Is there a dash cam that fits my desired spec?

Bendavis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace the current dash cam i have installed. The one i have has a wide angle lens that causes the footage to have a distance disparity (the footage makes everything seem further away than in reality). I'm not a big fan of this, i have done some looking around and from what i can tell at-least 90% of dash cams are wide angel lenses, those that don't state its a wide angel lens also don't state what type of lens it is.

Is there any dash cams out there that do not have a wide angle lens, and therefore the footage captured doesn't have the stated distance disparity?

Welcome :)

The Viofo A119 V3 is one of the narrowest, and around the natural angle, but too narrow and you start to miss things off the sides when while driving you could turn your head to look at them, so most people prefer a bit wider. With a wider angle you can always zoom in a little during playback to give the viewing angle you want, assuming your video player has a suitable zoom function.

Note that in general, claims in the advertising of wide angle or specific angles are often wrong, so never believe them, check up on the camera before choosing.

It might help people to provide recommendations if you said what you currently have and a little about what you are looking for, number of channels etc. and budget.

No wide angle lenses are a must in dashcams, so to get anything else you will have to install a after market lens.
Some of us have also done this to get a "zoom" camera alongside our conventional dashcams, with a distance feel more in line with what you see with your human eyes, but the trade off is a very narrow field of view.

With such a lens when you are rignt on the "ass" of the car in front, it are clearly visible everything that is there.

Last edited:
Welcome :)

The Viofo A119 V3 is one of the narrowest, and around the natural angle, but too narrow and you start to miss things off the sides when while driving you could turn your head to look at them, so most people prefer a bit wider. With a wider angle you can always zoom in a little during playback to give the viewing angle you want, assuming your video player has a suitable zoom function.

Note that in general, claims in the advertising of wide angle or specific angles are often wrong, so never believe them, check up on the camera before choosing.

It might help people to provide recommendations if you said what you currently have and a little about what you are looking for, number of channels etc. and budget.

Hi Nigel,

When it comes to specs of what i am looking for, i just want a cam that can record what goes on in front of my car and the opposite side of the road while also not making a single car distance look like a 18-wheeler could fit in it, if that makes sense. When it comes to other spec i'm not certain what you mean by channels, budget isn't really an issue but i'd prefer to keep the cost below £100. As for what i have ATM, it is "Dash Cam Front and Rear Camera FHD 1080P with Night Vision and SD Card Included, 3 Inch IPS Screen Dash Cam for Cars, 170°Wide Angle Dashboard Camera DVR Motion Detection Parking Monitor G-Sensor HDR" from Amazon.

No wide angle lenses are a must in dashcams, so to get anything else you will have to install a after market lens.
Some of us have also done this to get a "zoom" camera alongside our conventional dashcams, with a distance feel more in line with what you see with your human eyes, but the trade off is a very narrow field of view.

With such a lens when you are rignt on the "ass" of the car in front, it are clearly visible everything that is there.

Hi Kamkar,

In regards to the bottom view of the first video, can i assume that the distance shown between the car (with the cam) and the car in front isn't majorly over or under exaggerated? If so, this is basically what i am looking for. Can i ask what cam, accessories and setup has been used for that view?

Thank you both for the quick responses, much appreciated,

Ben

The 12 mm lens i use might be showing in a tiny bit more than what i would see with my own eyes, but they are also old tired eyes by now.
But in my experiments i have tried ti read plates with my own eyes and call out the plate for the camera to record, and then at home on the PC look at the footage and there i was also able to read the plate.
a 8 mm lens might be more true or maybe it will under perform, but both sizes do feel more natural in distance in the footage.

The lenses are same mount as in action cameras, and cheap CCTV cameras, so it is a 12 mm fine thread, or in CCTV speak S mount i think it is called.
On youtube you will find lots of threads about how to replace lenses on action cameras ASO, it is much the same, the lens are most often secured to the mount with some form of glue, so peel / scratch off what you can, maybe heat up the lens / socket with hair dryer, and then unscrew ( some times pliers can be needed, use something in between it and then lens to increase friction so you dont have to clamp down too hard on the lens )

So you can pretty much just replace the lens in your old camera, and get a new better for the wide perspective, CUZ none of us that have a "zoom" camera in the car would just have that and nothing else.

