Is it Safe to Mount a Suction Cup

Yawz

Reaction score
Country
United States
on the rear window heating strips? If you turn on the rear window defroster, would the suction cup fall from the heat? The reason I ask is I would like to mount a dash cam on the rear window but it is impossible to mount without covering a couple of the heating strips, any solution?

Last edited by a moderator:
Niko, thanks for your reply, but I am referring about the back windshield in a vehicle:

"Automotive rear window defroster are sophisticated surface heaters. The grid pattern of thin brown horizontal lines are made from a silver ceramic conductor which is silk screened, essentially painted, onto the inside of the rear window and then baked at high temperatures.

These grids are connected to a high amperage circuit to provide rapid heating. The average defroster grid heats to approximately 85°+ F (29° C) and are very effective in clearing rear windows in difficult winter conditions."

Is it safe to use the suction cup mount on those heating grids?

Yes it's safe, if the lines are particularly thick cheap suction mounts may have trouble locking down but there's no safety issue from the heated strip itself

Back