Is there a Thinkware U3000 vs. BlackVue DR770 Box Cloud Features Comparison?

Elbeau

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a BlackVue DR770X Box, which I got mainly for its cloud features. But its video quality is just average and I've had a number of issues. I know the Thinkware U3000 has the Sony Starvis IIs. But would like to see a comparo on the cloud features.

I have a BlackVue DR770X Box, which I got mainly for its cloud features. But its video quality is just average and I've had a number of issues. I know the Thinkware U3000 has the Sony Starvis IIs. But would like to see a comparo on the cloud features.

Blackboxmycar did a comparison a month ago.

Blackboxmycar did a comparison a month ago.
Thanks. It has some good info. But it's already a bit out of date as it doesn't mention Thinkware's recently incorporated f/r radar that now allows for cloud covered motion sensing. Or BV'S recently reduced cloud pricing. For my purposes, the extended run time of the TW is a big plus, as long as its cloud features are as robust as BV. With the addition of the radar, it seems like it might. Although the radar doesn't have buffering.

Thanks. It has some good info. But it's already a bit out of date as it doesn't mention Thinkware's recently incorporated f/r radar that now allows for cloud covered motion sensing. Or BV'S recently reduced cloud pricing. For my purposes, the extended run time of the TW is a big plus, as long as its cloud features are as robust as BV. With the addition of the radar, it seems like it might. Although the radar doesn't have buffering.
Unfortunately, the radar parking mode shuts down the network functions as part of its low power state, so the cloud is not available when using radar. They do claim that the radar is buffered though; my presumption in how it would accomplish that is it functions the same as the motion detection parking mode, but uses the radar to determine when to write to the sd card rather than a processing algorithm.

A big difference in the cloud features for me is the remote file download. Blackvue has that, while Thinkware doesn't from what I've seen.

I don’t think Thinkware’s cloud works simultaneously with radar as part of the energy saving mode. I just checked with my parked U3000 and it’s not letting me access the cloud to livestream now because it’s parked in radar mode.
That's what I thought because the camera is powered off unless radar detects something, which is also why it can't buffer. But, it doesn't have motion detection, otherwise, correct?

I have a BlackVue DR770X Box, which I got mainly for its cloud features. But its video quality is just average and I've had a number of issues.
This is why I replied to your wish for Viofo to add the Cloud.

Screenshot 2023-09-17 1.55.55 AM.png
I have a BlackVue DR770X Box, which I got mainly for its cloud features. But its video quality is just average and I've had a number of issues. I know the Thinkware U3000 has the Sony Starvis II
If you are considering a U3000 for better image quality you will be disappointed.

You can have the cloud, but you can't have the best image quality.
You can have the best image quality, but you can't have the cloud.
Or, you can't kill two birds with cake, and eat it too. lol
-Chuck

They do claim that the radar is buffered though; my presumption in how it would accomplish that is it functions the same as the motion detection parking mode, but uses the radar to determine when to write to the sd card rather than a processing algorithm.
The radar wakes the camera up and starts the buffering, an impact will then write the buffered video to memory card. If the radar wakes the camera up, but there is no impact then it will go back to sleep without writing anything to memory card.

At least that is how I think it works...

Working like that, the pre-buffer is going to be short, and very short for a high speed impact, but the long parking mode duration makes it worthwhile.

From what I've seen, the radar motion parking mode isn't buffered because the camera is off until radar detects motion. Therefore, there is no way it can record (or store) anything prior to the motion. But, if it can wake and store very quickly after notion I'd detected, the extra run time would be worth it - if the cloud viewing was still available. But, obviously, if the camera is actually off, you can't have live view or otherwise access it via the cloud. Of course, the same is true if tge camera is shut down due to low voltage cut-off.

This is why I replied to your wish for Viofo to add the Cloud.

View attachment 67537

If you are considering a U3000 for better image quality you will be disappointed.

You can have the cloud, but you can't have the best image quality.
You can have the best image quality, but you can't have the cloud.
Or, you can't kill two birds with cake, and eat it too. lol
-Chuck
Well, I would imagine the Sony Starvis II in the Thinkware would still give better quality than the BV without it.