The camera i used back them was the Joovuu X cam, but it are no longer made and are also old hardware or sensor at least, i am currently using a mobius maxi for the same job, but it too dont have a super sensor, but it is also not garbage for sure.
The advantage with the mobius cameras is their lens are secured with a grub screw, so when it is loosened the lens should screw out with no effort VS the glued in lenses that can be a bit annoying.
The lens are focused by screwing in the lens more or less, and the sweet spot are small so dont secure lens before you are 100% sure the focus are good ( use a mild glue to secure lens not CA glue as its fumes can ruin lens coatings )
Nail polish or something like that should also be fine, maybe even a dab of some paint, just something to fill up the thread so the lens can not slide.
On my current camera i am actually using plumbers tape / teflon tape, to make sure the thread are firm, otherwise 12 mm thread like any can be quite loose and move with mechanical forces like vibrations.

But as i say all dashcams use the same mounting solution, the only problem is if you get a lens that are not meant for use with the size of your sensor size, in that case you can see a little vignetting at the edge of the frame.

Popular places we shop after market lenses are these 2 stores, make sure the lens you select are for megapixel use ( 2 at least ) and have a IR cut filter installed, if the one you fancy dont have it both stores will glue one on for free i think, just need to tell them that is needed in that case.

There are also some variable lenses, some use these too as it can have say 8 - 12 mm and adjustable focus ring, but i prefer the smaller fixed focus lenses.

Many that play airsoft also have a zoom camera on their rifle, but they tend to use much more zoom lenses to they can film what they are shooting, but then its like 40 - 80 mm lenses, way more then what we need as a dashcam user, but the cameras are often the same ( mobius )
Just have to make sure the camera if you go with another one than the one you have are dashcam compatible, meaning they can start and stop recording with power on.

If the camera you swap lens on have wifi it will make it much more easy to set the focus looking at your phone screen VS a tiny screen on the camera, or in the case of mobius no screen at all.
The focus sweet spot are just within a few degrees on the circumfrence of the lens, so take very little to be in focus or off focus.

Here i am filming out of my #2 floor kitchen window at my little red Suzuki that is parked under 20 M away, so IRL no problem reading the plate out the window and also no problem on the camera though here the focus are not super good.

The 12 mm lens i use might be showing in a tiny bit more than what i would see with my own eyes, but they are also old tired eyes by now.
But in my experiments i have tried ti read plates with my own eyes and call out the plate for the camera to record, and then at home on the PC look at the footage and there i was also able to read the plate.
a 8 mm lens might be more true or maybe it will under perform, but both sizes do feel more natural in distance in the footage.

The lenses are same mount as in action cameras, and cheap CCTV cameras, so it is a 12 mm fine thread, or in CCTV speak S mount i think it is called.
On youtube you will find lots of threads about how to replace lenses on action cameras ASO, it is much the same, the lens are most often secured to the mount with some form of glue, so peel / scratch off what you can, maybe heat up the lens / socket with hair dryer, and then unscrew ( some times pliers can be needed, use something in between it and then lens to increase friction so you dont have to clamp down too hard on the lens )

So you can pretty much just replace the lens in your old camera, and get a new better for the wide perspective, CUZ none of us that have a "zoom" camera in the car would just have that and nothing else.

The camera i used back them was the Joovuu X cam, but it are no longer made and are also old hardware or sensor at least, i am currently using a mobius maxi for the same job, but it too dont have a super sensor, but it is also not garbage for sure.
The advantage with the mobius cameras is their lens are secured with a grub screw, so when it is loosened the lens should screw out with no effort VS the glued in lenses that can be a bit annoying.
The lens are focused by screwing in the lens more or less, and the sweet spot are small so dont secure lens before you are 100% sure the focus are good ( use a mild glue to secure lens not CA glue as its fumes can ruin lens coatings )
Nail polish or something like that should also be fine, maybe even a dab of some paint, just something to fill up the thread so the lens can not slide.
On my current camera i am actually using plumbers tape / teflon tape, to make sure the thread are firm, otherwise 12 mm thread like any can be quite loose and move with mechanical forces like vibrations.

