Is there a dash cam that fits my desired spec?

Given you can tell approx distance better in this image than my estimates, and at this point i could still easily read the reg plate in reality, what would you say?
I'm not sure what the issue is?

Are you concerned about not being able to read the reg plate, or is it only the incorrect perception of distance that you are worried about?

As evidence, there isn't really an issue with the perception of distance since we can count the white centre lines which are of standard length and thus get accurate measurements, however if you are using it for insurance issues then I would want to zoom it in a bit to make it look more natural since convincing your insurance company to take your side is about perception rather than forensic analysis of your video frames.

Very few dash cameras will read plates at the same distance that a perfect human eye will, even most of the 4K resolution cameras will fail since a sensible design will use a lot of the extra resolution to get a wider field of view so that it misses less of the action off the side of the frame, and you are not going to collide with someone at that distance, so it doesn't matter if you can't read it until it gets closer, you only need one readable video frame for evidence purposes.

The biggest issue I see in your video is the appalling video quality, you can't read any of the plates however close they are. Even though the truck in my frame grab above has its plate very close, I can't even count the number of characters! However you can view it with a natural field of view, either by zooming in a bit, or by watching it on a very large screen, or by moving your eyes closer to a smaller screen.

Most of the decent dashcams have a sensible field of view for how they are used, so my suggestion is that you just choose something from the recommended list and ignore the "170 degrees" advertising claims because they are never accurately measured, even on the better dash cameras, if the field of view of a camera is not sensible then it will not be in the list:

Back