From what I've seen, the radar motion parking mode isn't buffered because the camera is off until radar detects motion. Therefore, there is no way it can record (or store) anything prior to the motion.
If radar sensing is on then the camera is on. It may not be recording to the memory card but it could be buffering to internal memory, and then when the radar is activated write the buffer contents to the card. The motion detection of the Vantrue S1-Pro you're currently evaluating works that way, just using a different technology - sensor motion detection versus radar motion detection.

If radar sensing is on then the camera is on. It may not be recording to the memory card but it could be buffering to internal memory, and then when the radar is activated write the buffer contents to the card. The motion detection of the Vantrue S1-Pro you're currently evaluating works that way, just using a different technology - sensor motion detection versus radar motion detection.
Correct. Thinkware states it's 10 seconds before and 10 secs after, so just like the motion recording but without all the power consumption or cloud.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230917_100325_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230917_100325_Chrome.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, I would imagine the Sony Starvis II in the Thinkware would still give better quality than the BV without it.
Incorect.
Without HDR the STARVIS 2 IMX678 is almost useless.
Did you not see Ben's comparison with the U1000?
Most of the time the U1000 had better image quality.

Ben can also answer all your questions about the U3000 parking mode.
He's spent 2-3 weeks testing it with real world hands on experience.
I have a U3000 for testing, but it's sitting in the box, and I'm thinking about sending it back because the image quality is so bad.
@safedrivesolutions

Correct. Thinkware states it's 10 seconds before and 10 secs after, so just like the motion recording but without all the power consumption or cloud.
Before and after what?

I assume it is before and after impact, however it can only record to the buffer if it is awake, so this requires that the radar wakes it up at least 10 seconds before the impact, which may happen in a car park with people manoeuvring, but most of the time is unlikely. If you are parked on a street and a vehicle approaches and impacts at 30mph then buffering will start after the impact, not 10 seconds before.

(I don't have a U3000, so I don't have proof that this is what happens.)

Without HDR the STARVIS 2 IMX678 is almost useless.
That is not true, it is a good sensor, and considerably better than any sensor previously used in dashcams, but you can still quite easily make a poor quality camera using it!

What I read - and saw in a video - is that only the radar module is on when using radar parking mode. The rest of the camera is off until the radar detects something and then turns on the camera. There's no way the camera can be recording continuously and last that long on battery. Also, if the camera is on, it should be available via the cloud.

Before and after what?

I assume it is before and after impact, however it can only record to the buffer if it is awake, so this requires that the radar wakes it up at least 10 seconds before the impact, which may happen in a car park with people manoeuvring, but most of the time is unlikely. If you are parked on a street and a vehicle approaches and impacts at 30mph then buffering will start after the impact, not 10 seconds before.

(I don't have a U3000, so I don't have proof that this is what happens.)
Motion does not involve impact.

Motion does not involve impact.
Yes, in the manual, it says that Energy Saving mode only records on impact, but Radar mode records on both motion and impact.

Might get rather a lot of motion recordings then, since there should be motion every time the radar activates? But at least it stores the motion in a different folder to the impacts.

What I found in my U3000 testing, is that "Energy Saving" and "Radar" parking modes put the U3000 cameras into a deep sleep which results in a very low power consumption.

The video recorded for the initial triggering event for either of these two parking modes that causes the U3000 to be awakened will not contain buffered video. For these two parking modes, the U3000 powers up and starts recording within 2 to 3 seconds of the triggering event and it records a 20 second video. The U3000 stays "awake" (powered up) for a total of 60 seconds and if additional triggering events occur while it's powered up, the recorded video will contain buffered video before the triggering event (10 seconds before / 10 seconds after). If no additional triggering events occur within the 60 seconds while the U3000 is "awake", it will once again return to the a low power consumption state. When I tested radar parking mode, it only required motion within the firmware configured distance and field of view of the radar, it does not require an impact event to cause the video to be saved to the microSD card.

When I asked Thinkware marketing about how they're claiming the the radar parking mode is delivering buffered recordings all of the time, the response was that the radar would detect the motion before any impact occurs which would cause the U3000 to wake up hopefully before any impact occurs and capture the movements before any impact (if any). I understand what they're trying to say by making that statement, but I don't agree with it totally.

I'm still impressed the U3000 only takes 2 to 3 seconds from a powered off state or in "Energy Saving" or "Radar" parking mode for the U3000 to start recording!

Back