But as i say all dashcams use the same mounting solution, the only problem is if you get a lens that are not meant for use with the size of your sensor size, in that case you can see a little vignetting at the edge of the frame.

Popular places we shop after market lenses are these 2 stores, make sure the lens you select are for megapixel use ( 2 at least ) and have a IR cut filter installed, if the one you fancy dont have it both stores will glue one on for free i think, just need to tell them that is needed in that case.

There are also some variable lenses, some use these too as it can have say 8 - 12 mm and adjustable focus ring, but i prefer the smaller fixed focus lenses.

Many that play airsoft also have a zoom camera on their rifle, but they tend to use much more zoom lenses to they can film what they are shooting, but then its like 40 - 80 mm lenses, way more then what we need as a dashcam user, but the cameras are often the same ( mobius )
Just have to make sure the camera if you go with another one than the one you have are dashcam compatible, meaning they can start and stop recording with power on.

If the camera you swap lens on have wifi it will make it much more easy to set the focus looking at your phone screen VS a tiny screen on the camera, or in the case of mobius no screen at all.
The focus sweet spot are just within a few degrees on the circumfrence of the lens, so take very little to be in focus or off focus.

Here i am filming out of my #2 floor kitchen window at my little red Suzuki that is parked under 20 M away, so IRL no problem reading the plate out the window and also no problem on the camera though here the focus are not super good.
Hi KamKar,

Thank you for the lengthly reply, although i'm 100% sure i fully understand it all yet.

Can i clarify that what you are saying is there is no product i can buy and use straight out the box that gives me the view that was in 12mm footage?

Kind regards,
Ben

Can i clarify that what you are saying is there is no product i can buy and use straight out the box that gives me the view that was in 12mm footage?
You don't want a 12mm for normal dashcam use, it will make your driving look terrible with you always following people at a distance of 1 meter or less, always driving too fast, not staying in lane on corners even though you are, and it will miss too much off the sides of the image.

Some dashcams are too wide, if your camera really is 170 degrees then that is too wide for normal use, most dashcams are more like 140 degrees with is a good field of view, some are a bit narrower like 130 degrees, you don't want anything narrower unless you also have a normal dashcam.

Thats correct, all dashcams use a wide angle lens ( most often around 130 degrees horizontal ) some do give misleading diagonal or down right false even larger FOV ( Field Of View )
Most narrow ones are maybe down between 110 and 120 degree, but those still have the same issue.

The very first mobius model with what was called the "A" lens had a 90 deg FOV, but that still give you some distortion in regard to distance in the footage.

I can see that with a dashcam maybe proving that you did not follow too close could be a problem, but other than that the cameras document pretty good all you do with your vehicle, and so if you do nothing wrong what ever happen can not be your fault.
As a bonus the camera also record a lot of other things, some times even a license plate, which would be nice not least if you experience a hit and run, but other than that what else a dashcam record is just icing on the cake, and not something you should put too much trust in.
Many people get frustrated with plate capture, but to do that you need good weather or at least a fair amount of light, cuz the time a oncoming car are in the sweet spot are just 5 - 10 frames at best.
Thats one reason i have a "zoom" camera too, to capture plates further out and at a more direct angle, VS the wide angle that capture the plates when it is around 45 degrees to the side of the car and rapidly disappearing out of sight.
And even if the speed are the same i feel like when the license plate come "direct" at the camera the chance are a little better opposed to when it is offset to the side, the time frame where the plate are in focus are also a bit larger with a zoom camera, but of course due to the narrow FOV of such a lens the camera are out of view from that camera when it enter the sweet spot for the normal camera.

Alternative you can go for a 4K camera, that allow for some digital zoom, so on days with good light you should be able to read a plate further out ( only a car length or two ) but the distorted feel of distance in the footage are the same as those cameras also use a wide angle lens.

