watching long recordings better things to get done.

Thought it would be SIMPLE & Easy guess I was mislead as never seen any mention this.
Oneida1

What are you trying to view footage on? the cam itself or windows media player?

And what cam is it? What file format is it recording video in?

Windows Media Player on a Laptop

Oneida1

Sometimes Win Media Player just doesn't work well with some dashcam files- I cannot say why. The easiest "fix" is to use a better player such as VLC player or Registrator viewer. These are freeware and usually work better with dashcams.

Phil

Agreed with @SawMaster, Vlc works with most media files unlike Windows media player. I read some where that Windows media player and the native on Macs does remain current. Sometime ago I noticed Media player was only playing the front channel on my two channel system whereas of VLC displayed both.

Back