Is it just me or does other peoples driving get worse when you have a dashcam?

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
Seriously, since I've had dashcams I've seen people the wrong way on motorways, reversing up sliproads, near head on collisions, trying to drive into me or someone else and allsorts of other silly stuff - I'd swear I didn't see so much dodgy driving on the roads until I had cams fitted!

Fair enough the reason I bought one was because someone nearly ran us off the road but I'd swear I've never seen so many close calls as since I had these things.

Maybe it's a placebo effect where I'm noticing stuff more now, but I've never had so many close calls in terms of head ons as this last few weeks. It's nuts!

I can say my driving has gotten better :D
And my windshield seem to be a lot cleaner

Oh and I never realized how awful I sing. Have to get a camera with a better mic :p

I can say my driving has gotten better :D
And my windshield seem to be a lot cleaner

Oh and I never realized how awful I sing. Have to get a camera with a better mic :p
I certainly think you become more conscious of your own driving when there's a camera recording

In a good way though - I've slowed down anyway as I've gotten older, if these things were around when I was 20 I'd be all over YouTube.

I also burp and fart loads too as well as swearing and talking to myself - didn't quite realise how bad until I've watched a few raw clips back!!

well all you hear from my recordings is me swearing my head off or my horn all the time at red lights as i approach, people making me slow down, people doing stupid things, slow moving traffic, old farts waiting to turn a corner for a big enough gap to drive a triple B double into before they move out, old farts taking off from the lights soo damn slow like they are driving a 400 tonne B Double the lights start to turn red before they reach the other side etc....

I think we all tend to become inured to much of the crazy stuff that we've always encountered out there on the roads every day and that dash cams somehow make us more likely to take note of and remember these things. It's always been the BIG crazy events that stay with us, with or without the cameras. People's driving hasn't gotten worse, it's just a change in perception.

I've also noticed that we have a few members here at DCT who like to post indignant holier-than-thou videos of people doing the most mundane innocent infractions that I'm sure all of us have been guilty of from time to time and I think this is related to a degree to the kind of thing that Reverend is talking about. It is as if some of the posters are somehow above it all and beyond reproach now that they have a camera on the windshield. Of course some events are certainly worse than others but I wonder what all the fuss is about over many of these things as I see them happening every day out on the road as they always have. It is basically business as usual and nothing has changed just because I have dash cams to capture them. Of course, we have members like @sludgeguts and others who have posted some real classics and this is the reason we all have dash cams.

Last edited:
I think I've become more aware of the crazy stuff others are doing. I've started a video collection of stupid drivers. Maybe in December or January I'll edit it into a nice video.

I think we all tend to become inured to much of the crazy stuff that we've always encountered out there on the roads every day and that dash cams somehow make us more likely to take note of and remember these things. It's always been the BIG crazy events that stay with us, with or without the cameras. People's driving hasn't gotten worse, it's just a change in perception.

I've also noticed that we have a few members here at DCT who like to post indignant holier-than-thou videos of people doing the most mundane innocent infractions that I'm sure all of have been guilty of from time to time and I think this is related to a degree to the kind of thing that Reverend is talking about. It is as if some of the posters are somehow above it all and beyond reproach now that they have a camera on the windshield. Of course some events are certainly worse than others but I wonder what all the fuss is about over many of these things as I see them happening every day out on the road as they always have. It is basically business as usual and nothing has changed just because I have dash cams to capture them. Of course, we have members like @sludgeguts and others who have posted some real classics and this is the reason we all have dash cams.
This I totally agree with.

I think I've become more aware of the crazy stuff others are doing. I've started a video collection of stupid drivers. Maybe in December or January I'll edit it into a nice video.

That unfortunate incident you were involved in where the mattress came off the truck in front of you is still etched in my brain! I imagine that one may have a prized place in your collection.

well all you hear from my recordings is me swearing my head off or my horn all the time at red lights as i approach, people making me slow down, people doing stupid things, slow moving traffic, old farts waiting to turn a corner for a big enough gap to drive a triple B double into before they move out, old farts taking off from the lights soo damn slow like they are driving a 400 tonne B Double the lights start to turn red before they reach the other side etc....
Its going to happen to you one day.

That unfortunate incident you were involved in where the mattress came off the truck in front of you is still etched in my brain! I imagine that one may have a prized place in your collection.
That will appear in my one year Mobius anniversary video of crazy drivers. :p

We had 3 vehicles and two dashcams for about a year or so. Then one evening I was driving my wife's car, no dashcam, and of course something happens. We were on a freeway's fast lane, and suddenly noticed a car approaching us at a high rate of speed going the wrong way. I immediately changed lanes, as did the car ahead of us. My wife and I pretty much yelled the same thing, "what the F", which led me to conclude that if it resulted in a fatal collision, our last words wouldn't have been any religious incantation at all.

Back