You have to remember a dashcam are in essence a event logger, it is not a cinematic camera, so if you are into creating nice drive videos a dashcam are not optimal, most that make such videos actually use a regular camcorder.

If you look at drone racers, they too use a wide angle lens even with all its drawbacks, they do so as they want to be able to see as much of the "track" and other drones they race against.
But to really do that you have to practice for a long time and get a feel for the offset perspective, but once you master that you can thread your race drone thru a 1 x 1 M gap at very high speeds.

If you imagine they only saw the middle 1:4 of this footage, it would be impossible to navigate from not least at speed, and these guys and the track are not overly fast or complicated.

Hi both,

So based on your opinions and prior use of dashcams would you both say that my issue with the footage stems from the fact my camcorder is a 170° wide angle camcorder?

On my journey to work in the morning I will use KamKars experiment of reading license plates and stating roughly how far away the vehicle ahead is and post the video for you both. Hopefully that will help illustrate my issue.

Thank you both for your kind input through the afternoon.
Ben

So based on your opinions and prior use of dashcams would you both say that my issue with the footage stems from the fact my camcorder is a 170° wide angle camcorder?
Your issue is definitely a result of it being wide angle, I doubt that it is actually as wide as 170 degrees, but it is probably wider than most decent dashcams. A typical dashcam will still cause a little of that issue, but most people soon get used to it. Some dashcams are narrower and don't cause the issue. If you go for a 12mm lens then you have the opposite issue.

I suggest you look at a few videos on Youtube from known cameras, and see what looks right to you. Try the Viofo A119 V3 since that is one of the narrower ones, then compare it with the Viofo A129 Pro which is somewhat wider but being a 4K resolution camera, I often watch footage from that zoomed in x2 which removes the issue, there is still plenty of detail when zoomed in.

Your issue is definitely a result of it being wide angle, I doubt that it is actually as wide as 170 degrees, but it is probably wider than most decent dashcams. A typical dashcam will still cause a little of that issue, but most people soon get used to it. Some dashcams are narrower and don't cause the issue. If you go for a 12mm lens then you have the opposite issue.

I suggest you look at a few videos on Youtube from known cameras, and see what looks right to you. Try the Viofo A119 V3 since that is one of the narrower ones, then compare it with the Viofo A129 Pro which is somewhat wider but being a 4K resolution camera, I often watch footage from that zoomed in x2 which removes the issue, there is still plenty of detail when zoomed in.
Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately i have got home and realised that i had accidentally turned the audio recording off when playing with it so it didn't capture my license plate and distance call outs. I have corrected this and hopefully i can deliver the footage tomorrow.

Kind regards,
Ben

Hi Both,

I have managed to capture the video now. I have explained all in text form within the video, there is no sound (explained).

Please give me your honest opinions.

Kind regards,
Ben

if this is 2 car lengths how wide is the average house in your area?

car lengths.jpg

the lens on your camera is not particularly wide either, maybe 110° horizontal viewing angle

You must be being deceived by the wide angle lens, it is only one Merc. length:

1605910579488.png

Hi Both,

Maybe, the distance estimations were a bit off but as i said it was approx.

In case you were wondering my dashcam is mounted behind the rear view mirror, could this be the issue?

You must be being deceived by the wide angle lens, it is only one Merc. length:

View attachment 54268
Given you can tell approx distance better in this image than my estimates, and at this point i could still easily read the reg plate in reality, what would you say?

Kind regards,
Ben

There is a chance we will see distance measurements to other cars some time soon, maybe not directly in the cameras but at least in the player software.

Hi Both,

Maybe, the distance estimations were a bit off but as i said it was approx.

In case you were wondering my dashcam is mounted behind the rear view mirror, could this be the issue?

Given you can tell approx distance better in this image than my estimates, and at this point i could still easily read the reg plate in reality, what would you say?

Kind regards,
Ben
there's a couple of issues I can see, the quality is poor (YouTube isn't great for judging quality but even allowing for that it doesn't look good), a higher quality camera is going to deliver better results, that aside the distances you're expecting to view plates from only account for a few pixels in height, you either need more pixels, or you need to adjust your expectations

Back